Angles?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

BretJ
Silent Operator

Angles?

Post by BretJ »

With regards to cone style baffles (and others as well), 60 degrees seems to be a standard. Is this because it is more efficient at stripping away high velocity gasses than say 45? I understand the requirements for volume/turbulence/cooling in regards to rimfire and centerfire but am unable to find any definitive answer as to why 60 degrees other than it sounds better. Going to submit a form 1 and throw $200 at theory. I want to try a few things learned over the years as a graduate of the "TLAR" school of engineering.

"The opposite of hero is not villain. It is bystander"

Bret
"The opposite of hero is not villain. It is bystander."

"In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty."
Saint Aurelius Augustine

Bret
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Angles?

Post by Bendersquint »

BretJ wrote:With regards to cone style baffles (and others as well), 60 degrees seems to be a standard. Is this because it is more efficient at stripping away high velocity gasses than say 45? I understand the requirements for volume/turbulence/cooling in regards to rimfire and centerfire but am unable to find any definitive answer as to why 60 degrees other than it sounds better. Going to submit a form 1 and throw $200 at theory. I want to try a few things learned over the years as a graduate of the "TLAR" school of engineering.

Bret
Do you need any more than this? Seems like you have your answer; because it sounds better.

-B
BretJ
Silent Operator

Post by BretJ »

:lol: ...ok...I set myself up for that. I guess I need to phrase the question differently... Does the 60 degrees strip the gasses away more efficiently than a more severe/less severe angle or is it the most efficient because of length limitations. Second question-Are the specific angles more critical with regards to rimfire/centerfire?
I know these are odd questions but I am trying to wrap my brain around how these work. I have shot plenty of suppressed weapons in my lifetime and am ready to build one of my own.
Last edited by BretJ on Tue May 10, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint Aurelius Augustine

Bret
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

I'm going to take a guess and say that the 60 degree angle of the cones is a compromise.
Too steep and the can becomes too long (with dB being equal), too shallow and you would need more
for the same sound reduction, again making the can too long.

Cone-shaped baffles in and by themselves are not the ideal solution, hence the various other designs
that include mouse-holes, hemispherical shaped capture recesses and the like.
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
BretJ
Silent Operator

Post by BretJ »

That certainly helps. My design is a hybrid design and I wanted to keep the angles similar to allow parts interchange within the can. (It will make much more sense when I post a model of the design) Guess I will submit the form 1 and fine tune the design while I wait.

Saint Aurelius Augustine

Bret
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

Think of the supersonic bullet and the bow waves it produces. It does have influence on the gasses movement inside the can. Angle and spacing go hand in hand. Add some ports and think somemore...
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

Bendersquint wrote:
BretJ wrote:With regards to cone style baffles (and others as well), 60 degrees seems to be a standard. Is this because it is more efficient at stripping away high velocity gasses than say 45? I understand the requirements for volume/turbulence/cooling in regards to rimfire and centerfire but am unable to find any definitive answer as to why 60 degrees other than it sounds better. Going to submit a form 1 and throw $200 at theory. I want to try a few things learned over the years as a graduate of the "TLAR" school of engineering.

Bret
Do you need any more than this? Seems like you have your answer; because it sounds better.

-B
b-b-bu-bu-bu-buuutt that makes sense!!!!
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

BretJ wrote:That certainly helps. My design is a hybrid design and I wanted to keep the angles similar to allow parts interchange within the can. (It will make much more sense when I post a model of the design) Guess I will submit the form 1 and fine tune the design while I wait.
Please do post your design! We like eye candy.
BretJ
Silent Operator

Post by BretJ »

SRM wrote:Think of the supersonic bullet and the bow waves it produces. It does have influence on the gasses movement inside the can. Angle and spacing go hand in hand. Add some ports and think somemore...
Hmmmm...that adds another dimension I had not thought about. That is, how do you prevent the pressure waves from interacting and amplifying themselves. In my line of work, we use the mach stem effect to our advantage for explosive cutting and breaching purposes. I can certainly see how it is a disadvantage in a suppressor. I really appreciate that bud. Gives me a whole new angle of approach. Wish I could talk some folks at Sandia into giving me some Cray time.....

Saint Aurelius Augustine

Bret
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

Looking at the whole picture, you'll need to consider how sounds reflects from, travels through, is absorbed by and resonates in different materials
as well. So not only the shape of the parts and their materials but how they are attached or fitted to one another can have a profound effect
on its performance.
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

Who the hell said “Cray” ?, F--k that’s where I started on High End Computing long time ago …

My first one was a Cray 1 (still running COS) and the second one was XMP/14se (running UNICOS) and then I moved to USA (California and Minnesota).

F--k !, sorry for this “deyabu” … I spent more than 7 years on that world, you know … What to say about MPP machines …

Ok, ok, sorry about this … keep talking about Cones and sorry for the interruption.

Best,

Paul
The future is not waiting for us, it is waiting within us ...
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

I think Paul is having fun here!
You fellers lost me with the crayon thing.
Golf_1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Golf_1911 »

I use angle as following ;

60 degree for my cone baffle with .22lr
30 degree for my step baffle with high velocity ammo larger than .223
Silent But Death!!!