For those of you with a CNC mill and a .22 monocore

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

For those of you with a CNC mill and a .22 monocore

Post by 57fairlane »

Did this one quite awhile ago.

Project was subsequently killed off and probably will never see the light of day ever. So I might as well share it with my closest silencer friends . . .

I realize if anyone has access to a CNC mill, you aren't the average form 1 person, AND the baffle shape looks oddly familiar :D

Last edited by 57fairlane on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Re: For those of you with a CNC mill and a .22 monocore

Post by bakerjw »

Very effective use of turbulence. Good job.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

bakerjw wrote:Very effective use of turbulence. Good job.
.22LR seems to be WAY more friendly to actually moving the gas where you want it :mrgreen:

This same design in 9mm isn't that great and in .45 its awful.
Last edited by 57fairlane on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Waite87

Post by Waite87 »

Does indeed look pretty familiar. Sent you a PM about .dwg files also.

Shoot quietly,
Waite87
kingjamez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kingjamez »

Nice design, how did you make the bore hole?

-Jim
My Form 1 Monocore build on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH37sv2ySHmB1tTivFYIF8y2CW8rmiZRi
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

57fairlane, impressive, commendable, and enviable machining.

Would that the price of a CNC milling machine's pricing experienced a
Moore'e Law drop as has occurred with the continual lowering of the cost of computing power.

+1
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

kingjamez wrote:Nice design, how did you make the bore hole?

-Jim
Started with 1" bar stock, deep hole drilled using a 17/64" thru-coolant titex drill.

Then turned between centers to get the diameter.

Held in a kurt vice for the profile.
Historian wrote:57fairlane, impressive, commendable, and enviable machining.

Would that the price of a CNC milling machine's pricing experienced a
Moore'e Law drop as has occurred with the continual lowering of the cost of computing power.

+1
Ha!

I use CNC everyday at work . . . otherwise it wouldn't have been possible :mrgreen:
Remi

Post by Remi »

57fairlane wrote:Did this one quite awhile ago.

Project was subsequently killed off and probably will never see the light of day ever. So I might as well share it with my closest silencer friends . . .

I realize if anyone has access to a CNC mill, you aren't the average form 1 person, AND the baffle shape looks oddly familiar :D

I've got a dxf/dwg if anyone wants it . . . but its basically .990 in diameter, .265 bore, and the front is a little fancy requiring an 1/8" end mill as the rest can be done with a 3/16". It took me around 23-25 minutes to cut if you had a blank ready to go.

Out of the 18 times I metered it on a p22, it performed under the element and sparrow. Of course it is ~.600 or so longer than both :wink:

PM Sent. :D
cpy911
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cpy911 »

PM Sent
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

I have two titex drills. both metric, 10mm and .....something a little bigger. nice drills. mine are for ss. Still new.
cpy911
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cpy911 »

Can we get a pic showing the other end as well?
MMH
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MMH »

I'm interested in the dwg file. PM sent.
57fairlane wrote:Did this one quite awhile ago.

I've got a dxf/dwg if anyone wants it . . . but its basically .990 in diameter, .265 bore, and the front is a little fancy requiring an 1/8" end mill as the rest can be done with a 3/16". It took me around 23-25 minutes to cut if you had a blank ready to go.

Out of the 18 times I metered it on a p22, it performed under the element and sparrow. Of course it is ~.600 or so longer than both :wink:
KimberMike

Post by KimberMike »

I am also interested in the file. PM Sent.

Also, a few more pictures would be greatly appreciated if you have them available. Thanks for your generosity.

Regards,
Mike
cpy911
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cpy911 »

Would like to see a picture of the other end (bullet exit). Also, is this thrown in to a tube with end caps?
cpy911
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cpy911 »

cpy911 wrote:Would like to see a picture of the other end (bullet exit). Also, is this thrown in to a tube with end caps?
Well, I used the DXF file that 57Fairlane sent over and came up with this concept:
Tube: 6061 Aluminum, 1" OD and
.903" ID, wall thickness of .049" (I hope that is thick enough!)
Core: Stainless steel of some flavor
Locking Cap: Stainless of some flavor
Overall length about 5.8"
Overall weight, guesstimate 5-7 oz.

