Has square tubing ever been used for a can?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

PostalGlock'n

Has square tubing ever been used for a can?

Post by PostalGlock'n »

This picture has me thinking whether square tubing with alternating horizonal/verticle baffles of this type would be feesable. I suspect the strength of the square would be less than that of a circular tube subjected to internal expansion.

Has it ever been tried? Any thoughts? I would remove the slot and move the small holes further from the center.
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Re: Has square tubing ever been used for a can?

Post by CThomas »

Sure another member here did a square can for an UZI. He posted an entire pictures series of his build. In fact I believe that the picture you posted originated from his thread. Silencerco has the Osprey which is more of a rectangle and AAC did a prototype can called the BlackBox which was also rectangular.

Osprey core below
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

CThomas wrote:Sure another member here did a square can for an UZI. He posted an entire pictures series of his build. In fact I believe that the picture you posted originated from his thread. Silencerco has the Osprey which is more of a rectangle and AAC did a prototype can called the BlackBox which was also rectangular.
Yeah what he said.

I do however want to make it a point that you are aware that its not at all recommended to be done with a rifle can, has a good chance and bursting at the corners, pressure doesn't like angles, especially hi pressure.

-B
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

It wouldn't roll off the table. :wink: Believe me, that's happened more than once and there's always a "heart in the throat" moment when an aluminum can hits the concrete garage floor.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
PostalGlock'n

Post by PostalGlock'n »

I found and read the build on the Uzi can. Nice. The video on YouTube is great.

I love the inspiration I gain from this site. :mrgreen: Keep up the great ideas.
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

PostalGlock'n wrote:I found and read the build on the Uzi can. Nice. The video on YouTube is great.

I love the inspiration I gain from this site. :mrgreen: Keep up the great ideas.
I don`t like the square thing, but I`m into centerfire.
It`s all about keeping an open mind:)