Thoughts on adhesive for 22 suppresors

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Thoughts on adhesive for 22 suppresors

Post by Enfield577 »

Hi gents
I have been making quite a few 22 suppressors lately and aways looking for ways to cut time/cuts but keep quality high.

No up till now I always machine both end caps and tubes with threads but permanantly secure the rear endcap with Loctite (only the front cap is required to be removed for cleaning - to get the Ks out)

I wonderd if I could use an adhesive to permanantly secure the rear end cap rather than have to turn the threads.

I tried using loctite 609 with about a 0.002" - 0.003" clearance between the endcap and the tube and after about only 30 rounds the cap started creeping out.

Anone got any ideas or can suggest a grade of loctite that would hold. Needs to be totaly permanant

Thanks
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Re: Thoughts on adhesive for 22 suppresors

Post by SRM »

Make it one piece to start with. Or thread with interference fit. Gota be quick on the later!
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

I can relate to this right here! My f1 can would do the same thing. I`m runnin it on a 10/22 sbr. I lost track but the mount would loosten after firing and stick the mount to the barrel.

Well, after about thirty times of tightening and loosening the mount to the tube its finnaly staying put. I use molly oil on the threads because of ss on ss. All I can figure is the threads needed to mate together ( tube and mount ) to get the propper fit. I thought about lapping them but did not want missalignment from impropper lapping(by hand).

Hope this helped.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

I would have a hard time cleaning a 22lr can if both ends didn't come off.
Sometimes I have to tap out the baffles with a wood dowel after too many rounds.
If you are set on securing the mount end, try JB Weld or you could side drill it and pin it.
epicdoom
Silent But Deadly

Post by epicdoom »

I would have thought the 609 would do the trick Like 3000 PSi strenth on that stuff for close fit parts. Loctite and 2 small Pins 180 Deg out. ? other then welding it

Joe
It's truely amazing what the mind can conceive and prompt the hands to create <---Mine..
Semper Fi
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

epicdoom wrote:I would have thought the 609 would do the trick Like 3000 PSi strenth on that stuff for close fit parts. Loctite and 2 small Pins 180 Deg out. ? other then welding it

Joe
Welding will warp it. Never seen a weld that didn`t pull one way or the other.

Unless you are a Wicked welder!!!!
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

SRM wrote: Welding will warp it. Never seen a weld that didn`t pull one way or the other.

Unless you are a Wicked welder!!!!
No welder can weld without some warping. The good welders know how to space the welds or change direction to adjust for it. I can stick two pieces of metal together but I am no "welder". My little brother is and has a few dozen different certifications to show it. He can weld anything. His shop even has a rig for welding plastic.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

Time for Wicked to chime in.

I`m not disagreeing with you.

Either way, not about welding, its about adhesieves and I have no futher input.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

1) Heat the tube and then press fit the endcap into it while hot, so that when it cools down they stick. Be sure to machine a very slight groove on the inside of the tube, and leave a slight rim on the endcap so that they stay put forever.

2) Machine matching grooves into both the endcap edge and the tube's inner wall. Place locking ring into endcap groove. Press closed and press fit into tube. Locking ring should hold endcap inside.

3) Machine or crimp a small "lip" onto the edge of the tube. Now put the endcap into the tube through the other end, before the baffles. The pressure of the baffles will keep the endcap tight against the lip, the lip prevents it from falling out back, and the threaded front endcap keeps everything in place. And you can STILL tap everything out with a dowel if needs be! Probably the most complex solution however.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Thanks gents, all things to think about and maybe try a few experiments however is does not take too long to cut the threads so I guess for now I will stick with that.

A few points however, this is thin wall Aluminium tube and Aluminium end caps so not sure of the shrink fit, will it hole enough. The solid idea might be worth looking into :idea:

The other thing is that the end cap also needs to be secure from rotation as it will have force applied when screwing and unscrewing from the gun.

I have never had anyone come back with problems removing baffles from one end, however I believe that most never clean them :roll: . I have my first prototype still going strong and do just as you say SRM, poke the baffle out with a stick.

Welding would be good but I would also have concerns with distortion and I don't have a welder so I guess that wopuld be a problem :lol: , like to know about this plastic welding, must be hard strike and arc :lol:

I can think of ideas with pins etc but think it would be just as easy with the current threading method.

The only real quick option would be adhesive, but it just don't like it, was hoping you guys would know of a better grade of Loctite as we can get this product over here in NZ.
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

Locktite has a shelf life
was it too old ??

was everything cleaned right
sillycon
Silent But Deadly

Post by sillycon »

Enfield577 wrote:The other thing is that the end cap also needs to be secure from rotation as it will have force applied when screwing and unscrewing from the gun.
If your outer tube had a lip, and the rear end cap had a shelf for it, you could machine matching waves into the surfaces in order to "lock" the two together once the baffle stack and front end cap were inserted. This would prevent your rear end cap from spinning.

