Booster/LID question

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Booster/LID question

Post by Shift1 »

When developing a plan for a Booster/LID module, is it best to isolate the compression spring from the gases or can the spring space be utilized for expansion area. Understanding of course the space, if used, would be subject to all of the carbon and heat from the firing cycle. How well do the springs tollerate the heat? If developed, would be used on semi host(s)
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
alemonkey
Silent Operator

Re: Booster/LID question

Post by alemonkey »

I obviously know next to nothing about boosters, but I'm wondering if fouling would interfere with the spring's operation if it was utilized as part of the expansion chamber.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

Pistons can have slots or ports to allow gases to enter the spring area.
Best to use a stainless steel compression spring. http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT2?P ... 0003348006
Don't use a music wire spring or galvanized one from the hardware store.
I posted a build of a 9mm suppressor with booster.
I did not vent that piston and I am please with results of that setup.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79673
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: twodollarbill......is it just me or have you never posted video of your can in action? Did I miss it somewhere?

A guy that was really happy with his new f1 can would figure out a way to post video.......just say'n :wink:
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

because twodollar has not psted a vid doesnt mean he didnt do what he said.

yes the piston housing is a sort of first chamber. pistons being ported.
NP
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

delta9mda wrote:because twodollar has not psted a vid doesnt mean he didnt do what he said.

yes the piston housing is a sort of first chamber. pistons being ported.

Never said that......never meant to imply that....at least not seriously....just giving him a hard time, and would like to see a video. :shock:

I know it's HOT in most of the country and that put's folks on edge, but this forum as a whole needs to lighten up a little.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

daviscustom wrote::roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: twodollarbill......is it just me or have you never posted video of your can in action? Did I miss it somewhere?

A guy that was really happy with his new f1 can would figure out a way to post video.......just say'n :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You guys are right.....I need to do a video.
When my boys and I go shooting, nobody brings a camera and the cells are usually left in the car.
Next time out, I'll try my best.
Hope to have pics and do a thread on my latest form1 build too.

davis......I agree, it's been dam hot here in Wisconsin.

Don't expect anything too soon.....Harleys are gased up and we are heading for Sturgis on Wednesday. :D
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

Awesome! I will look forward to seeing it someday.....when it's cooler. Have a safe trip.

Really crappy shooting weather here for about 2 months and I know it's been that way most places......makes me cranky too.
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

twodollarbill wrote:Pistons can have slots or ports to allow gases to enter the spring area.
Best to use a stainless steel compression spring. http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT2?P ... 0003348006
Don't use a music wire spring or galvanized one from the hardware store.
I posted a build of a 9mm suppressor with booster.
I did not vent that piston and I am please with results of that setup.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79673
Good to know, located a vendor that has stainless steel compression springs with machined ends exactly the dimensions I had in mind. I saw your build....very nice work. Now to decide whether to vent or not. Could use the little bit of extra volume....every little bit will help even if is only 1/2 cubic inch. Also would shed some un-needed weight, albiet a minor loss
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Vent or vent-less is all dependent on your booster design and how it actually works.

Some have vents others don't. It CAN help dB reductions if you work it right.
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

Bendersquint wrote:Vent or vent-less is all dependent on your booster design and how it actually works.

Some have vents others don't. It CAN help dB reductions if you work it right.
Good to know...
"LP"