Is it ok for a third party to do the welding?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Nypto

Is it ok for a third party to do the welding?

Post by Nypto »

I am researching how to build a suppressor, what metals to use and what baffle designs to start with. I need to know if it is legal for a third party to weld the tube ends, or do I have to build the entire suppressor by myself? I have three type II weapons..American 180,M-16 and the Ingram Mac 10. I am aware of all the paperwork needed before I begin. I wanted to exhaust all of the angles before i dive in. I have no problem with milling, it is the proper welding that I don't have the ability for.
Thanks for any and all advice
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Is it ok for a third party to do the welding?

Post by Bendersquint »

Nypto wrote:I am researching how to build a suppressor, what metals to use and what baffle designs to start with. I need to know if it is legal for a third party to weld the tube ends, or do I have to build the entire suppressor by myself? I have three type II weapons..American 180,M-16 and the Ingram Mac 10. I am aware of all the paperwork needed before I begin. I wanted to exhaust all of the angles before i dive in. I have no problem with milling, it is the proper welding that I don't have the ability for.
A third party can weld your tube under specific circumstances.

1 - If you are present during the welding then anyone can weld it, just can not leave your control.

2 - It can be sent to a 07/02 manufacturer and they can do the welding for you and you need not be present.

A Form1 builder is not required to be able to do all facets of the production without the use of outside sources.
Nypto

Post by Nypto »

Thank you very much for the information, it IS very helpful
Thanks again
Hoop
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hoop »

Bendersquint wrote:
Nypto wrote:I am researching how to build a suppressor, what metals to use and what baffle designs to start with. I need to know if it is legal for a third party to weld the tube ends, or do I have to build the entire suppressor by myself? I have three type II weapons..American 180,M-16 and the Ingram Mac 10. I am aware of all the paperwork needed before I begin. I wanted to exhaust all of the angles before i dive in. I have no problem with milling, it is the proper welding that I don't have the ability for.

1 - If you are present during the welding then anyone can weld it, just can not leave your control.

2 - It can be sent to a 07/02 manufacturer and they can do the welding for you and you need not be present.

A Form1 builder is not required to be able to do all facets of the production without the use of outside sources.

Be sure it is properly engraved before mailing it off to the 07. Bender, what did you find out the ruling was on sending in a form 1 tube for engraving? Seems I remember reading something about this recently.
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms."

www.hooperordnance.com
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

I want to know too!
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

Just a brain fart :?

what if the welder is a felon ?? (dosnt take much)

just so that nobody gets into trouble (welder or F1 holder )
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

wolf wrote:Just a brain fart :?

Don`t care who it is as long as they weld better than me! :mrgreen:
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wolf wrote:Just a brain fart :?

Doesn't matter if they are a felon the silencer isn't leaving your possession so it doesn't matter. You are still in control of it.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Hoop wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

Be sure it is properly engraved before mailing it off to the 07. Bender, what did you find out the ruling was on sending in a form 1 tube for engraving? Seems I remember reading something about this recently.
It must be engraved to ATF specs prior to it leaving the Form1 hands for any work to be done on it. ATF doesn't want anything that is not engraved in the mail system because it has to be traceable.

There are exceptions but not going to get into it because everything I have posted lately in this sub-forum turns into a pissing contest. Sorry to those not involved I may post it in the future.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

id say Bender knows (being an 0702) and some should listen :mrgreen:
NP
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895