My Completed 25 dollar freeze-plug .223 can...

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Re: My Completed 25 dollar freeze-plug .223 can...

Post by whiterussian1974 »

GORGEOUS CAN!!!
Thanks alot for posting that 1st pic. It very clearly shows the concept and lets us see the paths that the gas would travel.
This build competes with commercial designs like the M4-2000 and 762-SD.

http://s748.photobucket.com/user/otdyel ... sort=3&o=0

here is an album that shows a Brownell's item that could form the basis of a tube's spine.
http://s748.photobucket.com/user/otdyel ... t=3&page=1

The first 8 pics would make good blast chamber divertors. http://s748.photobucket.com/user/otdyel ... t=6&page=1
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

GaryM wrote:I like it. Simple enough for an beginner to build and I am sure it works better than cans costing 10 times as much! :mrgreen:
The only thing I would like to know is if you installed a drilled plug maybe 1/4" thick at the end of the flash suppressor would that act as the primary blast baffle and reduce wear/erosion on the first freeze plug?
Use a Stellite flatwasher or Talonite cone. It resists wear and heat fatigue.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellite
I had thought of coating the inner face of the blast chamber's outer tube w a ceramic coating like Durakote. If it is heat resistant and stiples the surface, it should improve the performance. For now I fill the blast chamber w Lithium grease. The heat partially liquifies it and pressure pushes it against the outer tube.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

I used a tri delta muzzle brake in the first form1 I built. It minimized the POI shift with/without can, and vents a large percentage of the gasses into a reflexed chamber extending back to the front of the gas block, the baffle section (10 baffles) extends 4 1/2 inches beyond the muzzle brake. When using cheap metals volume is your friend. I didn't want to test the burst pressure of the seam welded tubing by containing the gasses in a small chamber. :D
NRA Life Member
45BArmorer

Post by 45BArmorer »

What kind of paint did you use to hold up to the temperatures?
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

45BArmorer wrote:What kind of paint did you use to hold up to the temperatures?
?? << https://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=108 >> ??
DucktapeN550Cord

Post by DucktapeN550Cord »

45BArmorer wrote:What kind of paint did you use to hold up to the temperatures?
The paint is Krylon Camo Tan. I do plan on painting it with Duracoat at some time.
dred

Post by dred »

Are you shooting subsonic ammo in your videos ? are they hand loads or off the shelf ? I am doing as much research as I can before I build my Freeze Plug Can for my 300 blk. I was watching M1-Dans video and he was manually cycling his AR with subsonic loads, he said from what he has read all sub loads have to be manually cycled. I am sure back pressure in the can have something to do with cycling. Any info would be great. Thanks
DucktapeN550Cord

dred wrote:Are you shooting subsonic ammo in your videos ? are they hand loads or off the shelf ? I am doing as much research as I can before I build my Freeze Plug Can for my 300 blk. I was watching M1-Dans video and he was manually cycling his AR with subsonic loads, he said from what he has read all sub loads have to be manually cycled. I am sure back pressure in the can have something to do with cycling. Any info would be great. Thanks
Those rounds are off-the-shelf Remington 55gr I bought at Walmart. The $40 value pack. Most folks think I'm shooting .22lr though it - that's about what it sounds like. Since that video I've put over a thousand rounds through it. Still holding strong with very minimal or noticeable blast-baffle wear.
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

What method of freeze plug hardening did you use?
NRA Life Member
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

dred wrote:Are you shooting subsonic ammo in your videos ? are they hand loads or off the shelf ? I am doing as much research as I can before I build my Freeze Plug Can for my 300 blk. I was watching M1-Dans video and he was manually cycling his AR with subsonic loads, he said from what he has read all sub loads have to be manually cycled. I am sure back pressure in the can have something to do with cycling. Any info would be great. Thanks

Dred, there are special loads that will cycle your gun, all depending Powder and Bullet weight.

Keep in mind going heavy does require 1-7 twist to stabilize.

I used 90 grains (Sierra) and 100 grains ( tungsten core from projectile as components, Lee factory crimp to get the right bullet pull tension, waterproof my primers and bullets, this and the right powder will do all you are looking for.

You could experiment with the 80 grains as well, in regards to max COL. do not worry, the real long ones can also be loaded backwards with no feeding problems.
Accuracy is good at 100 to 150 meters that I have tested.
Backward loading of long projectiles also makes sure that your powder fill is batter as you do have a smaller cavity to fill.

Keep in mind that reloading takes some responsibility and safety so keep track on pressure signs.

Also the loads that I made only worked with a can on when going down to 10" barrels, 16 and 20 worked without, but who would want to do that, Right...

Gunny
DucktapeN550Cord

Hard_ware wrote:What method of freeze plug hardening did you use?
Heated with a torch until glowing red, dunk it in a metal container filled with ice-salt-water. Three times each baffle.
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

DucktapeN550Cord wrote:
Hard_ware wrote:What method of freeze plug hardening did you use?
Heated with a torch until glowing red, dunk it in a metal container filled with ice-salt-water. Three times each baffle.
I did it once and then heated till blueish and let cool slowly.
Suppressor has hundreds of rounds thru it, and hundreds of hogs are no longer eating the farmers crops.
It's a heavy beast but cheap and effective.
NRA Life Member