Great Metal Supplier

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

BELT_FED
Silent Operator

Great Metal Supplier

Post by BELT_FED »

Just wanted to pass on my experiance. I ordered a couple pieces of metal the other day for a project that had nothing to do with a gun. But on piece was damaged in shipping just slightly. And I had allready cut the piece to length before I reallized that it was bent to badly to use. I sent Onlinemetals.com an email explaining I didn't mind buying another piece, since id allready cutt it to length, but would ask if they would pack it by itself to ensure that it didn't get bent in shipping. It was packed very well when it was shipped to start with but there was more than one piecce in the box and they were different lengths. Anyway the email was sent on Friday afternoon real late. I received an email back from them on Monday with nothing more than a shipping comf. On Wednesday I received a new piece of metal. This by far the best custom service I've ever seen Nikon could learn a lot from these people.
I would recommend Onlinemetals.com to anyone.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Re: Great Metal Supplier

Post by redtazdog »

All the guy's at online are damn nice as I shop there all the time.
The scrap bens are fun to go through for real cheap
Tease Tease Yease
tmix
Silent But Deadly

Post by tmix »

I wish we had a decent metal supplier nearby. The place closest to me only carries mild steel. Stuff from their scrap bin, they charge normal per-foot rates. A piece of 1"x1/2" bar that is only 10" long will run me about $2.50.
Triple S steel in Houston is great, but they only sell in large quantities, i.e. 16' lengths.

I've ordered from onlinemeatals in the past. They have great customer service. But, unless I need something exotic, I try to source it elsewhere. They are too expensive. Especially when you figure in shipping costs.
[size=150]Machine gun snob by proxy. [/size]
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

I like how they send you discount codes to further tempt your bank account. I usually get the 10-12" random cut they have at a reduced price. 9 times out of 10 it is exactly 12" anyways.

The only inconvenience I have with them is taking off the wood endcaps they put on their tubes. It works at protecting the material but God bless America it's a PITA to remove. The UPS guy always looks at me like it's a pipebomb and hands it to me carefully like it might detonate otherwise. Quite entertaining.
LP
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

For those in New England, it is worth a trip down to the People's Republic
Of Massachusetts to Admiral Metals in Woburn. Fantastic selection of
odd lots paying just for the metal's weight. When you leave to 'escape' North across
the DMZ you feel a relief that you and your stash can breath free air. :) :)
tmix
Silent But Deadly

Post by tmix »

ghostdog662 wrote: The only inconvenience I have with them is taking off the wood endcaps they put on their tubes. It works at protecting the material but God bless America it's a PITA to remove. The UPS guy always looks at me like it's a pipebomb and hands it to me carefully like it might detonate otherwise. Quite entertaining.
Use a wood saw to cut the tube instead of fighting with the wood caps.
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

tmix wrote:
ghostdog662 wrote: The only inconvenience I have with them is taking off the wood endcaps they put on their tubes. It works at protecting the material but God bless America it's a PITA to remove. The UPS guy always looks at me like it's a pipebomb and hands it to me carefully like it might detonate otherwise. Quite entertaining.
Use a wood saw to cut the tube instead of fighting with the wood caps.
Hard to do when you're get it at work and can't wait to see the metal. :?
LP
sumkrnboy
Silent But Deadly

Post by sumkrnboy »

I've always been able to cut open the cardboard tubing with a pocket knife.
tmix
Silent But Deadly

Post by tmix »

sumkrnboy wrote:I've always been able to cut open the cardboard tubing with a pocket knife.
The stuff we're talking about has 3/8" walls.
stimpsonjcat
Silent But Deadly

Post by stimpsonjcat »

/salivates at the scrap bin pics/
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

When I ordered the tube for my 50 can from them it had a ding on the end. They sent me out a new one and said keep the old one. Great service.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA