My first .223 build

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

firearmcad

My first .223 build

Post by firearmcad »

I will soon run CFD on it but the analysis usually takes a few days to run -_-
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Re: My first .223 build

Post by delta9mda »

have you shot it yet?

general rule is the more can in front of the muzzle the better but you have a lot of volume "back there".
NP
firearmcad

Post by firearmcad »

delta9mda wrote:have you shot it yet?

general rule is the more can in front of the muzzle the better but you have a lot of volume "back there".

Yeah you can tell by all the debris on the baffles in the 2nd to last picture. I wanted to make something that would bring the center of inertia closer in. This model is 10" long but only 3" extension off the end of the barrel.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

yeah i see what you were getting at in keeping it from being front heavy.

so how good does it work?
NP
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

Very good looking work and a unique concept of diverting the gasses backwards. I think that it would be better served if there were fewer baffles on the back because with this concept the goal would be to get gas flowing backwards as much as possible.

How does it sound though?
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
firearmcad

Post by firearmcad »

bakerjw wrote:Very good looking work and a unique concept of diverting the gasses backwards. I think that it would be better served if there were fewer baffles on the back because with this concept the goal would be to get gas flowing backwards as much as possible.

How does it sound though?

It sounds great! I have yet to get some quality figures on it though I can't seem to find any decently priced microphones that will measure decibel readings
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

bakerjw wrote:......... I think that it would be better served if there were fewer baffles on the back because with this concept the goal would be to get gas flowing backwards as much as possible.
I agree.......and why is the forward one which is closest to the hot gases the thinnest
and the others were made so thick. :roll:
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

firearmcad wrote:
It sounds great! I have yet to get some quality figures on it though I can't seem to find any decently priced microphones that will measure decibel readings
Ha... Decently priced. You are looking at a few thousand dollars to get the set up that can actually read impulse noise. They aren't exactly a popular high production item.
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0