Expansion chamber ratio differences in monocore vs k baffle

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

eseaton
Silent But Deadly

Expansion chamber ratio differences in monocore vs k baffle

Post by eseaton »

I am no engineer but am interested in how the different sizes of expansion chambers affect performance and how these differences compare in monocores vs. k style baffles.
I know this is elementary to the experts but would appreciate an explaination.

Thank you.

eseaton
Last edited by eseaton on Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Re: Expansion chamber ration differences in monocore vs k ba

Post by ghostdog662 »

An important consideration is barrel length. Longer the barrel = the smaller the expansion chamber you can get away with. When you look at commercial cans they design around the shortest length you will be placing them on for safety.

What caliber in-particular were you looking at ? Rifle / Pistol? Subsonic / full load etc.
LP
eseaton
Silent But Deadly

Re: Expansion chamber ration differences in monocore vs k ba

Post by eseaton »

ghostdog662 wrote:An important consideration is barrel length. Longer the barrel = the smaller the expansion chamber you can get away with. When you look at commercial cans they design around the shortest length you will be placing them on for safety.

What caliber in-particular were you looking at ? Rifle / Pistol? Subsonic / full load etc.

I will say let's look at how this all applies in the 22 l.r. round in general used on a carbine and average length pistol since there have been so many versions of suppressors made for this round. Without mentioning company names, I have a monocore and two other style baffle stacks in my cans. They are all different in respect to percentage of expansion area. I wondered if there is a "formula" for how this space is calculated.

Eseaton
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Re: Expansion chamber ratio differences in monocore vs k baf

Post by 57fairlane »

the other variable in play is total length.

K baffle cores (from my experience) do best with a shorter length as opposed to a monocore. Every monocore I ever made/tested had lower FRP once you started adding length.
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

Blast chamber sizing is not related to Baffles and/or Core being used.

It’s related to where you actually “receive” the Blast (maximum ignition point) and how you “welcome” it in terms of geometry (first baffle Geometry): K’s are not good for “welcoming” flames for the same reason they are good for managing gas.

Best,

Paul
The future is not waiting for us, it is waiting within us ...
eseaton
Silent But Deadly

Post by eseaton »

PaulNoiseLess wrote:Hi,

Blast chamber sizing is not related to Baffles and/or Core being used.

It’s related to where you actually “receive” the Blast (maximum ignition point) and how you “welcome” it in terms of geometry (first baffle Geometry): K’s are not good for “welcoming” flames for the same reason they are good for managing gas.

Best,

Paul

I believe I understand what you mean by where the blast is received. I cannot picture why the shape of the initial baffle would make a bigger difference than possibly the initial expansion chamber. I have one can with almost no volume to expand in and two other designs totally different.
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

Now this is a good thread here.
.22 LR. An interesting caliber and its been around for ever. Oh, it`s just a 22 you say. I think the .22lr is the hardest to kill the frp of all the calibers. Ok, I`ll stop thinking and just respond. Centerfire pistol is prone to the frp also. It`s the low volume of the charge.

A few cans come to mind here; Kodiac, Element, Sparrow, and Specter.
The first two pretty much have a small blast chamber and negligeable frp. The last two have frp and have a large blast chamber compared to the first.

Just keep the gasses movin foreward and slow`em down slowly.

Another just popped into mind is the Xcaliber by Tittsworth. No frp and look at the size of the initial chamber! This is all speculative and is from what I`ve learned from the web. Afterall, there aren`t very many sites to check out NFA.