Question about a reflex suppressor

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

A-Rok
Senior Silent Operator

Question about a reflex suppressor

Post by A-Rok »

I've been designing my suppressor for a little while now, and had an idea, but I'm not sure if it would really do anything. My idea is a set of reverse cone baffles in the expansion chamber in the hopes of capturing some of the reflected gases and slowing them down a bit before they reach the main baffles. When I ran Cosmo through it, they didn't really seem to do anything.

This is my first Solid Works assembly, so it's a little rough, but this is the main idea. Thoughts? Just get rid of them, or do I have something here?

Here's a screen cap highlighting the baffles I'm talking about:

Thanks gents.
Thunderbolt Armory, LLC.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Re: Question about a reflex suppressor

Post by Bowen1911 »

I highly doubt those reverse cones would do anything besides make it really heavy.

Same with that endcap. is that an inch thick
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
A-Rok
Senior Silent Operator

Post by A-Rok »

Bowen1911 wrote:I highly doubt those reverse cones would do anything besides make it really heavy.

Same with that endcap. is that an inch thick
Let me re-direct you back to the part where I said it's a rough concept. I wouldn't be concerned with the weight of the reverse baffles, they're only .050" thick, I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra work to make them.
Thunderbolt Armory, LLC.
A-Rok
Senior Silent Operator

Post by A-Rok »

Alright, added another baffle in the end and slimmed down the end cap. I'll probably end up turning the end cap into another baffle of some kind down the road.
Thunderbolt Armory, LLC.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

well- my take ona reflex suppressor.

Yes the added volume is good, but since a silencer isn't technically a pressure vessel, the gas won't fill it up equally. It is more like a moving fluid.

From what I have seen, the reflex chamber doesn't see that much gas relative to the rest of the silencer, so those cones would just inhibit the fluid flow going that direction.

And with regards to the endcap, that is huge. Get rid of the cone part of it, and just make it like a U, where the | parts of the U are the threaded portion, and put another baffle in there without a spacer.
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

A-Rok wrote:Image

Alright, added another baffle in the end and slimmed down the end cap. I'll probably end up turning the end cap into another baffle of some kind down the road.

Neat. A suggestion on the end cap: place the 3 extra smaller holes in an
equilateral triangle surrounding exit hole.

As was stated the baffles to the rear might be redundant. Perhaps as we are free wheeling
insert a coarse 'wet sponge' material in the rear for evaporative moisture source.

Again, nice.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Another thought before first espresso, keep the end cap thick ... but
contour it out into a 'volcano' center with ridges. That plus the
equilaterally spaced exit holes could further break up the total acoustic
vector.

Best.
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

My 2 cents (some already said):

Remove the Baffles in the Reflex Chamber
Work on the Front Cap to lighten (U)
Work on a bushing to seal the reflex chamber
Give more room between the Reflex Baffle and the first Cone
Work on weldment points for the Muzzle holder and the Tube (or threading)
Work on threading the Caps
Work on sizing (let’s say 2/3 reflex, 1/3 rest, …)
Work on size the expansion room according to the estimated muzzle pressure
Sleeve for the Barrel or just two points of contact ?

Good job for being your first SW model. Keep working and posting !

Best,

Paul
The future is not waiting for us, it is waiting within us ...
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

A-Rok wrote:When I ran Cosmo through it, they didn't really seem to do anything.
If you used the express it's continuous simulation only. This means it will be calculated as if it was completely pressurized, and thus no gas will flow into it. I haven't figured out how to do a more realistic simulation, but if you figure it out please let me know. My gut feeling tells me the baffles will only reduce the flow into the telescopic chamber, but I've been wrong so often it's not even funny anymore :lol:
A-Rok
Senior Silent Operator

Post by A-Rok »

Bowen1911 wrote:well- my take ona reflex suppressor.

Yes the added volume is good, but since a silencer isn't technically a pressure vessel, the gas won't fill it up equally. It is more like a moving fluid.

From what I have seen, the reflex chamber doesn't see that much gas relative to the rest of the silencer, so those cones would just inhibit the fluid flow going that direction.

