Broaching an idea...

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Broaching an idea...

Post by MCKNBRD »

:lol:

OK, so I'm trying to think outside the box, but since I can't 'experiment' with my ideas, I gotta bounce them off ya'll and see if you guys have seen anything like this.

We always drill or bore holes for the bullet to pass through, and we sometimes use offsets milled into a cone or a 'Dater' hole to disrupt gas flow and make it turn...right?

Why couldn't you broach a torx-style hole for bullet passage? I'd think 6 or 8 small 'slots' around the bore would help diffuse the flow, and broaching is supposed to be a very accurate and clean method to make shapes internally or externally.

Thoughts?

Byrdman
Eyes Of Death

Re: Broaching an idea...

Post by Eyes Of Death »

Third to last post. Similar concept.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77913&start=25
They say; Idle hands do the devil’s work. So what’s my excuse?
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I don't think your efforts would be rewarded in results,but it would make a clean muzzle cap.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

End cap was one of the areas I was looking at it for, then I thought...hey, why not use it in the bore to help turbulate gasses?

Hmm...
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

MCKNBRD wrote:I'd think 6 or 8 small 'slots' around the bore would help diffuse the flow
I don't see the real benefit. What you want is to disrupt axial flow, adding slots in a symmetrical pattern around the bore will not do this effectively.
and broaching is supposed to be a very accurate and clean method to make shapes internally or externally.
True, but they are also fairly expensive. besides the slots doesn't have to be that accurate, only the bore itself has to be. You could probably cut them with a hack saw without any ill effects.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

i think liberty cans does this already.
NP
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

MCKNBRD wrote:End cap was one of the areas I was looking at it for, then I thought...hey, why not use it in the bore to help turbulate gasses?

Hmm...
Broaching will not do anything to "turbulate" the gases. Does make for a pretty endcap but there are so many limitations to it that it doesn't make sense.

Besides the fact that the BORE is the last place you want turbulent gases.

Liberty does a square bore which helps with the accuracy.

We wont even get into the costs associated with getting setup for rotary broaching especially with a torx setup large enough to pass a bullet through the opening, goes well into the realm of it being cheaper to just buy a hi end can instead of trying to build one.
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Post by ChimeraPrecision »

I like the torx idea. From a purely fliud mechanixs perspective, a round aperture tends to yield laminar flow,.whereas irregular apertures tens to yield turbulent flow.

Broaching is old news, a wire edm would be perfectly suited to this operation. I love how accurate those are
Keep calm, and suppress on
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

ChimeraPrecision wrote:I like the torx idea. From a purely fliud mechanixs perspective, a round aperture tends to yield laminar flow,.whereas irregular apertures tens to yield turbulent flow.
That may be true, I'm simply questioning the results compared to the invested effort. For a commercial setup broaching may not be a big investment, but for a single build you need to find someone to lend you the tools for free. And I still feel that the results will be poor compared to other and simpler approaches.
Broaching is old news, a wire edm would be perfectly suited to this operation. I love how accurate those are
What applies to broaching applies tenfold to EDM. It's expensive and slow compared to virtually any alternative method of manufacture, especially when one considers the needed accuracy. I've managed to convince a friend not to sell his wire EDM, but my intention for that piece of machinery is far more ambitious than some simple baffles.
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

“Torx holes” are a good idea as far as they are slotted (width) and stepped (depth). Look for shapes that can be made on a Mill not EDM at all.

Best,

Paul
The future is not waiting for us, it is waiting within us ...
winsor
Silent But Deadly

Post by winsor »

Capt. Link. wrote:I don't think your efforts would be rewarded in results,but it would make a clean muzzle cap.
+1

░░ in search ☼f the silence ░░ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ n☼ hunting , n☼ killing , just plinking ☼ ☼☼