Silica aerogel monocore

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Jowijtawe

Silica aerogel monocore

Post by Jowijtawe »

Anyone ever tried this? It seems to me that if you could get the gel to retain its structural integrity during shots, it'd be absolutely amazing at dB reduction. Its usable lifespan is going to be very poor unless you use squeaky-clean propellants, so you'd probably have to live somewhere that doesn't have gigantic taxes on suppressor parts. Machining can be done with a drill bit if you are so inclined, but if you're trying to work with aerogels for the first time, note that the dust presents a small health hazard.
mollinst
Industry Professional

Re: Silica aerogel monocore

Post by mollinst »

Have you ever actually seen or held a piece of aerogel?

Bill
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

I've played with Aerogel. It's brittle, extremely porous and liquid (read: humidity) will absolutely destroy it.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
mollinst
Industry Professional

Post by mollinst »

My point exactly. filling any space in a suppressor with Aerogel, to paraphrase Bender, Would be like bringing a rubber band gun to a Howitzer shoot off.

Bill
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

mollinst wrote:My point exactly. filling any space in a suppressor with Aerogel, to paraphrase Bender, Would be like bringing a rubber band gun to a Howitzer shoot off.

Bill
Nailed it Bill!