Mouse holes in K baffles

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Mouse holes in K baffles

Post by Enfield577 »

Sorry if you guys have answered this 100 time already, but why the mouse holes in K baffles, I can understand the 45 deg hole allowing gas access to the void behind the cone shape but why the additional hole in the side of the cone.

This lot is new to me so trying to learn lots

Thanks

Enfield577
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Mouse holes in K baffles

Post by Historian »

Enfield577 wrote:Sorry if you guys have answered this 100 time already, but why the mouse holes in K baffles, I can understand the 45 deg hole allowing gas access to the void behind the cone shape but why the additional hole in the side of the cone.

Thanks

Enfield577
I once explained this in terms of a fluid logic example of an pulsing water pic head
with no moving parts. Image the gasses as a mob of 5 a.m. first day discount shoppers
who are about to burst through the doors, overrunning a poor guard and each other.
[ Each part of the country has their particular set of 'savages' who come to mind, e.g., Filene's Basement, etc :) ]

Sending some into an expansion corridor somewhat relieves the mob pressure but eventually fills up the
that area. Either the frothing at the mouth wide eyed screamers come back whence they came or you open up a small
opening that they can more slowly enter the main stream and also run into the main mob interfering with and disrupting
their stampede.

The students grasped that right away and then easily proceeded to solve the coupled differential equations.
Metaphor ==>> Diagram ==>> Equations ==>> Solution.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

The mouse hole allows the gas pressure that has built up in the coaxial (outer) chamber to be directed back out and across the main gas flow thus causing it to disrupt.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

Is the mouse hole only on the front side of the cone ie picture 2

Is this ever referred to as a mouse hole or only as a "Dater Hole"
Mouse hole
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Thanks for the replies guys
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

the small round hole at the flat of the baffle is a dater hole and typically only in the first or blast baffle of a can.

the scoop you are looking at was done with a ball mill (more than likely) but has the same effect as boring at an angle as the original Micky Finn patent. there is a hole diagonally across form the scoop at the apex of the cone and then in older versions there is a mouse hole at the large diameter of the cone. this hole at the larger diameter is placed over where the scoop of the next baffle would be so it dumps gas into the stream and at the area of the scoop causing more turbulence. think of the gas as sorta zig-zagging through the can.

NP
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

None of the good K baffle cans use the mouse hole so I would skip it. Just put a dater hole in the blast baffle.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Schulze wrote:None of the good K baffle cans use the mouse hole so I would skip it. Just put a dater hole in the blast baffle.
specifically they dont use the hole at the larger diameter of the cone/ spacer. tirants and elements true, do not use this feature.
NP
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

delta9mda wrote:
Schulze wrote:None of the good K baffle cans use the mouse hole so I would skip it. Just put a dater hole in the blast baffle.
specifically they dont use the hole at the larger diameter of the cone/ spacer. tirants and elements true, do not use this feature.
As well as Elite Iron, Gemtech, or Coastal.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Schulze wrote:
delta9mda wrote:
As well as Elite Iron, Gemtech, or Coastal.
i dont take 2 of those seriously and gem-tech has only recently done anything worth while.

the original Finn patent has the hole at the large diameter of the cone but they also have features that no one is using in the newer baffles either. it all seems like a give and take.
NP
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

Which two do you not take seriously? Coastal has a K baffle .22 can that meters 5db better than an Element on a 16" barrel.

Gemtech's Multimount 9 is only a few db off the Tirant.
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

Historian wrote:
Enfield577 wrote:Sorry if you guys have answered this 100 time already, but why the mouse holes in K baffles, I can understand the 45 deg hole allowing gas access to the void behind the cone shape but why the additional hole in the side of the cone.

Thanks

Enfield577
I once explained this in terms of a fluid logic example of an pulsing water pic head
with no moving parts. Image the gasses as a mob of 5 a.m. first day discount shoppers
who are about to burst through the doors, overrunning a poor guard and each other.
[ Each part of the country has their particular set of 'savages' who come to mind, e.g., Filene's Basement, etc :) ]

Sending some into an expansion corridor somewhat relieves the mob pressure but eventually fills up the
that area. Either the frothing at the mouth wide eyed screamers come back whence they came or you open up a small
opening that they can more slowly enter the main stream and also run into the main mob interfering with and disrupting
their stampede.

The students grasped that right away and then easily proceeded to solve the coupled differential equations.
Metaphor ==>> Diagram ==>> Equations ==>> Solution.
Am I the only one that appreciated the mob reference? Well illustrated.
LP
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Schulze wrote:Which two do you not take seriously? Coastal has a K baffle .22 can that meters 5db better than an Element on a 16" barrel.
I was under the impression the Prodigy was for rifles and the Element was for pistols?
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

57fairlane wrote:
Schulze wrote:Which two do you not take seriously? Coastal has a K baffle .22 can that meters 5db better than an Element on a 16" barrel.
I was under the impression the Prodigy was for rifles and the Element was for pistols?
The Element is a better high pressure can but you can put it on a rifle. It is actually quieter on a pistol.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

The mouse hole in a K baffle allows the gas jet from the angled side wall to enter in front of the conical baffle.The dater hole in the large end of the conical spacer allows that space to fill at low back pressure and may provide turbulence in front of the next baffle and allow drainage.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Capt. Link. wrote:The mouse hole in a K baffle allows the gas jet from the angled side wall to enter in front of the conical baffle.The dater hole in the large end of the conical spacer allows that space to fill at low back pressure and may provide turbulence in front of the next baffle and allow drainage.
there is no dater hole in the large end of the cone. the dater hole is only located at the flat part of the baffle and usually at the blast baffle only.

the mouse hole is at the large diameter end of the cone and adjacent the other at the near apex of the cone (which is adjacent the scoop at the entrance at the flat) see my drawings above.
NP