Starting With a Barrel Blank

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Historian
Silent But Deadly

Starting With a Barrel Blank

Post by Historian »

I found the tutorial information interesting.

<< http://ar15barrels.com/making.shtml >>

This brings up the GunSmoke episode where they made a 20 lb.
.50 caliber rifle using a 'Carbon Fiber Barrel' ... $4,000.00 ??

This was the first time I have ever heard of that sort of barrel.

Anyone knows about this?
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Re: Starting With a Barrel Blank

Post by Enfield577 »

Very interesting

Thanks
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

yeh right $4K and over a year wait, but I made a call and had one shipped overnight :lol:
Fatso really booger'd up the threads on that barrel......I laughed my ass off :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wonder what the customers think about these mistakes when watching the show for the first time with their buddies.
Not as bad as that tattoo show when the judges tell the artist that was "crap" and now this guy has to live with it.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

twodollarbill wrote:yeh right $4K and over a year wait, but I made a call and had one shipped overnight :lol:
Fatso really booger'd up the threads on that barrel......I laughed my ass off :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wonder what the customers think about these mistakes when watching the show for the first time with their buddies.
Not as bad as that tattoo show when the judges tell the artist that was "crap" and now this guy has to live with it.
Thanks. I am glad that I was not the only one who, to be charitable on a public forum, looked
askance at the silly, and at times dangerous, habits of the team. The portly gunsmith
looks somewhat knowledgeable and stable. I was surprised on his using a die that my plumbers
use to thread gas pipe on rifle barrel.

But looking behind the scene on how the 'hot dogs are made'
can be instructive( e.g., go to a better shop).

If I had control over the show's editing I would skip the inane banter and spend more time on metal cutting processes
on the lathe and milling machine. Or follow the cute young lady around as she charms the Ll'l Abners
into doing her bidding.

Shiny metal cutting and shaping is much more interesting than dull
repetitive haggling about overpriced work and smirking over how the mark was taken; or blowing up the same stupid bottles.
It could be a 'Game Changer'. :)
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

It looked to me like the big guy ran the tool post into the chuck? This show while not quite as out there as RJ does many times push the limits of reality.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
epicdoom
Silent But Deadly

Post by epicdoom »

rogerme wrote:It looked to me like the big guy ran the tool post into the chuck? This show while not quite as out there as RJ does many times push the limits of reality.
Looked the same to me He said the barrel slipped in the chuck. If its not an act the guy puts on for the show then he realy is an idot. That barrel has to have a steel insert. Carbon fiber rod and sheet that I use for aircraft doesn't like direct flame. Dont know if its possible to bind it with anything to handle it.
It's truely amazing what the mind can conceive and prompt the hands to create <---Mine..
Semper Fi
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

Yes the barrel itself is steel then they wrap it with the carbon fiber to give it the strength the thin barrel takes away from it. I had one of these type barrels on a 223 rem 700 while it was lighter I did not care for it.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith