Finished my 9mm suppressor...

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Pagan
Silent Operator

Finished my 9mm suppressor...

Post by Pagan »

Ok so here it is my first Form 1 build, more pics later, here are some details, all aluminum,3.6 inches long, 1.25 inches diameter, I have not weighed it yet, but it has no recoil booster so it is light to allow proper functioning.

115 grain FMJ are loud, but takes the edge off the pop, 147 grain subs are pleasant to shoot. Head shot accuracy out to 10 yards, but the the pistol it is on is Ruger P93 DAO, so the trigger is not a target weight either. The barrel is a Ruger P85 factory length, I had threaded by JP machine and grips.

When I get some more subsonic ammo I will post a video...

"Be the change you want to see in the world".
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Re: Finished my 9mm suppressor...

Post by delta9mda »

internals man internals. good job
NP
Pagan
Silent Operator

Post by Pagan »

I know I know, but this is a tube fastened to the blast chamber and single front baffle by set screws that I used blue lock tight on, so next time i take it apart for cleaning i will post pics. Also since the internals simply slide into the can, there is an issue of "blow by" between the surfaces, so i used Hi Temp RTV sealant on the ends to get rid of that issue, works good. But it takes like 24 plus hours to dry properly. Thus taking the can a part requires reapplying the sealant and then having to wait to shoot it again...

My next can will be much more cleaning friendly, but since i wanted this for self defense in enclosed spaces, to protect my hearing, i had not planned on shooting/cleaning this one often.
Pagan
Silent Operator

Post by Pagan »

I just went outside and did a "night shoot" to guage flash supression. WOW! I picked up some WWB 147 JHP at walmart, so I could post a video, but couldn't wait to test the flash supression. VERY effective. Comparable to someone striking a lighter, and it not lighting! This was a dry test as well. For my first build I'm totally pleased...
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

do a nother one and make that little puppy two inches longer. :wink:
zulusierra
Silent Operator

Post by zulusierra »

I have a P93DC I would like to suppress.

Just to clarify, the P85 barrel is the same, but longer? Do you know if the P89 is the same as well?
Pagan
Silent Operator

Post by Pagan »

zulusierra wrote:I have a P93DC I would like to suppress.

Just to clarify, the P85 barrel is the same, but longer? Do you know if the P89 is the same as well?

P85 89 and 93 use the same swinging link style barrel, 85 and 89 are just longer,BUT when I put the 85 barrel in my 93 it would not go into battery fully, so I used my micrometer to take a few measurments, and at the bottom of the breech block where the recoil spring sits against, there was an extra 1/64" of metal, 2 minutes with a file and all was good, I fired plenty of rounds through the barrel before I had it threaded and sent in my form 1, also the 85 89 barrels are stainless,atleast mine is. Not to mention the 93 loves the extra barrel length, heavy bullets hit with authority and shoot better IMO.
P95 is when they went to the cammed locked up I believe.
zulusierra
Silent Operator

Post by zulusierra »

Pagan wrote:
zulusierra wrote:I have a P93DC I would like to suppress.

P85 89 and 93 use the same swinging link style barrel, 85 and 89 are just longer,BUT when I put the 85 barrel in my 93 it would not go into battery fully, so I used my micrometer to take a few measurments, and at the bottom of the breech block where the recoil spring sits against, there was an extra 1/64" of metal, 2 minutes with a file and all was good, I fired plenty of rounds through the barrel before I had it threaded and sent in my form 1, also the 85 89 barrels are stainless,atleast mine is. Not to mention the 93 loves the extra barrel length, heavy bullets hit with authority and shoot better IMO.
P95 is when they went to the cammed locked up I believe.
Thanks!

The P-series is an underrated platform IMHO.

Yours is the first I've seen suppressed.

I like it and plan to copy what you've done. :D
carlwilkey

Post by carlwilkey »

That looks cool.....short and compact. How does it sound with the subsonics?
Great Job!!!

Carl
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

Does that can use wipes? Wicked short.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
Pagan
Silent Operator

Post by Pagan »

I had planned on using wipes, but honestly all it needs is a little water for REAL quiet shooting. I actually started an expirement yesterday using natural wool material as a way of holding the water in one place until shot. My idea is to use a piece of wool or maybe header wrap, just glued to the bottom of the can (inside ofcourse), then when water is added it will be absorbed and held in the can without running out, I figure wool is very hard to make combust and header wrap although sythetic, is made to withstand 2000F in short burst or 1200F continuous. A single piece of material about 1inch square should do the trick when I decide on the proper adhedsive. I will need to test the adhedsive after they dry, also see how long the water will stay on the material at room temperature before evaporating...the thinking being, that at some point I could squirt in some water and have a good idea of how much time I would have before I need to replace the water before shooting.

Such as before bedtime, wet the can, and have a wet can that is still wet when I get up the next morning, or earlier should the need arise for a defensive situation in my home or property. But not have the water just run out of the endcap or evaporate due to heating or AC...any sugestions?
Wyatt9k
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wyatt9k »

Thats really neat, Good job.
Table Rock Arms
Silent Operator

Post by Table Rock Arms »

If you get a weight on it let us know.
Table Rock Arms
07 FFL 02 SOT
541-702-6216
Pagan
Silent Operator

Post by Pagan »

I'm gonna do a shoot on video this weekend, weather permitting, 5 no can, 5 dry can, 5 wet can, I will see if somebody has a small digital scale or even a triple beam I can use for weighing it, then I wll take it apart for pics as requested.
Tin_Can_Terminator
Silent But Deadly

Re: Finished my 9mm suppressor..

Post by Tin_Can_Terminator »

Tape across the end to stop water from evaporating over time.

You might also try anti seize paste. Works great on my can and does the same as water.

TCT
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Pics of internals please!
RavenArmament
Silent But Deadly

Post by RavenArmament »

That looks neat. Didn't GemTech have a mini 9mm can similar in size that used wipes?
Manufacturer of the best subsonic 9mm ammunition.