Newbie Sanity Check Legal Question

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

cpy911
Senior Silent Operator

Newbie Sanity Check Legal Question

Post by cpy911 »

Hi,
I am interested in building a Silencer and am well aware of legal issues and requirements (Tax Stamp) regarding suppressors in the US. I will naturally abide by all rules and laws.

Now for my dumb question, is it ok if I toy around with designs using CAD/Paper/Napkin BEFORE I apply for a tax stamp? I am trying to get my head around the parts and machining required to see if it is in my capabilities and whether I will even go this route!

Thanks and sorry for the dumb question. I assume looking at designs and making a design on paper is legal....but want to check...

Thanks!
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Re: Newbie Sanity Check Legal Question

Post by Enfield577 »

Now I am not from the US so the other guys will confirm this but from what I understand designing and drawing etc. is OK but no physical models from plastic or whatever.

I understand that you must state certain broad dimensions on your Form one so that would dictate that you must have a fairly good idea of what you intend making before hand.

As for me I just have to check with the wife that I am allowed in the workshop again for a few hours :lol:

There is a load of help available here so just ask regards the actual design but give full details of what you want to make eg caliber etc.

Cheers
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

cpy911 wrote:Hi,
I am interested in building a Silencer and am well aware of legal issues and requirements (Tax Stamp) regarding suppressors in the US. I will naturally abide by all rules and laws.

Now for my dumb question, is it ok if I toy around with designs using CAD/Paper/Napkin BEFORE I apply for a tax stamp? I am trying to get my head around the parts and machining required to see if it is in my capabilities and whether I will even go this route!

Thanks and sorry for the dumb question. I assume looking at designs and making a design on paper is legal....but want to check...

Thanks!
You can draw all you want, build 3d digital models, you just can't make any parts regardless the material.

As Enfield said you have to give the ATF length and caliber on the Form1.
cpy911
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cpy911 »

Ok. Thanks for the Sanity check. I thought a design would be ok....just NO physical parts or models until I have the tax stamp in hand....

Thanks guys!!!
cpy911
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cpy911 »

cpy911 wrote:Ok. Thanks for the Sanity check. I thought a design would be ok....just NO physical parts or models until I have the tax stamp in hand....

Thanks guys!!!
So, if I were to draw a part, make a drawing of it, could I send it to a machine shop and have them make it and send it back? Or, do I physically have to machine the parts myself?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

cpy911 wrote:
cpy911 wrote:Ok. Thanks for the Sanity check. I thought a design would be ok....just NO physical parts or models until I have the tax stamp in hand....

Thanks guys!!!
So, if I were to draw a part, make a drawing of it, could I send it to a machine shop and have them make it and send it back? Or, do I physically have to machine the parts myself?
You can have a licensed manufacturer(07/02) fab the parts for you. if they are not an 07/02 then they can not fab the parts without you on site. Finding a manufacturer to do the work for you could pose difficult.

You can go to ANY machine shop and stand there while the part is being cut. You can not leave any parts whether complete or not there, all parts and everything must go where you go.

Be aware that the price of making the one-off set of parts could be far more than the cost of just buying a commercial silencer.

Form1 is best for those that have the equipment themselves to do it. If you can't make it yourself you are probably better off to just buy one.
cpy911
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cpy911 »

Bendersquint wrote:
cpy911 wrote:

Thanks guys!!!
You can have a licensed manufacturer(07/02) fab the parts for you. if they are not an 07/02 then they can not fab the parts without you on site. Finding a manufacturer to do the work for you could pose difficult.

You can go to ANY machine shop and stand there while the part is being cut. You can not leave any parts whether complete or not there, all parts and everything must go where you go.

Be aware that the price of making the one-off set of parts could be far more than the cost of just buying a commercial silencer.

Form1 is best for those that have the equipment themselves to do it. If you can't make it yourself you are probably better off to just buy one.
I was curious how the Form 1 worked for outsourcing. Now I know!
I have a friend with a full service machine shop, so the plan would be for me to build the parts myself with supervision.

I am wanting to do this for the experience and getting back on a lathe again. Last time I touched one was in college! I am working with Enfield577 design for K-baffles and attempting to tweak it for US customary sizing to more easily match up with available metal stock sizes. (He is in NZ using metric sizing). Once I have a full 3D model, I will post it for critique.

Buying a commercial one would be fine, but I want the experience and it is a fun hobby! If all goes well, I hope to share a fully dimensioned set of drawings, including fixtures for others to build a good "value" can for themselves. Kind of an "Open Source" can for the benefit of the group. I hope to include a full parts list and vendor sources as well. I have not seen a "free" fully dimensioned and toleranced design package for a .22lr suppressor out there, so I thought why not get one out there since I am going through the process myself, might as well document it! I have seen some excellent designs on the forum, but nothing that has a complete set of drawings to work from.

This is for a .22lr only can, btw. It will be Aluminum with 1 Stainless steel blast baffle, with remaining baffles in Aluminum. I am thinking the standard threaded end cap for mounting will be stainless steel as well.

Thanks again!
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

Sounds like you're on the right path.
Good luck and welcome to ST.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Lest I am incorrect would not the expense of having a good
machinist safely manufacture your design be close to paying for one
of the best cans on the market?

Please do not get me wrong, personally I would prefer to have
souped up [ is this phrase now as antiquated as Chaucer English?]
a 1964 Buick Wildcat [ actually did in part ] than buy an
Aston Martin. Or should I blame a glaring lack of machining skills? :) :)

Good luck.
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Sounds like a great idea and I will offer all the help I can, photos of jigs whatever.

Time permitting (the wife has serious illness) I can even do the odd try out, as I can just get on make it

I would say that I have run a test can for about three years now, it has been on and off of many guns, has an Aluiminium (Aluminum) end cap and is still going strong.

Cheers
CharlieBravo
Silent Operator

Post by CharlieBravo »

Enfield577: I laughed when I read that you only need your wife's permission to make a silencer, maybe because that's exactly my situation. I'm sorry to read that she's ill, my prayers go out to both of you, I'm sure I speak for all of us in wishing she gets better soon.
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

CharlieBravo wrote:Enfield577: I laughed when I read that you only need your wife's permission to make a silencer, maybe because that's exactly my situation. I'm sorry to read that she's ill, my prayers go out to both of you, I'm sure I speak for all of us in wishing she gets better soon.

Thanks for that
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Bendersquint wrote:Be aware that the price of making the one-off set of parts could be far more than the cost of just buying a commercial silencer.

QFT!
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
cpy911
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cpy911 »

For sure on the price of one off. I have a friend with a machine shop who I am hoping will let me use the lathe/mill/tooling after hours. I am doing the project for fun and hope to beef up my machining skills! The good thing is the raw material is not too expensive, so I can make plenty of mistakes along the way without feeling too bad!
Wicked wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:Be aware that the price of making the one-off set of parts could be far more than the cost of just buying a commercial silencer.

QFT!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

cpy911 wrote:For sure on the price of one off. I have a friend with a machine shop who I am hoping will let me use the lathe/mill/tooling after hours. I am doing the project for fun and hope to beef up my machining skills! The good thing is the raw material is not too expensive, so I can make plenty of mistakes along the way without feeling too bad!
Wicked wrote:

QFT!
No you can't make plenty of mistakes, you can not replace parts. You can always remove more metal, you can not add metal.