Beer cap baffles for .22lr??

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

PostalGlock'n

Beer cap baffles for .22lr??

Post by PostalGlock'n »

Greeting all. This is my first post here.

I have been gleening knowledge and debating going the Form 1 way soon. Either a .22lr or 9mm AR can would be my first attempt.

Anyway, here I am drinking a cold one, reading over some interesting concepts on the freeze plug route. I don't know if it was in jest, but I think it was Subsonic who commented on using aluminum can bottoms for a .22 can in the future. I look down at the cap off my beer. It is a touch over 1", could be compressed to fit and would form well with the ball bearing method.

Please be gentle with me (like I said, it is my first time). Just a thought, or maybe just too many of the cold beer. (I am going to start popping the tops gently so not to deform too much.) :wink:
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Re: Beer cap baffles for .22lr??

Post by ghostdog662 »

Due to the ridges on the bottle cap, thin thickness of the cap, questionable metal used to make them and uncertain concentricity, they make poor candidates.
LP
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

If you where at a place where you didnt had to pay the $200 tax stamp , would say , try , just for the fun of it

but the $200 tax stamp really takes the fun part away

You still have to make the tube and endcaps and threading
better to make it right the first time
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Stamped and pre-drilledit might make a durable "wipe" but it seems hardly worth the effort.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

PostalGlock'n wrote:Greeting all. This is my first post here.

I have been gleening knowledge and debating going the Form 1 way soon. Either a .22lr or 9mm AR can would be my first attempt.

Anyway, here I am drinking a cold one, reading over some interesting concepts on the freeze plug route. I don't know if it was in jest, but I think it was Subsonic who commented on using aluminum can bottoms for a .22 can in the future. I look down at the cap off my beer. It is a touch over 1", could be compressed to fit and would form well with the ball bearing method.

Please be gentle with me (like I said, it is my first time). Just a thought, or maybe just too many of the cold beer. (I am going to start popping the tops gently so not to deform too much.) :wink:
Welcome. Cherish your freewheeling flashes of creativity on the subject. Such musings
often lead to real insights that would not have arisen without the first 'stone in the pond'
thought. The "100 DB suppressor" is the goal.

As a departed physicist buddy often said "We are just cosmic hockey pucks
in God's four dimensional ice rink". Chaos is indeed the engine of life and creative thought.

As a very wise member of this site knows that, for instance, just looking at a stack of telephone
books raises the creative juices of our brethren.

Perhaps in your next musings with the help of the elixir of life you might ponder what
about the beer caps caused you to make the suppressor association. Geometry? Shape?
Manufacturing? Crenelations for sound disruption/dispersal?

The particular 'beer cap' was an external symbol of an associative process of your consciousness that
your mind/brain's metaphoric designer was communicating to you.

"Ask it!" by tossing about the various parameters.
As for beer brewing it has been said that it gave rise to civilization as it was
a supply of pure water, vitamins, etc. ( Also tipsy marriage proposals without which
we, eons later, would not be here. :) :) )

Supporting story, Discovery of Benzene Ring from WIKI:

".. Kekulé spoke of the creation of the theory. He said that he had discovered the ring shape of the benzene molecule
after having a reverie or day-dream of a snake seizing its own tail
(this is a common symbol in many ancient cultures known as the Ouroboros or Endless knot).
This vision, he said, came to him after years of studying the nature of carbon-carbon bonds."
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

PostalGlock'n wrote:Greeting all. This is my first post here.

I was thinking the same thing on saturday. Imagine what your sot would say when you ask him to replace the stack! lol :lol:
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

Beer caps for Suppressing Guns ?, yes, far easier than Suppressing beer caps with a Gun (I did, I did, I did , … after a hundred tries !)

Welcome and keep drinking, I mean, trying …

Best,

Paul
The future is not waiting for us, it is waiting within us ...