stepped cone spacing

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

vz58
Silent Operator

stepped cone spacing

Post by vz58 »

300 blackout super, sub and occasional .308 can.

I will be using stepped cones similar to deltas 300 wmag. I am looking for suggestions on how far into the base of the previous cone should the nose of the next be located?
zevdogs
Silent But Deadly

Re: stepped cone spacing

Post by zevdogs »

1inch
gremlingarage

Post by gremlingarage »

how about a picture?
vz58
Silent Operator

Post by vz58 »

Ok I drew smooth cones for simplicity.

Drawing 1 shows the nose of the cone at the rear of the previous cone.

Drawing 2 shows the nose of the cone advanced into the base of the previous cone.

Drawing 3 shows the nose of the cone spaced behind the rear of the previous cone.

Question 1. which is preferred for mostly supersonic projectiles (300 black out)

Question 2. If it is to be advanced or behind the cone how much? Does it matter?

Question 3. should I change the spacing from barrel end to suppressor end? i.e. more volume/space for first, progressively tighter baffle spacing as we approach the end of suppressor.

I ask because I will begin engraving my tube tomorrow and will leave the tube long until exact spacing is decided and cones are cut. If I have time though I would to like to thread the tube
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

vz58 wrote: Question 1. which is preferred for mostly supersonic projectiles (300 black out)

2 and 3

Question 2. If it is to be advanced or behind the cone how much? Does it matter?

Behind(3) varies with the diameter and length.

Question 3. should I change the spacing from barrel end to suppressor end? i.e. more volume/space for first, progressively tighter baffle spacing as we approach the end of suppressor.

Yes, tighter the closer you get to the bore, but again varies depending on your diameter and length.