Though, that methodology would probably require a CNC (not sure if you have access to one or not). Should you be limited to a manual mill, you could simply use a locating notch or two. This way you can use the rear end cap push out the baffle stack, yet it still won't spin or come off.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

Enfield577 wrote: however I believe that most never clean them :roll: .
I'm sure my 22lr suppressor would be totally caked solid by 5000 rounds.
Shot 1000 rounds of CCI mimi-mags this weekend and the between the muzzle and
my blast baffle was caked. With quite a lot of debris in the K baffles.
I would not recommend shooting over 2000 rounds without disassembling.
Someone had posted pics of what an uncleaned 22lr suppressor a while back.....
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

twodollarbill wrote:
Enfield577 wrote: however I believe that most never clean them :roll: .
I'm sure my 22lr suppressor would be totally caked solid by 5000 rounds.
Shot 1000 rounds of CCI mimi-mags this weekend and the between the muzzle and
my blast baffle was caked. With quite a lot of debris in the K baffles.
I would not recommend shooting over 2000 rounds without disassembling.
Someone had posted pics of what an uncleaned 22lr suppressor a while back.....
I have posted tons of dirty baffle pics. We extract more solid 22lr cores than ones where the baffles come out freely.

K baffles and 22lr are a good sound combination but not a good cleaning combination.
epicdoom
Silent But Deadly

Post by epicdoom »

Plastic welding is easy I have a welding tool for that uses a heating element and compressed air.
Welding can and usually does pull things out of alignment. were talking end cap tho weld it on its just an exit hole wait and drill it after the welding is done on threaded end thread after also. No matter without a welder it aint happening LOL What Lava said makes the most sense for it heating up the tube and installing the end cap on a heat expanded tube could work once it contracts it should be nice and Tight.

Joe
It's truely amazing what the mind can conceive and prompt the hands to create <---Mine..
Semper Fi
10mmmag

Post by 10mmmag »

A note on adhesives, epoxy made for laminates are much stronger and cheaper than loctite.
I have built a couple of windsurf boards, and epoxy with glass or carbon cloth is very strong, but its sticky, allergenic and time-consuming to work with.

You could wrap the entire suppressor and endcap with a layer and go for the carbon look.

One of the best building company is located in NZ
http://carbonartwindsurf.com
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

Instead of adhesives, you could make the endcap a press fit as has been suggested, but cut a groove in OD of the part that presses in so you can use a pipe cutter with a rounded (not sharp) blade to roll a crimp in the tube (lined up with the groove) and lock it in place. I don't have pics, but I've seen someone post pics on the forum before.....looked like a quick and easy way to lock parts in the tube....could also be used to lock baffles in place without spacer tubes.
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

All good ideas thanks Gents

I will do a few experiments
10mmmag

Post by 10mmmag »

You can always buy or make a special tap for threading the tube on the lathe, it speeds up the process a lot. With a floating holder for the tap its fast and easy.
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

10mmmag wrote:You can always buy or make a special tap for threading the tube on the lathe, it speeds up the process a lot. With a floating holder for the tap its fast and easy.
Yes I thought of that as I just made a tap for my Walther P22 barrel (8mm x 0.75) I made an alternative barrel nut that had an extended front part with thread for suppressor

Cheers
Rrdstarr

Post by Rrdstarr »

Interference fit and liquid nitrogen. Make the end cap .0015 bigger then the tube. Place the end cap in the Liquid nitrogen for 10 minutes. Quickly assemble with a hydraulic press.
No longer residing in the US of A.
Retired US Army Special Forces
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Rrdstarr wrote:Interference fit and liquid nitrogen. Make the end cap .0015 bigger then the tube. Place the end cap in the Liquid nitrogen for 10 minutes. Quickly assemble with a hydraulic press.
Well I got the press but right out of nitrogen (well liquid nitrogen that is :lol: )
Rrdstarr

Post by Rrdstarr »

Enfield577 wrote:
Rrdstarr wrote:Interference fit and liquid nitrogen. Make the end cap .0015 bigger then the tube. Place the end cap in the Liquid nitrogen for 10 minutes. Quickly assemble with a hydraulic press.
Well I got the press but right out of nitrogen (well liquid nitrogen that is :lol: )
You can probably rent a cylinder for a week if you need too!
No longer residing in the US of A.
Retired US Army Special Forces
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

How about an interference fit + pins? The two combined should work OK.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Baffled wrote:How about an interference fit + pins? The two combined should work OK.
I wouldn't trust a Form1 can with those features.

I would venture a try with my SOT but thats pretty risky.