3rd party component manufacturing?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Conqueror
Elite Member

3rd party component manufacturing?

Post by Conqueror »

I have some good can designs in my head, but neither the money nor the time to buy machines and make them myself. Is there an ATF ruling about having someone build a baffle stack for you and then assembling the actual can yourself?

Thanks,
CQ
cocoboots
Silent But Deadly

Post by cocoboots »

the only way i think you could get away with it would to have the form 1 under a trust or corp. then have yourself and the other person be agents of the trust/corp.

if the form 1 is under your name and someone else makes a baffle then they are breaking the law because they are making an unauthorized NFA item.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

That's what I figured... a related question: when does a baffle become a baffle? Could I have someone make an entire unitized baffle stack with NO bored hole for the bullet to pass through? Seems like that item would not be a silencer yet since it could not be used by anyone.

CQ
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

an 80% baffle....good question
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.
chevrofreak
Silent But Deadly

Post by chevrofreak »

If you were there while the component was being made, wouldn't that make it a non-issue?
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

If the answer is "an incomplete baffle is not a baffle" then someone could probably make a tidy profit selling 80-90% complete baffles or baffle stacks... since they'd just be paperweights, there would be no transfer fee and no SOT needed.

CQ
cocoboots
Silent But Deadly

Post by cocoboots »

you could make an entire suppressor without finishing the baffle and then let the end consumer get their form 1 and finish the baffle themselves.
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

RS or someone will chime in, but IIRC there is something prohibiting "silencer kits"....I think Sionics or Cobray or someone got cracked years ago for that....
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

But were their kits complete, ie just needing assembly? Or did they need actual machine work?

CQ
stymie
Silent But Deadly

Post by stymie »

GaLEO wrote:RS or someone will chime in, but IIRC there is something prohibiting "silencer kits"....I think Sionics or Cobray or someone got cracked years ago for that....
Each silencer component is ruled by BATFE to be a silencer in & of itself!

:shock:
"My GOD can kick your god's ass!"
stymie
Silent But Deadly

Post by stymie »

Conqueror wrote:But were their kits complete, ie just needing assembly? Or did they need actual machine work?

CQ
One supplier would advertise windchimes... errr, tubes of various lengths while another would provide baffle stacks. These were usually the same folks under different names. A common practice was to provide the front threaded SIONICS tube of actual length & a rear tube that was just a tad too long for MAC smgs. Since that tube isn't threaded, all someone would need is a pipe cutter. There was a varying & sometimes blatant disregard for the concept of "constructive/intent/possession".
:shock:
"My GOD can kick your god's ass!"
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Ah, but they were selling finished baffles. I just want a machinist to be able to make me an "almost" complete baffle stack, legally - ie not complete enough to be used in a can.

CQ
Pgames

Post by Pgames »

green0
Dunce

Post by green0 »

that's a really interesting question...

Would it then be legal to sell K baffles complete minus a bore hole?

And tubing with threaded endcaps without holes?

It would seem so... there without holes nothing will silence anthing, and even if they wanted to shoot a round in the can without a bore hole, they would have to drill and tap a muzzle thread to permit it...
CritterTim

Post by CritterTim »

On this line of thought, how would someone submit this question to the ATF for qualifacation? I ask because I've got an idea, unrelated to this thread, but dont know who to ask "Is this a machine gun or not?'..

Sorry, i dont mean to hijack this thread.. its my first post and don't know the etiquete.(sp)
dbooksta
Silent Operator

Post by dbooksta »

I have gotten decent responses (i.e., within a week, and citing laws/regs) just emailing them at [email protected]
Mtdew
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mtdew »

How do you plan on finishing a 80% baffle w/o a lathe anyway??

And what about the tube... If it's threaded it's a silencer. If it's not threaded how do you plan to thread it (w/o a lathe)

Then what about the endcaps. They need threaded and bored (again how do you complete w/o a lathe)

Everything needs to be concentric and held to tolerences.. Unless you allready have the equipment to build one from scratch it's going to be hard to make a decent supressor...
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

A unitized baffle stack or individual k-baffles could probably be drilled accurately with a decent drill press and a jig, which is cheap compared to even a chinese mini-lathe. Make the tube non-threaded like on a prodigy and the end user could get away with buying an 80% baffle stack and registering a tube off onlinemetals or something, if they already had a drill press.
Mtdew
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mtdew »

Conqueror wrote:A unitized baffle stack or individual k-baffles could probably be drilled accurately with a decent drill press and a jig, which is cheap compared to even a chinese mini-lathe. Make the tube non-threaded like on a prodigy and the end user could get away with buying an 80% baffle stack and registering a tube off onlinemetals or something, if they already had a drill press.
how are you going to thread the end of the monolithic baffle stack w/o the lathe (barrel end)
chevrofreak
Silent But Deadly

Post by chevrofreak »

Mtdew wrote:
Conqueror wrote:A unitized baffle stack or individual k-baffles could probably be drilled accurately with a decent drill press and a jig, which is cheap compared to even a chinese mini-lathe. Make the tube non-threaded like on a prodigy and the end user could get away with buying an 80% baffle stack and registering a tube off onlinemetals or something, if they already had a drill press.
how are you going to thread the end of the monolithic baffle stack w/o the lathe (barrel end)
Pipe threader :P
Mtdew
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mtdew »

chevrofreak wrote:
Mtdew wrote:
Pipe threader :P
as long as you thread your barrel w/ it as well :shock:

better make the bore dia about 2" and the outside about 8" :twisted:

at least then you won't hit your baffles
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Mtdew wrote:how are you going to thread the end of the monolithic baffle stack w/o the lathe (barrel end)
Who says it couldn't come threaded? Make it a standard thread and hell, you could hold the tube on the stack with a nut from Lowe's.

Threading the barrel can be done by any gunsmith for $50ish.
Mtdew
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mtdew »

It will never fly... why?

because

If you go w/ a monolithic stack you still need to drill the bore. now thats assumong the atf allows everything else to be done(at minium thats one to two sets of internal and external threads. Plus all the cuts to create the sloped walls) *i doubt that ATF would let it even be completed that far*

Now here's the problem

Try to drill the bore through all the openings created by the various baffle cuts the entire length of the stack WITHOUT the bit walking off center.

hope you have someone w/ a EDM close

The K baffle idea will not work for other reasons.

At minium the tube needs threaded and both endcaps need threaded. (instant silencer in atf's eyes)
dbooksta
Silent Operator

Post by dbooksta »

Can you clarify why a threaded hollow tube is a silencer component? There are fake suppressors and other threaded muzzle accessories that fit this description that are sold as non-NFA devices.
Mtdew
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mtdew »

dbooksta wrote:Can you clarify why a threaded hollow tube is a silencer component? There are fake suppressors and other threaded muzzle accessories that fit this description that are sold as non-NFA devices.
Because w/ the endcaps it IS a silencer. It will drop the DB level even w/o any baffles... a empty tube is actually quite effective on a 22RF

The fake silencers have a small bore and only one threaded end... they are not a silencer tube