Finished 223 build.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Finished 223 build.

Post by Shift1 »

Finished 223 build. Have several pics to post...need to sort them. Need to take a few more for completed pics. Hopefully will get some vid soon. will post more later
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Re: Finished 223 build.

Post by delta9mda »

do not tease us this way. pics or it didnt happen
NP
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

:lol: :wink:
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Its about time :lol: Don't keep the animals waiting for pic's you know how they get.
I know he has spent much time in developing a "sound Product" research pays off my hat is off to you and your build.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

Shift1 wrote:Finished 223 build. Have several pics to post...need to sort them. Need to take a few more for completed pics. Hopefully will get some vid soon. will post more later

Don't tease us - Not Funny! :lol:
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

Took pics in process of machining. These are the inprocess pics of components. Not all attributes have been added

Diverter cone and blast baffle

QD module and front cap

Front Cap

Cones

Completed project

Will take pics of "as installed" pieces when I get back from range to show modifications to components
Internal Components are 316L Stainless. Tube, cap, module body and module end cap are 4130 Alloy steel. Oal is 8 7/8 inches, 1 1/2 dia has a couple of spacers that are not shown. Diverter cone has been modded to allow passage of gas into coaxial space, blast baffle has two opposing dimples at bore line to encourage cross flow at bore, cones have been clipped and ported.

I know some will suggest that the oal is way too long and that it could have been done in a shorter tube. This is true...but please remember that the QD module is two inches long and the flash hider and all is contained within the tube. If this were a direct mount it would be about 6 1/2 inches long
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Looks good, any other pics of the "QD module"?
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

Bendersquint wrote:Looks good, any other pics of the "QD module"?
Not at this time...Consists of four parts... body,end, sleeve that fits over flashhider, and a spring. Ultimately I need to put a heavier spring in place. The one intstalled is SS 30lb rate 1.250dia X 1.250 tall with ground ends. I will be ordering heavier units very soon. These springs should work well for a lid project, I have several extra if anyone needs one....shoot me a PM
"LP"
Wallygator

Post by Wallygator »

Looks Great!!

Please tell what you coated/painted it with?
I'm the quiet neighbor!
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

Wallygator wrote:Looks Great!!

not painted...is blued.....just like any other cm steel firearm. Kinda like the scaley look...
"LP"
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

Nice work
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Shift1 wrote:

not painted...is blued.....just like any other cm steel firearm. Kinda like the scaley look...
That finish looks great, what is the diamon/mesh type pattern
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

That is a cool idea doing the polished/matte combination finish prior to bluing......looks sharp.
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

Nice......Very Nice!!!! 8)
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

Enfield577 wrote:
Shift1 wrote:

That finish looks great, what is the diamon/mesh type pattern
Looks like it was polished up and then wrapped in a piece of expanded metal and beadblasted.

Just a guess, though.

Sharp project....looks great!

Any particular reason you went with 4130 instead of SS? I know stainless is greatly beloved around here; I'm actually looking at 4130 for an entire build.

Thoughts?
Byrdman
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

CThomas wrote:Nice work
Currently working on .308 project...have tube cap and module pretty much done but finalizing the core. I have a core on paper, but have some modifications in my brain that need to be sorted out. Could post pics but we have all seen a tube and caps...kinda ho-hum for posting. Hoping to go to range soon to take some vid (for what it is worth with camera mic issues) soon. Will post that when available
"LP"
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

[/quote]Any particular reason you went with 4130 instead of SS? I know stainless is greatly beloved around here; I'm actually looking at 4130 for an entire build.

Thoughts?
Byrdman[/quote][/quote]
Went with 4130 because it can easily be finished in this fashion...Most 4 series stainless barrel steel can be blued but usually only in a matte finish. Most of the supressor tubes I have seen are 3 series. I cannot say that I have tried 3 series materials in the tank. Stainless itself is kinda a pain to blue...if nothing else it requires more work to get the job done, and can be quite frustrating. I have built one all 4130 but I recommend using stainless for internals for the corrosion/erosion resistance. Just an opinion. 4130 also tends to weigh a bit more by comparison
"LP"
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

Posting compulsory proof of function vid

Click on pic
Same 'ol camera quality vid....
"LP"
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

nice! 8)
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

I believe there to be some bounce from the hillside...did not think too much about the location when I set it up. Was 0715 and about 40d F, about 5500' Camera is about 10 feet to 10 oclock. Was tryinig to get away from the port noise but was not thinking about the echo from the berm 30 feet away, Silly me.....
"LP"
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Exemplary work!

I am particularly intrigued by the quality of your cones.
The Diverter Cone and Blast Baffle particularly resonate
with their sculptured artistry. Pleasure to view.

Might you sketch the steps on set up?

E.g. hollow out center; 60 degree bore out;
push stock forward; cut 60 degree outside, etc.

Tooling. Never know when a novel technique is learned.

Happily being redundant: beautiful result and nice video.

Best.
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

Can you share more about your QD mount, not looking for secret squirrel stuff as I know you said you were not ready to post pictures. Now I watched your movements during the vid and played it in SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW motion and hit pause, so am I correct in thinking that it is similar to the GemTech Bi-lock system or is it a tri-lock.

Nice work and liking the deeply recessed front cap.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

very well done sir
NP
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

CThomas wrote:Can you share more about your QD mount, not looking for secret squirrel stuff as I know you said you were not ready to post pictures. Now I watched your movements during the vid and played it in SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW motion and hit pause, so am I correct in thinking that it is similar to the GemTech Bi-lock system or is it a tri-lock.

Nice work and liking the deeply recessed front cap.
Made cap deep with the thought of coaxing exit sound to forward direction to shooter...probably needs to be much deeper to have any real effect. Does look appealing though. I am using a Gemtech flashider on the clone so the Module could be similar. To be honest I do not know how their system is designed in function or theory. I will have to do that research...
"LP"
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

Historian wrote:Exemplary work!

I am particularly intrigued by the quality of your cones.
The Diverter Cone and Blast Baffle particularly resonate
with their sculptured artistry. Pleasure to view.

Might you sketch the steps on set up?

E.g. hollow out center; 60 degree bore out;
push stock forward; cut 60 degree outside, etc.

Tooling. Never know when a novel technique is learned.

Happily being redundant: beautiful result and nice video.

Best.
I shall endevour to do that....no secrets . 95% of the work on this project was done on an Atlas lathe QC54 made in about 1957-8 based on serial number. I perefer using a four jaw chuck for indexing ability. The other 5% was done on a larger lathe and a Bridgeport milling machine at the 'smithing shop I moonlight at. I will post the "tutorial" later in the thread
"LP"