My Completed 25 dollar freeze-plug .223 can...

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

sgms18

Re: My Completed 25 dollar freeze-plug .223 can...

Post by sgms18 »

I wana do something very similar to this with a Bulgy ak74 muzzle brake to use on my 5.45 and 5.56 AKs
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

So, is there any reason to NOT do this style of can versus, say, a similar can with machined cones and spacers and whatnot?

Durability? Weight?

I'm thinking a 1.75" OD can, about 8" long, with about 4" reflexing back over the barrel.

Thoughts?

Byrdman
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

The baffles are relatively thin and made of a poor material so they will erode out pretty fast.
abinok

Post by abinok »

Threads like this make me wonder what it would be like if we had a $5 transfer on cans like aows, instead of the $200 stamp.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

abinok wrote:Threads like this make me wonder what it would be like if we had a $5 transfer on cans like aows, instead of the $200 stamp.

Sir the government does not work on logic or common sense thus I do not see them ever lowering a price. Once the fed gets a income stream they extremely rarely give it up.

If the tax on suppressors was done correct there would be no tax at all. If it was based on logic it would have been 5 bucks instead of 200 as a suppressor is not in any way shape or form a firearm except under fed rules.

That all thrown aside if the tax was only 5 bucks we all would likely have many more. There would be groups and forums all over with plans and ides being bantered about. There would also be a massive home made arena. As now most people who spend 200 bucks want a proven item that they know will work. If you could try them for 5 bucks a pop I would send in 100 bucks worth of 5 dollar form one stamps every year just to play with ideas. So would countless others and thus more information more minds and more innovation. Some guy and his 15yo kid would likely come up with a design that would outdo anything we could dream of.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

Schulze wrote:The baffles are relatively thin and made of a poor material so they will erode out pretty fast.
So what should they be made of and what thickness? I can get SS plugs, but the thickness might be an issue.

Thoughts?

Byrdman
MG_Willy
Silent Operator

Post by MG_Willy »

Schulze wrote:The baffles are relatively thin and made of a poor material so they will erode out pretty fast.
But how bad and over how long? If I were going to do this... and I may actually at some point... I can weld and form M's and drill... But i would use all stainless and heat treat.. and I also think I would put a washer behind the blast making it twice as thick.. I know weight etc.... but for a hand built can.. no special tools or skills needed, I would also eliminate the tubing spacers and just drill holes in the tubing where the baffles would go and put them in one at a time and weld in place with a through hole weld... Also... LOL without welding anything it could be achieved... tap and thread where each baffle will go (again more weight...but doable) even the blast chamber... read that as long screws (im thinking 6 or 8 at the first and at the front locking the flash suppressor in place...)

But I really like the simplicity of this design and the fact that almost anyone could build it all hand tools... would help with a drill press to make sure your holes are all straight.... but everything else hand tools...
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

what do you call fast. I have around 10K of SS109 out of mine. there is some erosion but not anything that I would be concerned about. I dont have a blast baffle that takes the direct blast.
I used a knights brake that vents most of the gasses sideways into the blast chamber.
I have two hobbies. Shooting and reloading. The more I do of one the more I can do of the other.
abinok

Post by abinok »

rogerme wrote:
abinok wrote:Threads like this make me wonder what it would be like if we had a $5 transfer on cans like aows, instead of the $200 stamp.

Sir the government does not work on logic or common sense thus I do not see them ever lowering a price. Once the fed gets a income stream they extremely rarely give it up.

If the tax on suppressors was done correct there would be no tax at all. If it was based on logic it would have been 5 bucks instead of 200 as a suppressor is not in any way shape or form a firearm except under fed rules.

That all thrown aside if the tax was only 5 bucks we all would likely have many more. There would be groups and forums all over with plans and ides being bantered about. There would also be a massive home made arena. As now most people who spend 200 bucks want a proven item that they know will work. If you could try them for 5 bucks a pop I would send in 100 bucks worth of 5 dollar form one stamps every year just to play with ideas. So would countless others and thus more information more minds and more innovation. Some guy and his 15yo kid would likely come up with a design that would outdo anything we could dream of.
this is exactly what I was thinking... with good quality 556 cans being available in the $400 range today the tax becomes a disproportionate percentage of the cost to the buyer. Dropping the price of any manufactured item by 30% will increase demand, which in turn will increase manufacturing capability, which will lower prices even more.
I think lots of people would be willing to spend $200 on a stainless welded can. Threads like this prove that such a venture in the right political/legal climate could be very profitable. Profits=innovation, then the fun begins.
While I'm dreaming, I would also like Jessica Alba on my staff as a personal ass-sstant...
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

abinok wrote:Dropping the price of any manufactured item by 30% will increase demand, which in turn will increase manufacturing capability, which will lower prices even more.
There goes all of their profit.
LP
abinok

