Was sick, hoping to just let this thread die

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Was sick, hoping to just let this thread die

Post by daviscustom »

I know this is not directly related to silencersmithing but I feel like hammered dog crap right know and I'm hoping maybe someone hear can tell me if this might be work related.

I've been working as a machinist for about six months and I recently got sick. (last Thursday) Aching/stiff all over, fever that ranges up to about 103 F and about three days in developed a blotchy, non-defined rash that is not raised, currently it is on the insides of my arms and legs and some on my stomach. The rash areas burn when I first get up and start walking around/moving....and if I am lying down with my leg together it gets very hot pretty quickly.

Went to the doc today, he didn't know what it was...did a bunch of tests, should get them back tomorrow. Wondered if this sounded like anything related to my job....if you guys are familiar with anything like this? Wondered about infection from funky coolant getting on me semi-regularly.

Anything that might help with diagnoses would be greatly appreciated.

Doc thought it has to be some sort of systemic infection since the rash is so wide spread..but he could not identify it from the symptoms.
Last edited by daviscustom on Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Re: I'm sick and need some input from fello machinists

Post by Shift1 »

Not a Physician but did stay at a Holiday Inn last night..... seriously try WebMD.com It allows you to input symptoms and may help you to figure out whats up.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Only reactions I have seen to coolant with bugs in is just a skin rash but nothing like a fever

The rash normally is just confined to parts that touch the coolant, hands etc.

Hope you get sorted soon

All the best
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

I'll try that out.....hope I'm just freaked out for no reason, but I don't get sick often at all and this has me wondering.

Had a guy at work a month or so ago that had a skin infection from bad coolant in a cut ....and this looks different.

Just thought if it was something odd that tended to be occupation specific, maybe someone here would know about it.
vz58
Silent Operator

Post by vz58 »

no idea. I had a reaction to a synthetic coolant, was in nailbeds, fingers and face where I touched. Nothing like you say.
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

Web md didn't yield much.
It may just be some nasty bug I bumped into somewhere.....just thought the sooner I figured out the cause, the sooner I can get rid of it.

Thought it was worth a shot.
zevdogs
Silent But Deadly

Post by zevdogs »

Lymph node cancer dude..... Lol nah the only thing I've ever got in 24 years and many different shops is problems with rashes ore crap I'm my lungs
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

You have the Ebola virus and you have 24-48 hours left before you crash and bleed out, symptoms commonly include fever, weakness, achy, stiff joints along with rash.

Sorry Dude, best of luck you'll be missed!
Hey any machine guns that you can quickly bequeth to me or perhaps a KAC XM9 aka Snap On Can?

PS: I'm not a Doctor either but this is the answers you might get when asking to be diagnosed by a bunch of guys on a silencer site. :lol:
Seriously though just hang in there, yeah the fever sucks hopefully it will break and your real Doc's should have something for you. Rashes can be casued by so many things; dirty pool water, virus, allergies etc.

The only experience I can convey with regards to a rash and chemicals was when I had to do a chemical clean up assesment with the DEC in a former Knife Factory. After touching dozens of unknown items (real smart) I awoke the next day to find a rash every place I touched myself :shock: I knew it was a reaction from one of more of the chemicals because when I sat on the throne in the comfort station to do my business (shorts down) I touched my thighs and then rested my forearms on my upper thighs and the rash was there and on the inside of my forearms as well as my face, neck etc. We never found out exactly what chemical caused it but I am still alive several years later. My only concern is that the chemicals leached into my body and cancer is brewing and I do not know it yet, but heck I am also stil worried that I have anthrax in me from Oct 2001 when that dipshit mailed it to my building and several FBI agents and I had it droppped right in our laps. The only good thing about that day was one of the FBI chicks was so hot.
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

You guys are a lotta help :lol:

I just thought since several of you had been in the business for a long time maybe it would ring a bell for someone....if it was an occupational kinda thing.
Doc did a bunch of blood work yesterday so hopefully something will turn up.

I guess providing a little comic relief is fine too.
...And sorry I haven't summoned up the cash for many NFA toys, so not much to bequeath.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Taking a variation on the old TV Commercial " I am not a doctor
but I have known many, especially researchers".

Flow diagram list:

Where in the World do you live? Third World Nation => full spectrum initiators.

Do you use creme barriers such as Kerodex 71 on your hands and arms
every time you touch chemicals AND metals around your shop? NO ==> possible
problem source(s).

Does your shop have adequate air filtration? NO => metal dust ingestion.

