should i thread a suppressor or weld it to the barrel?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

22shoot

should i thread a suppressor or weld it to the barrel?

Post by 22shoot »

I don’t have the ability to thread a suppressor to a barrel. i only have the option of welding to the barrel and my main question is will that affect the quality of the silencer in a noise aspect? (First build)
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Re: should i thread a suppressor or weld it to the barrel?

Post by Enfield577 »

22shoot wrote:I don’t have the ability to thread a suppressor to a barrel. i only have the option of welding to the barrel and my main question is will that affect the quality of the silencer in a noise aspect? (First build)
The other guys on here can confirm but i would strongly advise against welding to the barrel.

I doubt it would effect its function but can you be sure you can keep it all in line (concentric) if you can't and its welded you are stuffed if you have a problem

Also you guys in the US have to go through quite a process and cost to get a suppressor so would it not be wise to get the barrel threaded, sure you must be able to send it away, the guys on here will be able to advise you of the best place near you.

I have always found in the long run you never regret quality but you do regret cutting corners and living with a poor job

Cheers
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
cwmechanic

Post by cwmechanic »

If you don't have the ability to thread the suppressor, then i'd recommend buying one.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

22shoot wrote:I don’t have the ability to thread a suppressor to a barrel. i only have the option of welding to the barrel and my main question is will that affect the quality of the silencer in a noise aspect? (First build)
Please specify the barrel and weapon. If it is a Luger/P-38 style you can make/buy
a slip on adapter that locks behind the sight. Such have been shown here on
previous posts.

Also there are dies for .45 barrel that Brownells sell that do not require your having a lathe.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

There should be no difference in the performance of a silencer that is properly aligned and welded to a gun barrel.

My advice, #1 get the barrel threaded by a competent gunsmith and #2 buy a suppressor to fit the thread pattern. If the barrel can't be threaded then get a different firearm in the desired caliber.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
alemonkey
Silent Operator

Post by alemonkey »

Adco will thread a barrel for $65 and they guarantee it will be concentric. If you don't have the tools to do it right you're better off buying a suppressor and having a pro thread your barrel.
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

First of all, is the host threaded? If the host is not threaded then find a 'smith who can do that work for you. The barrel is not a suppressor part, so no big deal. It should be threaded between centers to aid in maintaining concentricity. The endcap is a bit more of an issue, but can be done by an individual who is capable of doing the work PROVIDED you have your paperwork with you and you remain with the part as it is being completed. To answer the question....no welding the can to the barrel will not make it louder, but it may cause other issues down the road. I would suggest if you can't thread it yourself then pay someone who can.....you will happier in the end. No one ever said that building one would be cheaper than buying it. What are you putting it on?
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

This is the silencersmithing section.
I'm sure there are a few here that would like to reach into their computers and bitch slap you. :lol:
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Also overlooking the obvious. If threading isn't an option, welding isn't the only other option to attach two pieces of metal. Maybe the question should be, "since I can't thread, what are my options?"

So, tell us now....what sort of gun are you wanting to put this as yet to be made form 1 can on? What is the percieved issue with threading? Tell us more and maybe someone else here can show you how they overcame a similar hurtle.
epicdoom
Silent But Deadly

Post by epicdoom »

would do whatever it took to thread rather then weld if you do any amount of welding you know the heat generated tends to pull things out of alignment.
It's truely amazing what the mind can conceive and prompt the hands to create <---Mine..
Semper Fi
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

epicdoom wrote:would do whatever it took to thread rather then weld if you do any amount of welding you know the heat generated tends to pull things out of alignment.
I second that notion. Welding will certainly "pull" items out of alignment. Happens every time you strike an arc. The resulting length of pull is partly dictated by how well the item was or was not secured.
Blackhorse Scout
mg81
Silent But Deadly

Post by mg81 »

I think people are working there way to what I am thinking. Why not braze or even soft solder(just get enough surface area) the suppressor on? Much less chance of heat distortion and you can undo it easily if alignment is wrong or you need to take it off later.

But I guess my main questions is if you don't have the ability to do a threading job how are you hoping to align the suppressor to barrel and keep it in place during the attachment operation? Looking down the barrel only gets you so far in the alignment department.
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

How are you going to make the can ??

what tools do you have aces to ??

what gun Caliber barrel length etc
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

For .22 , I would rather press-fit/silver solder a can onto a barrel before ever welding it.

For anything with higher pressures I would just abandon the project before welding it to the barrel.
LP
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

for a ,22 he could glue it
they DO glue ,22 barrel liners in place

enough surface and you should be good to go

the fins on the Hawk anti aircraft missiles was glued on , held better than welded or riveted

but hey , they where only used once :wink:
22shoot

Post by 22shoot »

Its a .22 cal. 10/22, stock barrel. I have literally no equipment. But want it to be a "do it your self" project. The only matteral and equipment I have are from a local hardware store and a online ordered 12inchx2inch pipe (for the can). I know it's a great challenge.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

You need to check out the "Freeze plug suppressor" thread on the silencersmithing section.
10mmmag

Post by 10mmmag »

If you are in the U.S i would get that barrel threaded or buy a threaded barrel, so u could use it on other guns.
this
http://www.brownells.com/mobile/aspx/se ... ?pid=41591
and a 24x1.5 tap would be a easy place to start, but would cost you as much as a suppressor in the end.
Who would want a 200 dollar cokebottle and ducttape suppressor???
alemonkey
Silent Operator

Post by alemonkey »

Look on eBay, you can buy a die for threading 10/22 barrels with a guide that keeps it concentric to the bore.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

alemonkey wrote:Look on eBay, you can buy a die for threading 10/22 barrels with a guide that keeps it concentric to the bore.
I see nothing but problems with using that "tool"....best to have your barrel threaded on a lathe.