Post by abinok »

I was making reference to the fact that on a $400 can removing the $200 stamp is a 30% drop. This wouldn't affect profitability at all.
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

MG_Willy wrote:
But how bad and over how long? If I were going to do this... and I may actually at some point... I can weld and form M's and drill... But i would use all stainless and heat treat.. and I also think I would put a washer behind the blast making it twice as thick.. I know weight etc.... but for a hand built can.. no special tools or skills needed, I would also eliminate the tubing spacers and just drill holes in the tubing where the baffles would go and put them in one at a time and weld in place with a through hole weld... Also... LOL without welding anything it could be achieved... tap and thread where each baffle will go (again more weight...but doable) even the blast chamber... read that as long screws (im thinking 6 or 8 at the first and at the front locking the flash suppressor in place...)

But I really like the simplicity of this design and the fact that almost anyone could build it all hand tools... would help with a drill press to make sure your holes are all straight.... but everything else hand tools...
You're thinking what I'm thinking...plug weld the baffles in place, instead of pressing them in. If we did that, how much material could we take off the freeze plug's perimeter to save weight? I'm thinking about half of it, if you cut it to where there were 3 'tabs' on the edge, like a hexagon, but come up into the flat of the plug a little, to allow venting between chambers.

Thoughts?
Byrdman
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

Nothing? I thought I'd get some vibrant discussion off that idea. I guess it really isn't different than Surefire's holes to drain quickly, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas about it.

Byrdman
USMC03
Silent Operator

Post by USMC03 »

How did you do your rear endcap?
DucktapeN550Cord

Post by DucktapeN550Cord »

USMC03 wrote:How did you do your rear endcap?
Rear end cap was made from a large washer I found in my garage. Just welded on.

Baffles where heat-treated as per sub-sonics thread. The first baffle does take the blast head on, I'll be keeping an eye on it but so far its holding up. (If I had to do it all over again I would use a brake same as sub-sonic did)

Reminder: I don't have full-auto and I'm no "operator". I'm just an enthusiast of my 2nd amendment rights and a hands-on guy that likes to build stuff.
Ander254

Post by Ander254 »

Ducktape- we still want a video of some subsonics or 22s out of that thing. It does great on full power loads. I'm at 17weeks since pending on my form 1. I'm hoping within the next month it will come in. What size bore did you go with?
DucktapeN550Cord

Ander254 wrote:Ducktape- we still want a video of some subsonics or 22s out of that thing. It does great on full power loads. I'm at 17weeks since pending on my form 1. I'm hoping within the next month it will come in. What size bore did you go with?
Still need to buy some sub rounds. I used a 5/16ths long drill bit to drill through all the pilot holes after it was welded up. Its just what I had laying around the garage.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I like it. Simple enough for an beginner to build and I am sure it works better than cans costing 10 times as much! :mrgreen:
The only thing I would like to know is if you installed a drilled plug maybe 1/4" thick at the end of the flash suppressor would that act as the primary blast baffle and reduce wear/erosion on the first freeze plug?
Sergeant
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sergeant »

Duck,
Where was the video shot?
Looks (and sounds) alot like SE Wyoming.
Steve
DucktapeN550Cord

Video was shot at Pawnee Grasslands in NE Colorado.
sonmtn
Silent Operator

Post by sonmtn »

Gearheads are gearheads, supressors, cars, motorcycles it is all the same
yes there are proven performance upgrades
but some just can't help the urge to do it themselves.
the term Tinkering comes to mind
:lol:
DucktapeN550Cord

Update: Shot this video a few weeks ago. Notice the end of the can turned dark brown in several locations. This happened after emptying 3 - 30 rounds mags through it, one after another. Just seeing how it will hold up. Still going strong. Blast baffle looks good and only the darkening of the paint on the exterior.

MG_Willy
Silent Operator

Post by MG_Willy »

wow that sounds great...
DucktapeN550Cord wrote:Update: Shot this video a few weeks ago. Notice the end of the can turned dark brown in several locations. This happened after emptying 3 - 30 rounds mags through it, one after another. Just seeing how it will hold up. Still going strong. Blast baffle looks good and only the darkening of the paint on the exterior.

hotbrass
Silent Operator

Post by hotbrass »

DucktapeN550Cord wrote:Update: Shot this video a few weeks ago. Notice the end of the can turned dark brown in several locations. This happened after emptying 3 - 30 rounds mags through it, one after another. Just seeing how it will hold up. Still going strong. Blast baffle looks good and only the darkening of the paint on the exterior.

Cant see it. Need password.
DucktapeN550Cord

No password needed. Just click on the photo and it will download.