And with regards to the endcap, that is huge. Get rid of the cone part of it, and just make it like a U, where the | parts of the U are the threaded portion, and put another baffle in there without a spacer.
I copy all. I'll model up a few different end caps this weekend and post them, we can decide which one will probably be most effective.
Fulmen wrote:
A-Rok wrote:When I ran Cosmo through it, they didn't really seem to do anything.
If you used the express it's continuous simulation only. This means it will be calculated as if it was completely pressurized, and thus no gas will flow into it. I haven't figured out how to do a more realistic simulation, but if you figure it out please let me know. My gut feeling tells me the baffles will only reduce the flow into the telescopic chamber, but I've been wrong so often it's not even funny anymore :lol:
I'll try to remember to ask my Solid Works instructor for you, I'm still kind of in the learning stage myself. I'll let you know sometime next week!
Historian wrote:
Neat. A suggestion on the end cap: place the 3 extra smaller holes in an
equilateral triangle surrounding exit hole.

As was stated the baffles to the rear might be redundant. Perhaps as we are free wheeling
insert a coarse 'wet sponge' material in the rear for evaporative moisture source.

Again, nice.
The holes modeled in my end cap were simply for a pin wrench to tighten the end cap down. Has anybody tried extra through-holes in the end cap before? Are those what I'm seeing on a Gemtech Halo? I've never had the chance to play with one, but I always assumed those were blind holes for a take-down tool.

I was actually thinking of some type of porous media in the reflex chamber before a 2nd set of baffles came to me. Not a bad idea at all. I just need to find something that will hold up to the pressure and heat that builds up in the can.

Historian wrote:Another thought before first espresso, keep the end cap thick ... but
contour it out into a 'volcano' center with ridges. That plus the
equilaterally spaced exit holes could further break up the total acoustic
vector.

Best.
Why keep it thick? To act as a heat sink maybe? A "Devo" baffle machined into the end cap was forefront in my mind when I started thinking about a baffle in the end cap.

PaulNoiseLess wrote:Hi,

My 2 cents (some already said):

Remove the Baffles in the Reflex Chamber
Work on the Front Cap to lighten (U)
Work on a bushing to seal the reflex chamber
Give more room between the Reflex Baffle and the first Cone
Work on weldment points for the Muzzle holder and the Tube (or threading)
Work on threading the Caps
Work on sizing (let’s say 2/3 reflex, 1/3 rest, …)
Work on size the expansion room according to the estimated muzzle pressure
Sleeve for the Barrel or just two points of contact ?

Good job for being your first SW model. Keep working and posting !

Best,

Paul
Technically it will be three points of contact, but basically two. On my barrel, there's a small shoulder that the rear reflector will seat up against, and of course the bore in the rear reflector and the gas-thru thread block will be the other two points of contact. I'll have to pour over the math in calculating expansion room:muzzle pressure, I guess I should've payed more attention in math class, but then again I didn't know I would be building suppressors one day.
Last edited by A-Rok on Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thunderbolt Armory, LLC.
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

You have to give a pressure reliefe somewhere to get the gasses moving in the reflex, or it`s just dead space.
A-Rok
Senior Silent Operator

Post by A-Rok »

SRM wrote:You have to give a pressure reliefe somewhere to get the gasses moving in the reflex, or it`s just dead space.
For some reason my mind completely slipped on that. Looks like the reflex baffles are kind of useless, unless I suspended this baffle stack in another tube, route the gas out the back of the inner tube, reflect it back through the outer tube, and out of the end cap. I just feel like the amount of work and weight of the can at that point wouldn't be worth the extra few decibels of noise reduction.
Thunderbolt Armory, LLC.
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

Run a tube or two through the blast baffle into the second chamber, port the end of the tube to create a cross jet.
Lengthen the chambers a little but decrease towards the muzzle.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

SRM wrote:Run a tube or two through the blast baffle into the second chamber, port the end of the tube to create a cross jet.
Lengthen the chambers a little but decrease towards the muzzle.
What SRM said and get rid of that ridiculous 4 inch thick endcap.

-B