I don't know if I did the blast zone right, as it looks too close to the bullet entry and I made some assumptions. But it is right off of the DXF file. I need more pictures of the actual! This looks like it could be a great core.

Would this really be a little quieter than the Sparrow?

I plan on putting O-rings in to help protect the threads (I guess that is what O-rings are for?) I am worried about getting this apart too! Thoughts?

As I get closer to finishing, I am glad to share DXF or CAD models.

Thanks!
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

First time logging in for over a year. I work with 57fairlane and can say that this core is indeed quiet.

It outperforms both the Element and the Sparrow. First round is around 120 dB and not objectionable at all. It is longer than both, but not by much. Still under 6".

There is over a years worth of R&D in this (stillborn) project. All of the little squiggles in the baffles are there for a reason. At first I was skeptical of his methodology. Not any more. His final core is state of the art in mono-core tech. Extremely pleasing to the ear.
clark4283

Post by clark4283 »

I would like a copy of the files. Please pm me.
Bluedog

Post by Bluedog »

PM sent.
Thanks
cpy911
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cpy911 »

I have not heard a lot from 57fairlane recently.

I am reposting the original DXF file of the Monocore he sent me. (57fairlane, let me know if this is an issue and I will pull it.)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65994351/57fair ... Design.zip
or
http://www.freefilehosting.net/57fairlanemonocoredesign

I am working on my own suppressor using the geometry from this design and have a rough 3D model of it. I posted a screen shot of the design earlier in the thread.
If someone is interested in the assembly I can post it in STEP format. I am not done with it yet, but am willing to share my WIP if there is interest.
I will post the final 3D models after I get the suppressor built.
Last edited by cpy911 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
cpy911
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cpy911 »

HandyMan wrote:First time logging in for over a year. I work with 57fairlane and can say that this core is indeed quiet.

It outperforms both the Element and the Sparrow. First round is around 120 dB and not objectionable at all. It is longer than both, but not by much. Still under 6".

There is over a years worth of R&D in this (stillborn) project. All of the little squiggles in the baffles are there for a reason. At first I was skeptical of his methodology. Not any more. His final core is state of the art in mono-core tech. Extremely pleasing to the ear.
Good to hear that this design shows promise. Will let you guys know once I get mine built that will be based on this design!
Thanks for the update. Wish we could see more pictures of it!!
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

cpy911 wrote:
HandyMan wrote:First time logging in for over a year. I work with 57fairlane and can say that this core is indeed quiet.

Good to hear that this design shows promise. Will let you guys know once I get mine built that will be based on this design!
Thanks for the update. Wish we could see more pictures of it!!
I will tell him to log in and see this thread after Christmas break. He still has the core stashed somewhere.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Thanks for hosting it! To everyone that wrote me a PM, sorry I havent gotten back with you guys in any timely manner. Everytime someone posted in this thread I would get 2-3 more messages and I haven't checked this forum since Nov. Driving back home from seeing my wife's family for Christmas so I will try and write everyone back when i get home
Last edited by 57fairlane on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
notdylan

Post by notdylan »

This looks fantastic, thanks a ton 57fairlane for making this available. cpy911, I'm really looking forward to that assembly file and I thank you as well for taking the time to design the rest of the unit. I've got the know-how and equipment available to machine the entire piece but not enough intimate knowledge about how suppressors fit together to engineer the caps. Thanks guys!
cpy911
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cpy911 »

Right on notdylan.

Sending off for stamp this week. Hope to complete the design soon and start the machining process whenever the stamp arrives.

I will assemble and test and then post the CAD files. If I get around to making 2D drawings I will post those too.

Thanks!
notdylan wrote:This looks fantastic, thanks a ton 57fairlane for making this available. cpy911, I'm really looking forward to that assembly file and I thank you as well for taking the time to design the rest of the unit. I've got the know-how and equipment available to machine the entire piece but not enough intimate knowledge about how suppressors fit together to engineer the caps. Thanks guys!
cpy911
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cpy911 »

Hi folks. I am abandoning this project and jumping over to K-baffle design. The reason is the guy helping me and letting me use his CNC machines and making one of his own wants to do .17hmr and .22magnum, so I am designing a beefy silencer. It will weigh about 8 oz, and have SS baffles with a Ti tube. I am trying to squeeze another ounce out of it somehow...

I don't think this monocore design would handle .17hmr and .22magnum so well.