? on max weight of a can for a Glock 9mm without a booster

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

CThomas
Silent But Deadly

? on max weight of a can for a Glock 9mm without a booster

Post by CThomas »

So what is the maximum weight that you can hang off a glock 9mm and still have it cycle without a booster (example G19).
If I recall corrrectly Al Paulson said around 3.5 oz or so but I see Thompson Machine's Posideon is 3.85oz.
The Glock 34 has a machined opening on the slide, can something like that on say a G19 or 26 allow a slightly
heavier can? Also how much of a roll does the recoil spring play. If you go with a lighter spring will that allow
a couple of tenths of an ounce more on the can?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: ? on max weight of a can for a Glock 9mm without a boost

Post by Bendersquint »

CThomas wrote:So what is the maximum weight that you can hang off a glock 9mm and still have it cycle without a booster (example G19).
If I recall corrrectly Al Paulson said around 3.5 oz or so but I see Thompson Machine's Posideon is 3.85oz.
The Glock 34 has a machined opening on the slide, can something like that on say a G19 or 26 allow a slightly
heavier can? Also how much of a roll does the recoil spring play. If you go with a lighter spring will that allow
a couple of tenths of an ounce more on the can?
Heaviest we got(unreliably) it 3.1oz without a booster.

Lighter spring doesn't work reliably with the lighter can either just makes it more likely to stovepipe or FTE.
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

My gut feeling tells me that the Glock 19 is a bad gun for a non boosted can
the barrel is short , that means that the barrel has to tilt MORE than a longer one
that tilt will have to lift the front of the can MORE , the momentum of the can will try to hinder that lift

the only place the energy for that lift can come from is ,from the moving slide

and a non boosted can will slow the slide down ,or actually never allow the slide to gain the right speed ,, and there you have the problem

a Beretta or P38/P1 would be a better candidate for a non boosted can, no lift with those guns
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wolf wrote:My gut feeling tells me that the Glock 19 is a bad gun for a non boosted can
the barrel is short , that means that the barrel has to tilt MORE than a longer one
that tilt will have to lift the front of the can MORE , the momentum of the can will try to hinder that lift

and a non boosted can will slow the slide down ,or actually never allow the slide to gain the right speed ,, and there you have the problem

a Beretta or P38/P1 would be a better candidate for a non boosted can, no lift with those guns
Beretta 92's still need a booster to be reliable with normal sized cans but with the smaller ones they cycle fine without the booster.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

HK's P7 or P9S.
I still have a P9S with a threaded barrel, wish I would of never sold my threaded P7
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

Bendersquint wrote:
wolf wrote:My gut feeling tells me that the Glock 19 is a bad gun for a non boosted can

Beretta 92's still need a booster to be reliable with normal sized cans but with the smaller ones they cycle fine without the booster.
Sins he asked for the max weight for a NON boosted can , i left out that part

You CAN make a Beretta or P38 work fine with a non boosted can

the guts an a low weight will make it possible

Now i dont say it will be as good as the best Boosted cans

BUT they will work when a Glock 19 will not

you can even get a boost from a can without a booster :wink: