Can we get a forum owned suppressor design.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Re: Can we get a forum owned suppressor design.

Post by Twinsen »

Designed by committee.

tjsr19

Post by tjsr19 »

It gets you where you need to be.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Unfortunately, this thread is NOT going in the direction I had hoped it would.

Back to my shot-hole.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

Wicked:

Bendersquint is giving you the answer: Nobody is going to post their most important info unless they are protected. And we can’t be protected. Also, 90% of Pics of good designs are gone now. You can tell me that you’ve got a copy but if you’ve got a copy and I’ve got the original, you are done. And the IPs are all logged. No chance of a “library”. Each one has its own, you know …

If we start a Design from scratch (like Mr. tjsr19) is trying to do, then it’s Open Source and can be published/used by anyone, everywhere.

Going back to our new design, OK QD like YHM but you have to think on how you want it and draw some basic dimensions (no matter if it’s a hand drawing, just scan and post the pic). It must be new, for instance, not a Copy & Paste. QD is not the issue but think on details like threading at the Barrel Side, length, shape for the muzzle brake, …

This is not an on-line Pizza Service where they have the base and you just order the topics, you know … It’s going to be the Perfect Can.

Still missing Caliber. Saw some comments but the Tube is the Tube and we must stick on that one. Some help: .308WM Compact – High Performance - Can ?

Best,

Paul
The future is not waiting for us, it is waiting within us ...
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

PaulNoiseLess wrote:Bendersquint is giving you the answer: Nobody is going to post their most important info unless they are protected. And we can’t be protected. Also, 90% of Pics of good designs are gone now.
I'm not so sure that folks won't share their stuff; I openly did it. Nothing proprietary in the design or construction; so nothing to 'protect.' Besides, I'm not in the 'can' making business, so who cares? It's not groundbreaking suppressor technology, but it still works fantastically well. My build did require extensive shop skills, but it could be made with less precision at the cost of a little performance. It's PROVEN. No guess work involved. You make what I made, the way I made it and you will get safe, solid performance.

The only thing I didn't post was prints of my build, as I only did them old school -2D on paper. There were never any SolidWorks files, therefore no fancy pictures. I'm sure someone here could draw it up easily enough if they had the desire. Unfortunately, I just don't have the skills. I did however post plenty of pics and gave very detailed descriptions and dimensions. There's plenty of information to work from. I'm sure you (or anyone else) would be able to re-create the suppressor I built from the information provided in my post on my 5.56mm build:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=65774

Every new guy always asks the same basic stuff, over and over: 1.) How think should my tube be? 2.) How large should the blast chamber be? 3.) How many baffles, what kind and how far apart? 4.) How long, what diameter and what material for the tube? 5.) Welded or threaded construction? 6.) Ect, ect....

I'm pretty sure the post on my build answers those questions directly. Is what I built the final answer? No. There are many other ways to arrive at the same place, this is just one way that I did it. I'm not an engineer and I state so. There are things I'd do differently next time. But at least it's a safe, proven and effective starting point for someone with no reference. And that is exactly the information that most people are really looking to find here.
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

Wicked, When is # 2 comming around? #1 was sexy!!!!!

You could weld the core like AAC does and lighten the tube a little. cant wait to see it.

My coworker and myself are thinking of a f1. He has his ffl and can`t decide how to register it. I told him we could have a race with the ATF to see who gets the stamp first!! :lol:
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

What Wicked said +1

There are lots of folks on here that are happy to share their designs simply because they aren't trying to sell cans, they are just doing it because it's fun and challenging. If a suppressor company comes along and patents one of our ideas, then we have easily identified a company that has no integrity and they don't deserve to have our business. The world is unfortunately chocked full of assholes and I am sure the suppressor industry is no exception.

Though I consider it from time to time...in a pie in the sky sort of way.....I don't think I'm going to ever make a living building cans....I just enjoy it and don't mind helping other folks figure it out.
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

If you've looked inside enough rifle suppressors, you'll notice I used design and construction elements from OPS, Jet, SureFire, and AAC in my Form 1 can. I didn't 'invent' anything new. I simply constructed and assembled various pieces and parts from different manufacturers. I attempted to put my own spin on things and not directly 'rip-off' any one manufacturer. I tried not to blatantly violate any patents and feel I changed things up enough. Mostly it's other's ideas though.

So far, I've had two FFL/SOT's approach me with questions about this build. Both were respectful enough to ask before attempting anything. Not like they had to though, there's nothing secret or proprietary going on (otherwise, I wouldn't have shown you!). But, they did ask. Made me feel like there is some integrity out there. But yes, there are those who will snatch your ideas and call them their own. As long as you're not in the business of building suppressors professionally, why worry about it? You didn't lose any money; because you weren't going to make any money in the first place.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Wicked you stated that you combined known technologies added your own spin and created your own unique product.Clearly a scientific approach that allowed your creativity in the finished product.We may never agree as a group on a complete design but we may establish a data base for know designs and how they work.Take for example the reflective end cap of a suppressor what works and why.I personally would like to learn about end caps with radial holes adjacent to the bore and why/how gas is directed to theses radial holes and away from the bore.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

I have shared my designs freely. Partly because they aren't proprietary by nature (I've"borrowed" the basic design from existing designs) and partly because I have nothing to loose. I don't make a living out of this, even though we have made cans for sale. But these have been special designs like a reproduction of the Sten MKIII S where the external design and mount have been more important than the internals.

