Designing my own recoil booster,any experience in this area?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Re: Designing my own recoil booster,any experience in this a

Post by ChimeraPrecision »

PaulNoiseLess wrote:Hi,

OK, one of the issues you might have is that after shooting your Can doesn’t come back to the same axial radius. Consequently, next shot is not going to have the same POI. In other words, you have to keep the Gun having the same POI shot after shot.

Due to bullet spin, can will trend to rotate unless you have constant rails. Like Lavared is doing on his design.

Not screws inside ?, easy to figure out.

Mill/Lathe parts versus parts Lathe and parts Mill: What I’m trying to say is that stay away of complex parts. Expensive.

Now, it’s your call: You just posted a NO, NO, NO way design and now it’s time for you post something better. Work on it and come back for more.

Best,

Paul
Roger that,
Keep calm, and suppress on
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

design as knights did, the tabs are not there for looks. that keeps it orientated how you set it.
NP
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

delta9mda wrote:design as knights did, the tabs are not there for looks. that keeps it orientated how you set it.
any way you could link me to a pic of that way bro? I don't think im familiar with it
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

What Paul is saying is that if your piston is not secured against rotation, it will act like a gyroscope and rotate when fired, which may cause it to return to a different POI adjustment "tooth" or to jam. Adding rails or rods for it to ride on is the easiest way to accomplish this.

Avoiding mixed Lathe/Mill operations is ideal from a mass-production viewpoint. As an Industrial Engineer and suppressor designer, I can attest to how practical it is to be able to finish parts without requiring different machines. It reduces setup times/costs greatly.

Screws fall under small and finicky, fragile, easy-to-lose parts. However, I did use them in my latest .45ACP design, because they were the more practical option.

Thanks,
LavaRed
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

the can does not spin like a gyroscope. i dont know why people cant look at what has been done and at least learn from that.
KAC, AAC and SWR (yeah yeah GEMTECH too) have all been there and done it.
NP
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

delta9mda wrote:the can does not spin like a gyroscope. i dont know why people cant look at what has been done and at least learn from that.
KAC, AAC and SWR (yeah yeah GEMTECH too) have all been there and done it.
Ok. Bad example. But they do tend to counter-rotate. The twisted soft-steel rods on my first generation Mk.45 show it very well. Once I added the bushing and more solid rods, the effect disappeared.
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

Yes, the can trend to rotate. I had the same issue with the very first one I designed. It was simple, easy to build but had POI issues. And some times, jammed.

There are two different approaches to actually guide Piston motion (straight and always thru the same axial path): One is to mill guides inside the nut so Piston tooth just have a bed to move on or use some sort of locking nut design with rails in the nut where piston tooth (female side) will be on.

The first a approach is what I refer by Lathe then Mill the same part. The second one is just Lathe and the rails milled so they can all me made just in one set up and at the same time. Cheaper.

I have sold the new design already so can’t Post pics right now. I’m going to ask for permission to post. In the meantime, have a look to this and think about it.

http://grabcad.com/library/nut-lock-14-mm-tightener

It’s one of the solutions (not the only one) to remove the screw and actually have rock solid, straight and easy to clean rails like Lavared did.

I know AAC, Gemtech and others have excellent RBs but it doesn’t mean we can’t have fun. Every single time I open my Laptop it says “Starting up Inventor 2011 …” and that drives me to try to do new things or improve existing ones. Now, it’s up and running so some more coffee and back to work. It’s 5 am here and still too cold to have a walk with the dogs.

Best,

Paul
The future is not waiting for us, it is waiting within us ...
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Yes, the can trend to rotate. I had the same issue with the very first one I designed. It was simple, easy to build but had POI issues. And some times, jammed.

There are two different approaches to actually guide Piston motion (straight and always thru the same axial path): One is to mill guides inside the nut so Piston tooth just have a bed to move on or use some sort of locking nut design with rails in the nut where piston tooth (female side) will be on.

The first a approach is what I refer by Lathe then Mill the same part. The second one is just Lathe and the rails milled so they can all me made just in one set up and at the same time. Cheaper.

