OK or not OK

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Nypto

OK or not OK

Post by Nypto »

I see "golf-ball launchers" for sale. AR threaded and steel construction. Can these make good "cans"?
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Re: OK or not OK

Post by Wicked »

NO!

They are constructed of unknown material and the threading concentricity is questionable at best. For the same price, you can buy exactly the right type of aluminum or steel required to build a safe and effective suppressor. Yes, that means you will have to machine and/or weld it yourself. If you don't have the equipment or skills, then ask yourself, "Should I just buy a can instead of rigging one up?"

Attempting to use a 'golf ball launcher' as a suppressor because "It's already machined and you can just stuff baffles in it and put an end cap on it" is most likely to result in failure, potential injury and public ridicule. Don't waste a good tax stamp.

Hate to come across as a prick. Building your own suppressor isn't rocket science, but it ain't amateur hour either. Golf ball launchers are amateur hour.

READ HERE for safe, proven designs and ideas: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
Nypto

Post by Nypto »

Thanks, it looked too good to be an ok project..kinda skipping a few processes.Doesn't bother me a bit . If I don't know the right answer I always ask.. keeps me from screwing up a lot.
Thanks.
markm
Silent But Deadly

Post by markm »

I thought about trying this too. But those things are so heavy, you'd need to remove material from the base to make its weight manageable... and the whole thing was just not worth it.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Sorry, I maybe came off too hard. We've see that question before though, mostly from people with few posts. Glad to see you took it OK and are seeking info. Lots to learn. Some of it is really as easy as it looks and other stuff - not so much. Spend time here reading and going through old posts. Good info and design/construction stuff if you want it. There are many smart and skilled dudes here that can offer lots of help and ideas. There are also many 'new' to suppressor dudes looking for the cheap, easy way out. There isn't one. Most should really just buy a commercially made can.

Don't be afraid to build your own. Just do your homework first, then you can build a safe and effective can you will be proud to say you made yourself. :D
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
BeerWolf
Silent Operator

Post by BeerWolf »

Nypto wrote:If I don't know the right answer I always ask.. keeps me from screwing up a lot.
Thanks.
Good for you sir!

In my book, this puts you ahead of 85% of the folks out there.

If you genuinely don't know the answer, then no question is stupid.
However, many stupid people won't ask a question for fear of looking stupid. :lol:
Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone?
Nypto

Post by Nypto »

The golf ball launcher DID look good to me but going the easy way doesn't always work out for me. So, I decided to buy a suppressor. the TAC16 from Tactical. I have three other type II weapons which I bought back in 1980 and forgot the about the lengthy process. I am a bit dismayed that Tactical took my money almost a month ago and said they had to get approval from the ATF before shipping it to my dealer, then another 4-5 months...sooo
I decided to go the From 1 and build my own. I bought a 7-12 mini lathe but will wait until I get the stamp back to proceed. I am taking this time to find out what metals to use and what tubes to use. Not sure if I want to go the alum way so steel is my choice..so far.
Lots and lots of research and more research.