Booster question.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rqlasl
Silent But Deadly

Booster question.

Post by rqlasl »

When using a suppressor on a fixed barrel host I have read that you need to replace the spring in the booster with a solid spacer. What is different that a solid spacer is needed and what could happen if you fired it on a fixed barrel?
Thanks, R
sumkrnboy
Silent But Deadly

Re: Booster question.

Post by sumkrnboy »

The solid spacer or tube locks the booster and prevents it from operating while attached to a fixed barrel. If you fire a recoil booster equipped suppressor without first locking the mechanism, you can damage the threads on the barrel due to the recoil generated by the booster.
rqlasl
Silent But Deadly

Post by rqlasl »

Fair enough, I knew there had to be a good reason.
Thanks, R.
idpasharpshooter

Post by idpasharpshooter »

a booster acts like the piston in a car. when the bullet passes the front of the booster piston the expanding gases force back on the piston pushing it and thus the barrel back allowing it to unlock and work the action. the bullet and barrel does the same thing when there is no suppressor attached the problem is by the time the bullet reaches the end of the suppressor there is not enough pressure to act on the barrel enough to work the action. the reasion this becomes a problem when you have a fixed barrel is the piston is creating energy that has no where to go therefor putting force where there shouldn't be.

on a side note to further understand why a booster is needed you can push back on the end of your barrel and you will notice it will move back a half inch give or take and that's it. this short distance is what is needed to unlock the action of your pistol. when you fire the gun it moves back with enough energy that inertia takes the slide the rest of the way back. if you watch a slow motion video you will see it does not move until the bullet leaves the barrel. this is because the bullet leaving the barrel forms a sort of piston that forces the barrel back.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Are there different booster springs with different spring constants
for each weapon? The spring on the .45 1911A1 is not the same
as on the BH or Glock. Or is it "One Spring Fits All" ?
vz58
Silent Operator

Post by vz58 »

Different springs for different applications.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

Historian wrote:Are there different booster springs with different spring constants
for each weapon? The spring on the .45 1911A1 is not the same
as on the BH or Glock. Or is it "One Spring Fits All" ?
I have a AWC Nexus for my 1911. When I looked into mounting it on an HK Socom when they first came out
it would of required not only the different threaded piston, but a specific spring setup or damage
would occur to the HK Socom.....kind of got the same answers with doing a Glock 21.
Interestingly, I did not get the same answers to my questions at the time when asking about taking
specific setups and adapting them to a 1911.
Unless I was missing something being said...seems I was being told that a 1911 can handle what other 45's can't.
I just shoot 1911's anyway.
BigRed

Post by BigRed »

Is there a calculation for spring strength? In the last if the spring is different gun to gun even with the same round there must be a factor that matters, maybe the weight of the gun, barrel length?

There must be some industry proprietary formula, I can't imagine it is all trial and error if it could mess up the guns. Or is it trial and error just do it on your buddies gun not yours? :D

Red
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

BigRed wrote:Is there a calculation for spring strength? In the last if the spring is different gun to gun even with the same round there must be a factor that matters, maybe the weight of the gun, barrel length?

There must be some industry proprietary formula, I can't imagine it is all trial and error if it could mess up the guns. Or is it trial and error just do it on your buddies gun not yours? :D

Red
There are formulas(if you want to call it that) and proprietary as you say.

There is alot of trial and error to it, again thats why manufacturers produce them and most Form1 builders don't. Noone likes replacing $250 barrels.