I have sold the new design already so can’t Post pics right now. I’m going to ask for permission to post. In the meantime, have a look to this and think about it.

http://grabcad.com/library/nut-lock-14-mm-tightener

It’s one of the solutions (not the only one) to remove the screw and actually have rock solid, straight and easy to clean rails like Lavared did.

I know AAC, Gemtech and others have excellent RBs but it doesn’t mean we can’t have fun. Every single time I open my Laptop it says “Starting up Inventor 2011 …” and that drives me to try to do new things or improve existing ones. Now, it’s up and running so some more coffee and back to work. It’s 5 am here and still too cold to have a walk with the dogs.

Best,

Paul
Brilliant! I'd never thought of that! :)
I was going for the approach where the screws would be milled into the endcap as studs, and you had to lift the rail legs out of them, one at a time. But your approach is very elegant, I must say.
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

I got the OK to post some Pics so i'll prepare and Post later on.

Best,

Paul
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

I got the OK to post some Pics so i'll prepare and Post later on.

Best,

Paul

great! looking forward to seeing them paul
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

OK, here we go: Version 2.4

It’s quite small with just 2.25 inches long (end to end). Floating Piston, held and guided by rails and rear exit channel. Vey low friction. 8 POI shift positions (pull and turn type). High temp Oringed (both, pistond and frame). 5/8 – 28 TPI muzzle thread. 5 coils spring. 45 ACP Pistols ready.

It’s quite different, isn’t it ?

6.5 inches unique MonoCore shape hanging on the other side (not shown). Just few weeks for the very first shot …

Best,

Paul

ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

OK, here we go: Version 2.4

It’s quite small with just 2.25 inches long (end to end). Floating Piston, held and guided by rails and rear exit channel. Vey low friction. 8 POI shift positions (pull and turn type). High temp Oringed (both, pistond and frame). 5/8 – 28 TPI muzzle thread. 5 coils spring. 45 ACP Pistols ready.

It’s quite different, isn’t it ?

6.5 inches unique MonoCore shape hanging on the other side (not shown). Just few weeks for the very first shot …

Best,

Paul

Can you post the monocore too please?
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

Yes, and also the Pistol !. I acutally got it on Inventor. Every single fucking part as to scale. Just to watch out what parts are not quiet enough ...

No, sorry i can’t. But, you know, it’s like any other MonoCore: holes here, there, angled cuts, slanted walls, chambers, protrusions, extrusions, blast’s, flushers, threads, o-rings, …

Just kidding man, no I can’t.

What about you Posting your progress on your ND ?. Or it happens that you have become lacy now …

Best,

Paul
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Yes, and also the Pistol !. I acutally got it on Inventor. Every single fucking part as to scale. Just to watch out what parts are not quiet enough ...

No, sorry i can’t. But, you know, it’s like any other MonoCore: holes here, there, angled cuts, slanted walls, chambers, protrusions, extrusions, blast’s, flushers, threads, o-rings, …

Just kidding man, no I can’t.

What about you Posting your progress on your ND ?. Or it happens that you have become lacy now …

Best,

Paul

I will post it when its ready stayed tuned no laziness here
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

:) :) :) :)

Move to Inventor, it's just faster and much better than SolidShit ... (Or it's ShitWorks, F--k !, don't remember now ...)

(Again, just kidding !)

Best,

Paul
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

Why not simply use a piston with a polygon head (like a machine screw). Plenty of mating surfaces and simple to make. A circlip on the outside of the piston should keep it together.
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Fulmen wrote:Why not simply use a piston with a polygon head (like a machine screw). Plenty of mating surfaces and simple to make. A circlip on the outside of the piston should keep it together.
I will say it again, I want to make a piston assembly with unlimited possibilities of engagement angle. this is why i scrapped the "gear" looking part in the new design for what im calling a "compression sleeve"
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

Simple things are for simple people and for Suppressor Manufacturers. We are very complex, sexy and sophisticated people who happen to enjoy Suppressors. And, now, that some CERN workers have re-discovered and re-invented the “neutrinos” the sky is the limit for us: We fail on a Design, no problem; back in time and try again … or we can go forward in time, take a Pic of the new AAC Can, come back home and just copy & paste or we can use “neutrinos” to actually suppress the sonic crack, fly sound and eco … think about it.

At some point there will be a site like www.online-neutrinos.com.

Mostly, kidding, you know …

Best,

Paul
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Simple things are for simple people and for Suppressor Manufacturers. We are very complex, sexy and sophisticated people who happen to enjoy Suppressors. And, now, that some CERN workers have re-discovered and re-invented the “neutrinos” the sky is the limit for us: We fail on a Design, no problem; back in time and try again … or we can go forward in time, take a Pic of the new AAC Can, come back home and just copy & paste or we can use “neutrinos” to actually suppress the sonic crack, fly sound and eco … think about it.

At some point there will be a site like http://www.online-neutrinos.com.

Mostly, kidding, you know …

Best,

Paul
:roll:
NP
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

OK, i see you don’t understand. Let me put it simple for you:

Neutrinos are tiny (really tiny) particles with almost zero mass and electrically neutral. They are pretty much the same than an electron but without electrical charge. That means they can travel long distances, really fast (faster than speed of light ?) and thru matter without many issue.

That means that if you manage to have a good punch of Neutrinos pushing a bullet while it fly, you take a shot today and hit the target yesterday. Everybody will know it’s been you who shot but you were at home and can prove it, you know …

Or, if you manage to build a Baffle out of Neutrinos, you don’t need to bore it out: Just have the gang blowing when the bullet passes … You can have 300 baffles in 1 inch Can (end to end).

Einstein !, F--k you !

Best,

Paul
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

OK, i see you don’t understand. Let me put it simple for you:

Neutrinos are tiny (really tiny) particles with almost zero mass and electrically neutral. They are pretty much the same than an electron but without electrical charge. That means they can travel long distances, really fast (faster than speed of light ?) and thru matter without many issue.

That means that if you manage to have a good punch of Neutrinos pushing a bullet while it fly, you take a shot today and hit the target yesterday. Everybody will know it’s been you who shot but you were at home and can prove it, you know …

Or, if you manage to build a Baffle out of Neutrinos, you don’t need to bore it out: Just have the gang blowing when the bullet passes … You can have 300 baffles in 1 inch Can (end to end).

Einstein !, F--k you !

Best,

Paul

:lol: this is just semantics but no object can exceed the speed of light, at that point the object will actually become more massive (increase is mass and size) Einstiens theory of relativity

here;s an interesting thougt, if you have ever seen the inside of an audio studio they have foam on the wall shaped pyramid like. theses cause disturbances in the wave and subsequent wave propogations. what if we could line the can with small metalic pyramids. id like to see how this plays out
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

The following statement is taken from the official PR from CERN (OPERA Project, related to Neutrinos) on the 23rd:

“The OPERA result is based on the observation of over 15000 neutrino events measured at Gran Sasso, and appears to indicate that the neutrinos travel at a velocity 20 parts per million above the speed of light, nature’s cosmic speed limit.”

The full press release at:

http://public.web.cern.ch/press/pressre ... 9.11E.html

So, again, F--k Mr. Einstein and welcome the Neutrinos era !

BTW, where is this new ND design ?. Forget the pyramids and get back to work !

Best,

Paul
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

ChimeraPrecision wrote: here;s an interesting thougt, if you have ever seen the inside of an audio studio they have foam on the wall shaped pyramid like. theses cause disturbances in the wave and subsequent wave propogations. what if we could line the can with small metalic pyramids. id like to see how this plays out
I am already working on something around these lines. I have been for months, although with severe time and monetary constrains, as apparently growing up means one takes on an inordinate amount of new responsibilities.

At any rate, I do believe you will not be disappointed with the results :)
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

So seems you’ve got a … Baby now !

s--t !, they are all really, really loud … and nasty … and expensive … try sugar or consider moving to another Country …

Best,

Paul
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

So seems you’ve got a … Baby now !

s--t !, they are all really, really loud … and nasty … and expensive … try sugar or consider moving to another Country …

Best,

Paul
No, unfortunately no baby yet. Just more responsibilities, a fixed income, dramatically rising food prices, etc. Having a coffee farm is not really that profitable anymore, when you consider that you have around 200 people that depend on you for food, shelter, and all sorts of expenses. The real money is made by the exporters, not us producers.
And my country isn't doing too well at the moment I'm afraid. I really need a vacation.