Extra K or small blast chamber?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rqlasl
Silent But Deadly

Extra K or small blast chamber?

Post by rqlasl »

I'm almost ready to finish my tube form my latest can and I have a question for the masses.
As of right now I can fit 7 K's in with a .375 long ss spacer as the blast chamber.
Should I eliminate the spacer, shorten the K's and squeeze in another K?
It's a .45 can.

Thanks, R.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Extra K or small blast chamber?

Post by Bendersquint »

rqlasl wrote:I'm almost ready to finish my tube form my latest can and I have a question for the masses.
As of right now I can fit 7 K's in with a .375 long ss spacer as the blast chamber.
Should I eliminate the spacer, shorten the K's and squeeze in another K?
It's a .45 can.

Thanks, R.
Whats the diameter of the can?

Whats the length of the can?

We need more than 1 measurement to be able to give any insight.
rqlasl
Silent But Deadly

Post by rqlasl »

Id of the can is 1.345.
Can lenght is 9 inches.
Booster lenght from "front" to the shoulder that meets the tube is 1.634. Overall booster lenght is 2.072 incuding piston.
Eack K is .945 long.
Tube lenght to have a overall of 9 inches once the booster and end cap are installed will be 8.250 +- some. I havent taken more accurate measurements on that yet.

So the differnce between a k and the spacer is .570 If I divide that by 8 baffles. I would need to skim off .071 from the skirt/cone of each baffle to get
8 to fit where 7 do now with a .375 spacer.

So which would perform better?

Thanks, R.
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

Personally I would think you would need the expansion, and with 7 baffles already.....but, I have zero experience with that baffle design and do not have the knowledge about what they need and don't need.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
Scared_of_zombies
Silent But Deadly

Post by Scared_of_zombies »

Is your piston ported or unported?
rqlasl
Silent But Deadly

Post by rqlasl »

Piston and the booster assembly are both ported.
DaveSB

Post by DaveSB »

I would really love to see pics of your progress. A .45 can is in my thoughts for a future form 1.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

You're gong to need an expansion chamber (size??).
The .45 is a big hole and I don't think sticking the extra K in there is going to help
the way you think unless you were building an integral carbine setup with more length.
I think gong the other way ....
Bigger expansion chamber and six K's with proper skirts/cones might be better. :?
rqlasl
Silent But Deadly

Post by rqlasl »

@Twodollarbill Thanks, with the 3/8 spacer and the extra volume in and around the booster I think it should be a acceptable blast chamber with 7 baffles, plus the work I have put into the baffles so far might go to scrap if I take to much off so I'm playing it safe.

@DaveSB After Its complete I plan on doing a youtube video with detailed explainations for all 3 of my form 1's that I have built with the advice and help from numerous members of this forum.
Hoop
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hoop »

Size the blast chamber properly to suit the best sound/ back pressure. If you are trying to meet the length without shortening the suppressor, add the extra length on the opposite end with a spacer or odd length baffle.
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms."

www.hooperordnance.com