Besides, if I share something, others might share something I find useful.
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

OK, here we go again:

I did put a muzzle brake with a QD and the corresponding Rear Cap. I don’t have many experience in Muzzle Breaks and my library shows little number of entries but it’s just an approach to size the Can.

Due to the MB ability to extract and direct Gas, I think we can just go with an extra 0.750 inches of room for a total Expansion Room of 2.25 inches (including MB). That give us, roughly, 5.75 inches for a Baffle Stack. Playing with the Front Cap, we can increase the room up to 6 inches.

That room is enough to host 5 long Baffles (like K’s) or more than 6 if we go Cones or other short ones. We can also do Hybrids (mix them up).

Questions:

1) We need a spacer for the Blast (to keep Baffles aligned) and thinking on it there are two possibilities: A plain Spacer (adds weight to the Can) or just use Tube with thicker walls and we turn both sides to 1.62 ID and leave an embedded Spacer.
2) If we go to a plain Spacer, we can design a second point of alignment for the MB. What is good, by the way, for both integrity and concentricity.
3) If we go short Baffles, we can increase Blast but we can also mix both, large and short, to smooth the Blast and still stress at the Baffle Stack.

Weights as of now (all SS 304): MB (3 ounces), Rear Cap (4,25 ounces) and Tube (14 ounces). So we are already at 21.25 ounces what is not bad (jet !) if we include MB, if not 18,25 ounces and MB by its own … For instance, a good K-Baffles stack is going to cost 11.5 ounces and Cones more or less the same (but some more units). Hybrid, I don’t know but it’s all using SS 304. We can also consider having the last few Baffles in Alu 7075.

So, we can have a compact Can in the range of 9 (+Caps) long x 1.75 OD x 30 ounces. Not bad for a .308WM.

Next iteration ?

Best,

Paul

PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

By the way , I just forgot !

If we go the option of thicker walls Tube (turning to have an embedded Spacer) we can also go for a MonoCore with two points mount to the MB. Yep !, we can do it and I don’t think it’s ever been done before (I guess, don’t start shooting me if I’m wrong !).

I’ve done MonoCores before for .308WM using low speed ammo due to Alu but going SS for Tube and Caps, I truly believe we even go Alu 7075 for the Core (having some extra Expansion room).

Just a guess, you know …

Best,

Paul
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

this forum design thing is just kinda gay. im not holding anything back i share with those that have asked.
NP
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

Sorry about that, all we have now for this “forum design thing is just kinda gay” is the 9 inches x 1.75 inches Tube We’ve got and, sorry, you cannot “hold it in the back”, we just need it for the Suppressor.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We also have the muzzle brake but It’s juts 2 1/4 x 3/4 of an inch, you know …

:idea:

Best,

Paul
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Paul, are there things you need to tell us? its ok man, we are here for you.
NP
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

No, I don’t need anything from you.

If you’re looking for something to keep your back and ass busy, our Tube is not your best bet:

It’s for a Suppressor !, it’s not intended for fantasy, you know, … too rough …

Anyway, If you are so excited (about this particular Tube) I can turn one for you with smooth fillets …

Best,

Paul
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

dude, you keep talking gay stuff about tubes and asses. thats why i asked are there things you want to tell us?

i didnt offer you anything.
NP
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

horny?
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

yeah i think paul needs some assistance.
NP
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

That’s true.

Can we now keep moving with this Post or we just leave it here ?

I'm going to propose a new Baffle for this design, or i guess it's new ...

Best,

Paul
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

PaulNoiseLess wrote:Hi,

That’s true.

Can we now keep moving with this Post or we just leave it here ?

I'm going to propose a new Baffle for this design, or i guess it's new ...

Best,

Paul
I am confused, what are we doing? Designing a can? About the only input is from you Paul.

Guess I have lost track of this thread, is this going to be something that is designed and an SOT will make for like a limited edition thing or what?

-B
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

We need a cartridge first, I vote for the .223 Rem.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

you guys need to figure out wtf you are doing to actually start. this is a face palm thread. really.
NP
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

Bendersquint: Yes, you are right. Yes, I know the only input is from me. I’ve been asking for info and more inputs but no way: All I got was .308WM, QD Mount for a muzzle brake, light and not much more.

I think we have wasted a good opportunity to design a Can and have the full 3D model, 2D geometries, Blue Prints, BOMs, Shopping Cart for Materials, Construction Instructions, … posted in a nice ZIP file. Of course keeping track of how things change while you are Designing, component selection criteria’s, …. And lot more.

So, good luck. I’m busy now but I’ll try to join later on.

Best,

Paul
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

PaulNoiseLess wrote:Hi,

Bendersquint: Yes, you are right. Yes, I know the only input is from me. I’ve been asking for info and more inputs but no way: All I got was .308WM, QD Mount for a muzzle brake, light and not much more.

I think we have wasted a good opportunity to design a Can and have the full 3D model, 2D geometries, Blue Prints, BOMs, Shopping Cart for Materials, Construction Instructions, … posted in a nice ZIP file. Of course keeping track of how things change while you are Designing, component selection criteria’s, …. And lot more.

So, good luck. I’m busy now but I’ll try to join later on.

Best,

Paul
If the forum can come up with a full design, whatever it may be, I will offer to produce it as long as there is enough interest to make it worthwhile, custom serial numbers, limited edition etc...get the full potential out of the can.

Just a thought, what say the board?

-B