MY FIRST BUILD

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

saelliott69

MY FIRST BUILD

Post by saelliott69 »

First of all, this is my first post on here. Some of these questions have probably already been asked but there are like 110 pages in here, I don't have that much attention span.
I'm gonna build a suppressor BUT I can't make up my mind what to build.
What do y'all think?

1) 9mm for my M-11 (but it's just a semi auto)
problem is I only have the one weapon I could use it on, I would like something more versitile
2) Integrally suppress my S12
problem, well from what I keep hearing, it's almost impossible to get below 100 db. so whats the point.
3) .22 cal
the up side is I can use this one one multiple weapons, and is cheap and easy to build.

I REALLY want to do #2, but as I said, if I can't get down atleast below 100 db it's just not worth the time and money.
Any input will be greatly appreciated.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Re: MY FIRST BUILD

Post by yamatitan »

There is no suppressor in existence that goes below 100 decibels I suggest you dont waste your time in the suppressor game if thats what you want.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

dry firing a ruger 10-22 is louder than 100db. you can never get under or at 100. 110 is a very low number and only the really really best have touched that (that i can remember). s--t, airguns are louder than that.

pm me for help when you are ready
NP
saelliott69

Post by saelliott69 »

Ok, perhaps i'm asking the wrong question, or perhaps i'm just wording it wrong. I don't know.
Part of the problem for me is that there seems to be so much information, or should I say MISinformation.
I read on some pages that 140 db is the safe range for hearing, then I read 25 post of people saying that is wrong, and how 85 db is the safe range for hearing, then I read one post that started out as a question and ended up as a 4 page persecution of Red Jacket.
So if then, 85 db is the safe range for hearing, but no suppressor goes below 100 db...
You see my confusion. I came here because I figured this was the best place for me to get REAL information.
Let me put it another way, forget how many decibels it is, 85,100, or 140. I have read in a couple places that a 12 gauge suppressor only drops like 6 or 8 db. This was the original thought behind me saying it may not be worth while.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

i cant help with a shotgun suppressor but any other can, let me know.
NP
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

The answer for your question is another question: Are you a Reloader or have access to one ?

Build a good suppressor and tune up your ammo till you get what you need. Or close, you know … You’ll probably have to go subsonic ammo if you want to go below 100 dB. I do not have a dB meter pro but I have a .270 shooting at 82 dB (measured by a pro) and .22LR is more quite. None of the ammo used in both are subsonics.

There are so many variables in place that there is no way to have a chart on dB vs. Suppressor type.

Finally there are some places on the Internet that offer complete Commercial Reviews. They state gun, caliber, ammo, vendor, dB off, dB on, … there you can have an idea on what going on.

Best,

Paul
The future is not waiting for us, it is waiting within us ...