In the final analysis you must be your own diagnostician. Make a list of all the chemicals used
in your environ. Metals especially. Etc.

Really wishing you the best. And, go to a good Dermatologist such as one associated with
a Teaching/University Hospital.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

My reference to your living in a "Third World Nation"
was intended as light hearted relief ... unless you live in
a DemonRat, OOPS, DemoCrat enclave. :) :)

Again, best.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

The fever is the symptom that makes me think it's not directly work related. A fever is your body's way of trying to kill off a germ (infection). Unless the "funky coolant" is harboring some type of bacteria, fungus or virus, then you wouldn't have gotten an infection from it.

Do you think that you might have shingles? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shingles
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

Thanks for the input...starting to think the rash may just be heat rash from the 103 fever, since it started in all the places where body parts are up against each other laying in bed. The thing that doesn't make sense is it appears to have gotten a little wider spread even though the fever has started to back off.

They didn't have the bloodwork back yet.....supposed to go in for a follow up tomorrow.

Looking at this point like it may be starting to going away, and it probably isn't work related....so I will quit boring you guys with it.

Thanks again.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

Place I worked had coolant in a machine but it only affected one operator - and he had been a machinist for ~40 years and never had a reaction to coolant in the past. Other operators on same machine didn't have any issues. Anyway, he had burning/itching/uncomfortable rashes developing. We were pretty good (not the best, but better than a lot of places) about coolant maintenance but called in the rep from Master Chemical. They are very responsive to stuff like that & did all kinds of tests. They (coolant manufacturers) are as concerned about their product reacting with people as much as anyone else. Turned out there was nothing funky in the coolant but for some reason this guy started having a reaction to it even though he had been exposed to it for several years (prior to that was a different brand).

Everyone is different and we're all affected differently by the same thing. We develop new and lose old allergies sometimes. So for skin conditions, never rule out coolant and look there first.

For the sickness, it could be coolant related as well. I hate shops that allow employees to eat, drink, smoke, or dip on the floor. It's real easy for nasty stuff to breed in a machine tool sump no matter what fancy coolant you use or how diligent you are with keeping up with it. Sometimes all it takes is the machine being out of service for a few days - the aeration/filtration/oil separator/movement is stopped for just a few days & nobody thinks anything of it. Start the machine & it smells like something died. Anyway, even if you're not putting your hands all over your face & touching things that go in your mouth it's still real easy to splash yourself or inhale some mist.

Hope you feel better soon & it's not work related.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

Have you been playin with any heavy metals? There are many and most if not all are bad for you.
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

Guess if it hangs around long term, or reappears later, then it very well may be related to coolant....time will tell I guess.

Heavy metals........not that I can think of. The company I work for has been building a machine to gundrill pure tungsten but it is all enclosed and flushed with coolant....so no dust.
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

daviscustom wrote:Guess if it hangs around long term, or reappears later, then it very well may be related to coolant....time will tell I guess.

Heavy metals........not that I can think of. The company I work for has been building a machine to gundrill pure tungsten but it is all enclosed and flushed with coolant....so no dust.
Hey you might just be allergic to going to work :wink: , I know I am, just bloody hate it but not found away around it yet :)

All the best
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

I actually am liking what I do most days. Only way it could be any better is if I was building suppressors or doing gun work, but this is a lot closer then what I was doing 7 months ago. It's different everyday, most of the time I'm on manual lathe and fill in on a CNC mill when lathe work is slow. Don't mind either one as long as the part count doesn't get too out of hand....don't like standing and waiting on a machine to do the work.
tony1959

Post by tony1959 »

Well now I guess I will have to let the boss know you really want to run one of the production machines :shock: .

I can not wait until the next time we run trolly castings 15,000 parts is a small batch :lol:
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

It's a bit early, but the flu season is close at hand. And somebody has to be the first one to get it. :wink:
Machine Gun Matt
Silent But Deadly

Post by Machine Gun Matt »

Are You on a well?
07/02 FFL-SOT
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

All the tests came back normal and I'm feeling much better....though nowhere near 100%. Still feel like something isn't right yet but maybe by next week things will be straightened out.

Thanks for all the input guys
gunningbadger
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunningbadger »

I'll preface this with I'm not a doctor. But it sounds to me like you had a viral illness with a reactive rash. Namely erythema nodosum. Take this with a grain of salt. Look at a few pictures of erythema nodosum and see if it matches what was going on.
gunningbadger
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunningbadger »

Also being in Missouri could have been a reaction to contacting some of the common fungi in the area. Like histoplasmosis.