Alignment of .22lr K baffles

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Bluedog

Alignment of .22lr K baffles

Post by Bluedog »

I've noticed from pictures here on the forum, some manufacturers have tabs & notches to align the k baffles in their .22lr cans while others do not. Is there any benefit (accuracy or suppression) from aligning the k baffles a particular way? For example, the tac65 baffles do not while the AAC element do. Just getting my plan together while waiting on paperwork. Thanks!
rqlasl
Silent But Deadly

Re: Alignment of .22lr K baffles

Post by rqlasl »

There has to be a valid reason why they do, but I did my form 1 suppressor with K-baffles and have assembled it with the ports opposite each other, random, and in a straight line. And I have not been able to hear a difference. But my ear is not a calibrated decibal meter. I'm more than happy with my results.....Good luck
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rqlasl wrote:There has to be a valid reason why they do, but I did my form 1 suppressor with K-baffles and have assembled it with the ports opposite each other, random, and in a straight line. And I have not been able to hear a difference. But my ear is not a calibrated decibal meter. I'm more than happy with my results.....Good luck
Through all our testing as well we can't see any correlation to positioning of the ports to accuracy or sound reduction. Again as RQ said, we are not meters though we don't hear any difference, but we can see accuracy and haven't noticed any changes in that.

-B
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

I am thinking the notches can keep people from reinstalling these backwards (cone facing the gun instead of away). I accidentally did that on my tac65 and it was immediately apparent (loud as hell).
LP
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

ghostdog662 wrote:I am thinking the notches can keep people from reinstalling these backwards (cone facing the gun instead of away). I accidentally did that on my tac65 and it was immediately apparent (loud as hell).
Of course! Makes eminent sense.

For Emiio, could the explanation be BUENOS NOTCHES (sic)? :)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

ghostdog662 wrote:I am thinking the notches can keep people from reinstalling these backwards (cone facing the gun instead of away). I accidentally did that on my tac65 and it was immediately apparent (loud as hell).
That makes sense and it also makes customers think that there is more to the alignment than there really when there really isn't!

Once we have sound meters we will prove this.

We don't notice the difference neither does anyone on the ranges. But the sound meter will prove that some day.

-B
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Bendersquint wrote:
That makes sense and it also makes customers think that there is more to the alignment than there really when there really isn't!

Once we have sound meters we will prove this.

We don't notice the difference neither does anyone on the ranges. But the sound meter will prove that some day.

-B
+1, Mr. B., as usual.

Best
Bluedog

Post by Bluedog »

Thanks to everyone for the responses. Sounds like I won't go to the trouble to machine the tabs & notches.
robblg

Post by robblg »

Don't know if I would have told that... :lol: :lol: :lol:
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

robblg wrote:
Don't know if I would have told that... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh no , my online reputation, ahh I'm hideous.
LP