Possible Baffle?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Sweetfish89

Possible Baffle?

Post by Sweetfish89 »

I am thinking of another design for a can. I found these at work and was wonder what yall thought of it. Probably for use with a 223.
I would reverse the nipple of course.
Walls are a little thin.
They have about 2" diameter about 3/4" deep
Will try to get the specs on them tomorrow at work. Just looking for ideas and others input.

Thanks
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Possible Baffle?

Post by Bendersquint »

Sweetfish89 wrote:I am thinking of another design for a can. I found these at work and was wonder what yall thought of it. Probably for use with a 223.
I would reverse the nipple of course.
Walls are a little thin.
They have about 2" diameter about 3/4" deep
Will try to get the specs on them tomorrow at work. Just looking for ideas and others input.

Thanks
Even without measurements its easy to see that its WAY too thin to do anything with. That little nipple won't do much either.

Better off looking into racing valve retainers, many have the right bore size or close form the get go, just gotta make them concentric.

Can be had made from titanium, ss, inconel and other materials as well.
Sweetfish89

Post by Sweetfish89 »

That is what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure. I don't have a lathe or I would attempt to create a master piece like others do on this forum. I was trying to find something that was premade other than valve retainer or freeze plugs. Guess I will have to keep on searching.

Thank you for the quick reply Bendersquint you just saved me some time looking for the information at work tomorrow.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Sweetfish89 wrote:That is what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure. I don't have a lathe or I would attempt to create a master piece like others do on this forum. I was trying to find something that was premade other than valve retainer or freeze plugs. Guess I will have to keep on searching.

Thank you for the quick reply Bendersquint you just saved me some time looking for the information at work tomorrow.
Your welcome, good luck on your search.
unclecarmine99
Silent Operator

Post by unclecarmine99 »

WHY BUY A LATHE AT THOSE PRICES ,SOLID STAINLESS !
kc0myg
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kc0myg »

unclecarmine99 wrote:Image

I'll bet these would work pretty well. Trim back about half of the small part, put them between Stainless spacers in a strong enough tube, after a heavier blast baffle(fender washer, freeze plug & etc.). Then figure out how to mount to weapon. Strong, safe, and concentric end caps would probably be the biggest hurdle w/o lathe.

I'd find someone you know, make friends with, of just biribe, someone with a lathe you could learn on.
So much easier with precision powertools.
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Post by ChimeraPrecision »

kc0myg wrote:

I'll bet these would work pretty well. Trim back about half of the small part, put them between Stainless spacers in a strong enough tube, after a heavier blast baffle(fender washer, freeze plug & etc.). Then figure out how to mount to weapon. Strong, safe, and concentric end caps would probably be the biggest hurdle w/o lathe.

I'd find someone you know, make friends with, of just biribe, someone with a lathe you could learn on.
So much easier with precision powertools.
make slip fit end caps that slide into the tube (maybe .001" clearance) with proper weld preparation geometry and weld that up.
Keep calm, and suppress on
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Very astute, UncleCarmine99.

And on the off chance one were to be asked what are that stack of
metal for a SAGE answer could be:

"These funny funnels are for fennel making of Italian sausages and risotos,
and not for any other function." :)

[ Vaguely remembered from Latin in Ovid: "semen feniculi pellit spiracula culi".
Applicable to most liberals. :) :) ]
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

Even without measurements its easy to see that its WAY too thin to do anything with. That little nipple won't do much either.

Better off looking into racing valve retainers, many have the right bore size or close form the get go, just gotta make them concentric.

You mean like these? http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... 6685245302

Thats a pretty great deal for Ti and its gonna be good stuff if its from COMP cams.
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
the1mavin
Silent But Deadly

Post by the1mavin »

nice shot wrote:

Thats a pretty great deal for Ti and its gonna be good stuff if its from COMP cams.
Search ebay and you'll find many similar options in different sizes. Take-offs from race cars are common - can't be used in the car again, but in perfectly fine shape to make baffles out of. I've picked them up for $8-10 a set with some patience.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

nice shot wrote:

Thats pretty expensive for 1 valve retainer!
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

Bendersquint wrote:
nice shot wrote:

Thats pretty expensive for 1 valve retainer!

I was posting that more for the picture than the price. . .
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

the1mavin wrote:
nice shot wrote:

Search ebay and you'll find many similar options in different sizes. Take-offs from race cars are common - can't be used in the car again, but in perfectly fine shape to make baffles out of. I've picked them up for $8-10 a set with some patience.

Thats true.

I think for the lack of a machine shop, one could make some very useful parts out of "take offs" from different things.

Hell I just made a homemade forge out of a big rig brake drum, tractor disk, and some rail road spikes. . . . Works better than I ever planned.
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)