New Zealand Silencer performance & quality?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Silent Operator

New Zealand Silencer performance & quality?

Post by 600 »

I spoke to a sells man from Guncity in New Zealand and he told me that their silencers are the best in the world.

But he never mentioned "best" in price or in performance. Anyone with experience from these guys?

How are they compared to Gemtech, Silencerco, AAC, Liberty etc.? Are they even close to that "best in the world" thing??
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Re: New Zealand Silencer performance & quality?

Post by jreinke »

Highly doubtful, but even if they were, it's a non-issue as they can't be imported to the US for sale to the public.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

I hear they're about $75 over-the-counter in New Zealand. If that’s true, I wouldn't expect much in the area of quality and durability for $75 anyway.
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

I live in NZ and make suppressors on a hobby baisis (see some of my previous posts)

Their stuff is OK for the price but with comparison tests that I have done with mine I have been able to reduce heard sound by a great deal - say 30% or more.

Most of their designs are relatively simple ie reflex type with pressed baffles or simple baffles and spacers. I have never seen them use Omegas, Ks or anything more complex.

As I have learnt most of what I know about suppressors on here ie the US market I would expect the US stuff to be even better.

Cheers
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

600 wrote:I spoke to a sells man from Guncity in New Zealand and he told me that their silencers are the best in the world.

But he never mentioned "best" in price or in performance. Anyone with experience from these guys?

How are they compared to Gemtech, Silencerco, AAC, Liberty etc.? Are they even close to that "best in the world" thing??
Go look at just about every US silencer manufacturers webpage, almost everyone says "Home of the worlds quietest silencers"(or something along those lines).

Its called marketing.
Sweetfish89

Post by Sweetfish89 »

^x2
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

Bendersquint wrote:
Go look at just about every US silencer manufacturers webpage, almost everyone says "Home of the worlds quietest silencers"(or something along those lines).

Its called marketing.

Yea but at red jacket it is true.. Right????
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rogerme wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

Its called marketing.

Of course!
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

IM not a AAC whore but their stuff is a great mix of what makes a silencer great. Their features, i mean they may not be the most quiet, lighest, or strongest, but no silencer can be all these and i think AAC stuff is the best combo of features
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

rogerme wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

Its called marketing.

You guys crack me up :D we have just started to get Sons of guns over here in NZ, you would think Red Jacket work for NASA, when I follow tighter toleranaces in my shed :D

The show is OK for a laugh and you do get to see some cool toys BUT you sure as hell don't take it seriously. I have no doubt that they do a reasonable job, Will would not still be operating if he was crap, but what you see on TV is just for TV.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Always glad to see you post here, Enfield577. Nice to hear what’s going on down under. BTW: Are you Kiwis going to welcome us gun-loving refugees, when we begin to flee America, seeking freedom from Obama (assuming he gets re-elected, permanently ruins America and refuses to ever leave the office of "Ruler")?
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

700PSS wrote:Always glad to see you post here, Enfield577. Nice to hear what’s going on down under. BTW: Are you Kiwis going to welcome us gun-loving refugees, when we begin to flee America, seeking freedom from Obama (assuming he gets re-elected, permanently ruins America and refuses to ever leave the office of "Ruler")?
You would be most welcome my friend, just so long as you bring your toys with you :D
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Enfield577 wrote:
700PSS wrote:Always glad to see you post here, Enfield577. Nice to hear what’s going on down under. BTW: Are you Kiwis going to welcome us gun-loving refugees, when we begin to flee America, seeking freedom from Obama (assuming he gets re-elected, permanently ruins America and refuses to ever leave the office of "Ruler")?
You would be most welcome my friend, just so long as you bring your toys with you :D
Wish we were able to, sadly if that day comes we won't be bringing many guns and definitely no silencers :(
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

Bendersquint wrote:
Enfield577 wrote:
Wish we were able to, sadly if that day comes we won't be bringing many guns and definitely no silencers :(
They can never take away our lathes!
LP
BeerWolf
Silent Operator

Post by BeerWolf »

ghostdog662 wrote:They can never take away our lathes!
+1
Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

ghostdog662 wrote: They can never take away our lathes!
No they can't but holy cow imagine shipping it to NZ? Super expensive.
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

they can take the power to run it though!

suppose you could hook up a foot peddle or some kinda crank sustem.
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

Generators !
LP
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

they will take the fuel to run the war machines.
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

OK, before we get into the mess, and you start to Bull s--t on me once more, please READ:

There is no “COMMERCIAL” Manufacturer in the World that can outperform USA “COMMERCIAL” Cans.

Being said that, let me get deeper:

1) It doesn’t mean “COMMERCIAL” USA Suppressors are the best in the World: It only means they have a huge Market and a very long history on such matter.
2) I truly believe (and have facts on that) that advanced Form 1 builders and/or Custom Suppressors builders can do LOT better than COMMERCIAL Cans (not cheaper, of course): They don’t have market pressure (pricing, mainly) so they focus on quality vs. market share and/or profit.
3) Not all the Countries are the same in terms of “Why a Suppressor”: Some are “Hearing Safe (¿?¿?)” matters, some others are Hunting in populated areas, some are …, etc …
4) I have only seen “QUALITY” on small Manufacturers. All others just focus on materials and cost savings.

Suppressors have become a Commodity in USA and like any other Commodity; the fight out there is price first, then marketing and lately quality.

My experience is based on more than 200 Suppressors built by my own with my poor Machining skills and tools (9x20) and more than 10.000 designs sold over the World in less than 3 years now (27 Countries).

I’m quite sure the best Suppressors in NZ are those built by Enfield577.

Best,

Paul
The future is not waiting for us, it is waiting within us ...