Having cans or parts of engraved.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Cheyene

Having cans or parts of engraved.

Post by Cheyene »

Someone set me straight please. When I get my cans built before I fill out my form 2, I need to have them engraved. Being at this time I do not have engraving equipment someone else needs to do it. If I am correct they are going to have to be a manufacturer to even engrave, even the tubes only . If someone like maybe a House of Awards or some such would do this, could I be there with them if they do it while I wait and be legal? Could I take a 6 foot tube off of the rack and have it engraved every 8 inches or so with the information and cut later? At what point does a piece of tube become a silencer part, at the time it is taken from the rack, or after the first machining process is started? Thanks in advance! DAE
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Re: Having cans or parts of engraved.

Post by twodollarbill »

Not sure how it works for manufacturers, but for individuals
any work on the tubes ends prior to approval would be a violation.
Commercial engravers who do NFA engraving require that tubes be sent to them with the ends non-machined.
Your "tubes" would become silencers as soon as you thread the ends or machine
the ends to accept an end-cap in anyway.
Once you get your approved BATF forms "in hand" you can then start machining the ends of the tube
and it then becomes a silencer.
As for engraving....engrave all you want on non-machined non-worked tubes.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

I'd polish or bead blast or turn down OD or whatever other operation needs done to the tubing prior to engraving - otherwise you could need engraving again. Don't cut to length (you never know if your plan will change) or thread.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Cheyene wrote:Someone set me straight please. When I get my cans built before I fill out my form 2, I need to have them engraved. Being at this time I do not have engraving equipment someone else needs to do it. If I am correct they are going to have to be a manufacturer to even engrave, even the tubes only . If someone like maybe a House of Awards or some such would do this, could I be there with them if they do it while I wait and be legal? Could I take a 6 foot tube off of the rack and have it engraved every 8 inches or so with the information and cut later? At what point does a piece of tube become a silencer part, at the time it is taken from the rack, or after the first machining process is started? Thanks in advance! DAE
It appears you are a manufacturer.

Please give me a call and I can go over how it is done for manufacturers, we do this all the time.

PM sent.
Cheyene

Post by Cheyene »

Thanks!