a symmetrical baffle stack

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

1rosta

a symmetrical baffle stack

Post by 1rosta »

I was reading on another site that certain barrels must use a symmetrical baffle stack in their can.
Please educate me as to what this is. Thanks
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: a symmetrical baffle stack

Post by Bendersquint »

1rosta wrote:I was reading on another site that certain barrels must use a symmetrical baffle stack in their can.
Symmetrical baffles only help with accuracy issues, but at the same time asymmetrical baffle can enhance accuracy the same if designed right.

What barrels require the use of symmetrical baffles? Post or PM the link please.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Also, asymmetric baffles tend to be easier to reduce sound.
Handloader

Post by Handloader »

Bendersquint wrote:
1rosta wrote:I was reading on another site that certain barrels must use a symmetrical baffle stack in their can.
Symmetrical baffles only help with accuracy issues, but at the same time asymmetrical baffle can enhance accuracy the same if designed right.

What barrels require the use of symmetrical baffles? Post or PM the link please.
Noveske 300 Blackout barrels (shooting heavy subsonics [208Amax 220SMK] secondary to baffle strikes).....see Noveske's website for disclaimer
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

I don't buy that and haven't seen any issues with what they are talking about.

Seen plenty of Noveske barrels suppressed with zero issues.
1rosta

Post by 1rosta »

I saw this on AR-15.com :D
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/37816 ... stion.html

This is from Noveske's web site " In the development of this barrel, we found evidence that the suppressor may require a symmetrical baffle stack as found in the AAC Cyclone K, 762-SDN6, and Surefire 762K suppressor. Suppressors which cause off axis turbulence, such as those with K type baffles, may cause baffle strikes and/or point of impact shift, and may damage your suppressor. Noveske Rifleworks LLC will not be responsible for damage or injury under ANY circumstances. Consult you suppressor manufacturer to determine if your suppressor is suitable for this "
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

1rosta wrote:I saw this on AR-15.com :D

This is from Noveske's web site " In the development of this barrel, we found evidence that the suppressor may require a symmetrical baffle stack as found in the AAC Cyclone K, 762-SDN6, and Surefire 762K suppressor. Suppressors which cause off axis turbulence, such as those with K type baffles, may cause baffle strikes and/or point of impact shift, and may damage your suppressor. Noveske Rifleworks LLC will not be responsible for damage or injury under ANY circumstances. Consult you suppressor manufacturer to determine if your suppressor is suitable for this "
ah I guess they mean "k"s only.

I wasn't thinking all traditional cones . . . I know some have a notch on one side or a different nose height.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

57fairlane wrote:
1rosta wrote:I saw this on AR-15.com :D

ah I guess they mean "k"s only.

I wasn't thinking all traditional cones . . . I know some have a notch on one side or a different nose height.
They mean any baffle that isn't symmetrical. That's what makes no sense.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

If the bullets are adequately stabilized, the design of the baffle should not be an issue.

When shooting the very heavy and long pills at low velocity, there might be initial stability issues if the barrel does not have a fast enough twist.

Then add the extra off-axis turbulence of the asymmetric baffles and the bullet might tend to get a bit side-e-ways in the can?
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Wicked wrote:If the bullets are adequately stabilized, the design of the baffle should not be an issue.

When shooting the very heavy and long pills at low velocity, there might be initial stability issues if the barrel does not have a fast enough twist.

Then add the extra off-axis turbulence of the asymmetric baffles and the bullet might tend to get a bit side-e-ways in the can?
If the barrel will stabilize the bullet then it doesn't matter the design of the bore aperture or the baffles. If the barrel isn't stabilizing the bullet it doesn't matter if its a perfect bore it will still have problems.