Engraving your NFA item...

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

wildeye111

Engraving your NFA item...

Post by wildeye111 »

I just wanted to share my experience about a company that I had sent off my Silencer tube to get engraved..actually laser engraved.

Bill at Gray Lasers is the place for you if you cant find a local place to engrave your NFA item.
http://www.graylaser.com/expertise.html

Charges $55, which includes return shipping. The day he receives your item he will have it shipped either the SAME DAY or for sure the next day unless it falls on the wknd.
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Re: Engraving your NFA item...

Post by SRM »

Looks like a good deal. Do or can you show a pic of your tube? Im considering a set of stamps because of the requirments. I did see they are 07 so no big deal there. I just dont want to let it go in the mail!
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

Or for around $65 you could have Norell Arms coat it with Moly Resin and engrave it for you.
LP
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

What are they doing to get over the marking variance issues with a Form1 silencer?

Would love how they got the sign-off to do that at that cheap a price. marking variances are a PITA to deal with!
Hoop
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hoop »

So, where are the pics man. The pics!
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms."

www.hooperordnance.com
AlohaRover

Post by AlohaRover »

Bendersquint wrote:What are they doing to get over the marking variance issues with a Form1 silencer?

Would love how they got the sign-off to do that at that cheap a price. marking variances are a PITA to deal with!
If they are just engraving a plain steel tube (no threading or anything) would they need a variance?
Colorado Springs
FFL-07/SOT
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

AlohaRover wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:What are they doing to get over the marking variance issues with a Form1 silencer?

If they are just engraving a plain steel tube (no threading or anything) would they need a variance?
If its a registered silencer then yes, in order to engrave someone else's information(name,city,state,mode,serial) you need a marking variance.

If its done before the stamp is approved then its nothing more than markings. But remember you can't even cut the tube to length before your stamp is back. I have seen people just either drop ship or send a 1 foot tube to be engraved and when the form comes back they cut to their length , just have them engrave in the center of the tubing.
wildeye111

Post by wildeye111 »

SRM wrote:Looks like a good deal. Do or can you show a pic of your tube? Im considering a set of stamps because of the requirments. I did see they are 07 so no big deal there. I just dont want to let it go in the mail!

Pics are on the way...
wildeye111

Post by wildeye111 »

Bendersquint wrote:
AlohaRover wrote:

If its a registered silencer then yes, in order to engrave someone else's information(name,city,state,mode,serial) you need a marking variance.

If its done before the stamp is approved then its nothing more than markings. But remember you can't even cut the tube to length before your stamp is back. I have seen people just either drop ship or send a 1 foot tube to be engraved and when the form comes back they cut to their length , just have them engrave in the center of the tubing.

Bendersquint is correct about getting engraved before it is approved. Once I found that my Form 1 went pending(called NFA branch) I sent out my tube to get engraved. Pics are on the way.
wildeye111

Post by wildeye111 »

Hoop wrote:So, where are the pics man. The pics!

wildeye111

Post by wildeye111 »

SRM wrote:Looks like a good deal. Do or can you show a pic of your tube? Im considering a set of stamps because of the requirments. I did see they are 07 so no big deal there. I just dont want to let it go in the mail!

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wildeye111 wrote:

All the following are required to be engrave.
Name
City, State
Model
Serial Number
Caliber

Ummmm, where is your caliber engraved?
wildeye111

Post by wildeye111 »

Bendersquint wrote:
wildeye111 wrote:

All the following are required to be engrave.
Name
City, State
Model
Serial Number
Caliber

Ummmm, where is your caliber engraved?

Good eye, but that is listed on the opposite side with only the Name, Model, and SN#. I wanted one set to not have the "RLT-City" as part of it. Just a personal preference.
Last edited by wildeye111 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

You have 2 sets of engravings on your suppressor?

No offense but that is the weirdest engraving I have ever heard of and why didn't you show that side? Even without the s/n censorsing :roll: it would have been more private than telling the whole world the name of your trust and everything.
RVM45

Post by RVM45 »

Well Hell's Belles!

I thought that you were talking about Decorative Engraving--Victorian Scrolls, German Oak Leaves, Massive Antlered Stags, Creepy Biker Tattoo Style Skulls and Zombies......

Yellow Moons, Pink Hearts, Orange Clovers.....

Anyone with a True engraved Suppressor to show off?

.....RVM45 8) :shock: 8)
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

RVM45 wrote:Well Hell's Belles!

I thought that you were talking about Decorative Engraving--Victorian Scrolls, German Oak Leaves, Massive Antlered Stags, Creepy Biker Tattoo Style Skulls and Zombies......

I`d like to see that myself! 8)
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

RVM45 wrote:Well Hell's Belles!

Sauce Delivered!

"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
wildeye111

Post by wildeye111 »

Bendersquint wrote:You have 2 sets of engravings on your suppressor?

No offense but that is the weirdest engraving I have ever heard of and why didn't you show that side? Even without the s/n censorsing :roll: it would have been more private than telling the whole world the name of your trust and everything.

How is that you expect an answer to your query when I havn't recevied one from the PM I sent you?

Both sides as I explained previously contain the "name of the trust & etc." ..so whats the difference with which side to take a pic of?....with out having the serial number no one has all the info to forge a Form 1....Duh!!!

I wanted to make damn sure that the depths of the engraving where more than deep enough even after applying my coating. One side was only deep enough minus coating and........ whola....second side had to be done, and it wasn't Gray's fault either..it was my faulty hindsight. If you had tangled with the ATF as much as I have, you wouldnt be asking these trivial questions.

Hope this clarifies your "You have 2 sets of engravings on your suppressor?"..... if not oh well...
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

I was unaware that I had to get my silencer engraved with a trust?!?!?!?! I thought this was for SBR/SBS only.
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

nice shot wrote:I was unaware that I had to get my silencer engraved with a trust?!?!?!?! I thought this was for SBR/SBS only.
Every Form1 NFA item has to be engraved with all the information, nothing is immune.

You have to engrave your name(individual, trust, corporation, LLC), your city and state, model name, caliber, and serial number.

If the item already bears a model, caliber and serial number(like an SBS or SBR) there is no requirement to re-engrave that information, just engrave the other parts.
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

Bendersquint wrote:
nice shot wrote:I was unaware that I had to get my silencer engraved with a trust?!?!?!?! I thought this was for SBR/SBS only.
Every Form1 NFA item has to be engraved with all the information, nothing is immune.

You have to engrave your name(individual, trust, corporation, LLC), your city and state, model name, caliber, and serial number.

If the item already bears a model, caliber and serial number(like an SBS or SBR) there is no requirement to re-engrave that information, just engrave the other parts.

Understood, thank you
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

AlohaRover wrote:

The key is sending it to them BEFORE it is a silencer. A plain steel tube is NOT a silencer. You can buy those anywhere, and get anything engraved on it you like. Throw it in the trash when it comes back, or weld it onto your jeep for a rollbar if you want.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Bendersquint wrote:

fyi

model is not required if it does not exist

(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise
conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped
(impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain
additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not
susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For
firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002,
the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information
must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information
includes:
(i) The model, if such designation has been made;

Good Catch on the Missing Caliber!
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

I did not designate modle on my f1 silencer because its only going to be one silencer. Kinda figured the ser. # would take care of that.
Nypto

Post by Nypto »

Does the engraving have to have a serial number or model on a new made can? do you just make one up?
I thought the Trust name and address would suffice?