New (to me) lathe & mill

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

CMV
Silent But Deadly

New (to me) lathe & mill

Post by CMV »

Not sure what they are exactly. Came from Wholesale Tool which i had never heard of before but I guess it's similar to Harbor Freight.

Both machines are in great shape & seem to be fine after the move from his shop to my garage - which was quite an adventure. Took most of yesterday to get them out of his shop & on my trailer & then took a good while today for me to get them set up & power ran to the lathe in my garage. they are 7 y/o & look like they had little use. As clean as they are in the pic is as clean as they (& everything else) were in the guy's shop.

The knee mill is 110v which is really nice. 1.5 HP & looks like a juvenile Bridgeport. No power feeds in any axis or any kind of DROs, but does have a one-shot oil system. Change belt positions to change spindle speed. R8 tooling. Came with an upgraded milling vice that's huge, 20 endmills, a set of 6 new dovetail cutters (don't know what I'd use them for), and 2 fly cutters that take inserts. The only marking on it is ZX5015. Looks similar to the Grizzly G3102. The way cover is ripped, but otherwise I haven't found anything wrong with it yet.

The lathe is a 13x40 gearhead. Change the speeds by the selector switches is kind of trial & error to get them engaged. They're so close it's kind of hard to tell if you moved 1 or 2 positions sometimes. But a little fiddling gets them there. Has what looks like a 1 1/2 spindle bore. I didn't measure - could be a bit smaller, but decent sized. Slowest speed is 60rpm so that should be ok for threading. 4 jaw chuck is brand new looking as are the steady & follow rests. Came with a ton of tooling. Knurling tools, a dozen or so insert type cutters, bunch of new inserts, bunch of HSS ground tools, 2 dead & 2 live centers, faceplate, dogs, couple drill chucks, boring bars, etc, etc.

Can't figure out how to engage the power cross feed. The Engrish manual is hard to follow. It might not work or I might not be doing what I need to do to make it engage. E-stop is broken & I think that's also how you turn it off. I put a breaker right there to serve as an E-stop & to kill the power when not in use. I have it on the same circuit as my hot water heater so we'll see how that works out if they both want to be in cycle at the same time. I had to add on to my main fuse panel to run the 240v for the water heater (had gas before), so I'm all out of space & don't feel like messing with that again. If i were just a little smarter the panel I added last time would have been bigger. I think it's a 30 amp breaker at the main panel so that might be good enough for both - no idea what either uses. Lathe is a 2hp motor which is probably about 10 amps.

--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: New (to me) lathe & mill

Post by Capt. Link. »

Engrish is a tough language :D
The cross feed should be activated by the black handle on the apron.The Direction control should be on the middle left on the gear box.
Last edited by Capt. Link. on Mon May 28, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

unless I missed something....you traded a 12 pack and Netflix subscription for these? ....... Right?
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

unless I missed something....you traded a 12 pack and Netflix subscription for these? ....... Right?

No I traded some green paper for them. For $2k I think I got a good deal. I'm not a machinist & I don't plan to make a living with these tools. Should be fine for the little projects I do.

Not counting what probably came with the machines like chucks & rests & stuff, there were 2 heavy boxes full of brand new tooling. Easily $900+ worth of tooling & work holding. There was so much that about 5 min after we left he called & we had to turn around & go back - I forgot some of it! No V-blocks, no parallels, & no magnetic chuck but otherwise I don't think I need to buy anything for a while. there's always something, but right now I think I'm all set.

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Well done, looks like you have heaps of fun ahead. They are similar size to my machines and I get up to allsorts so now you have no excuses

Come on we want to see swarf flying :lol:
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

Line up the tolling that went with the machines

then we can ad names and uses for them + maybe does and dont`s

How much travel has the table on the mill +knee and quill ,,it looks so cute (but it can still ripp your fingers off :shock: )
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

For 2k you did well.First off spray down the ways with CLP on the mill and lathe.
+1 Wolf spread out all that you bought and take photo's then we can tell you whats needed.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

I didn't drag out the stuff that probably came with the machines like 4-jaw chuck, ID jaws, faceplate, dogs, steady rests, chip brushes, etc. There was a very large bottle brush with the mill - not sure of its purpose - cleaning inside the spindle maybe?

Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

That's a great set up you got a deal congratulations.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

Sweet Deal......Real Sweet Deal......You Scored
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

Figured out how to engage the cross feed. Had to change a lever at the lower right from driving the threaded rod that moves the carriage to the middle smooth bar. The lever at left middle changes direction. It moves incredibly slow. I'm thinking that whatever TPI I have selected with the two levers & all the dots at the bottom should change both that feed rate and the main one.

How important is bolting to the floor? It's 1300+ lbs. the mill was pretty easy to get all 4 anchors in place. The lathe can take 8 anchors. No matter what, i couldn't get more than 1 or 2 per end to line up even though I thought I was very careful with lining up, marking, & drilling straight down into the concrete. I think the problem is that there's so much aggregate in my concrete floor that the hole started off straight but after a few pieces of aggregate, the holes were angled. I couldn't get either base on 4 anchor bolts. Very frustrating. And then lining up the bases, chip pan, & lathe mounting holes all perfectly was really, really hard. End result is the left (heavy) side is bolted down with 2 anchors & the right side only has one. I could always lift the whole shebang, move it a little & try again, but if all (or most) of the 8 anchor bolts aren't necessary that's an awful lot of work.

wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

Have the lathe checked to see if its level ,the sooner the better

Check the vice they can be hit or mis (its Chinese)

if a mis its are going ton be a pain in the a,,,

i will let some who has English as a first langue explain that

but you for sure did a very good deal ,,,did you hit him on the head first :lol:

find out what insert you tool uses , then hunt on ebay for the cheap deals , BEFORE you need them

if you dont have one ,you will need a bench grinder to sharpen your drills and hss toolbits

the milling thingy on the left in this picture , can be used with only one hss toolbit . you can grind it to what ever you want shape ,a special angle , or radius tool etc ,,

it looks like you can take the head of that thingy , if true .that means you already have a shell mill holder

again look for a good shell mill on ebay

Now of to the scrap yard and find some steel and make a quick tool post holder + holders ,,no tax stamp required to build those :wink:
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

No spot drill ?? grind your own

can be used to countersink for screws too
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

Do yourself a favor and get a 1/2" keyless drill chuck, best $50 you can spend. Great deal and you should be able to turn out some great projects with those machines.

Those titanium drill bits from harbor freight aren't half bad.
LP
epicdoom
Silent But Deadly

Post by epicdoom »

Wow great deal should get much use outa that the expandable arbors set looks like the same set I have there fantastic for tubing. if you wanna replace the missing ones I can give you the name of the place I bought mine from they may have some seperate. Is this your first Machine shop?

Joe
It's truely amazing what the mind can conceive and prompt the hands to create <---Mine..
Semper Fi
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

Go look for a good wedge style quick change tool post. They are a godsend. Probably need a BXA for that size of lathe.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Your lathe will benefit from bolting it to the floor but it is not necessary.You must borrow a precision level and shim the lathe to level.The mill needs to be level as well.Looking at your machine it is very similar to my Grizzly model.I suggest you go on Grizzly's sight and down load a manual for model G4003.It will explain the gearbox to you and point out the places for lubrication that you perform daily after you clean it.I am happy for you it is much better than some have bought.A manual for your mill should be available from Grizzly as well.