Custom WSSM PMAGS

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: NickB

c_bass16
Silent But Deadly

Custom WSSM PMAGS

Post by c_bass16 »

I did all the mods the exact same as you would do on a regular mag. Except i did it with hand tools instead of power tools. The Polymer material is obviously very strong in terms of keeping the mag from breaking...but its also rather soft if you compare it to the steel or aluminum mags as far as being able to bend the material and have play.

I used a dremel tool to make the lips 1/2" wide on the first mag but the use of a hand power tool was way to much power and next thing i know..the hole was TOO big. Whoops. So I just rouged up the edge that I made to large and put a strip of epoxy on it...TA DA! problem solved. (for now) It isn't as pretty, but it functions as a hunting mag.

The second mag...I just used a set of Exacto Knives. (small hand razor blade set for crafts) and slowly took out the correct amount of materail. ended up being about 7/16ths instead of 1/2" for the opening because the mag spring is powerful enough to FORCE two rounds out of a 1/2" gap since the polymer has the ability to flex and spread and the Steel mags wont. I also made the opening slightly larger at the front toward the chamber as to make the tip of the bullet ride just a smidge higher to keep the tips from being dinged up. The followers were an easy fix...just like any other self leveling followers I have modified, except that I made the back just a smidge deeper so they sit at a slight angle with the tips up too. This also made them able to fit 11 with the dust cover.

as for the mag catch hole...same thing. used my knife, made the hole slightly larger at the top, and then a flat blade to remove and smooth the opening out.

I MAY use some epoxy or bondo to fill in the bottom of the mag catch hole so that it doesnt have the ability to slide up in the well causing bolt issues...but since i shoot from a 3 point platform anyway...my mags never have the weight of the gun on them.

here are the pix. sorry i should have taken pix during the process to show ya guys...next time i will, since i am planning to make a couple 20 rd mags as well.

BTW. 30rd mags will hold 11 if you make the follower just a bit deeper, that way the dust cover will snap back on. If you dont modify the follower deep enough...the dust cover will not fit right with 11 rds. Of course...10 is a nice number too.

I love the PMAGS and hate to disfigure them...but if Magpul ain't making em..I might as well myself :D

Hurdle the dead, Trample the weak, and let the good times roll.
Black
Silent But Deadly

Post by Black »

Looks good, man! Great work!
"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire

[url=http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj315/Montaska/Firearms/]My Photobucket[/url]
Ryo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ryo »

WTF (my first reaction on the first picture)..
Scrolled down..
Wow.. (2nd Reaction)

How did it work out?
c_bass16
Silent But Deadly

Post by c_bass16 »

so so so smooth. I got 1 mag with my upper when it came from AccuracySystems last fall, and honestly, i have had nothing but feed problems with it. lots of my 75gr VMAX tips get smashed all to hell when then miss the ramps and hit the flat part...having the lips a bit wider at the front and the follower a bit deeper at the back fixed the issue and they is NICE!.
Cant wait to do a couple 20rder's. I am going to put a small "plug" under the spring so they will hold 5 and be SD Hunting Legal. I know it isnt a legal fix for states like Cali, but around here i assume it is just like having a shot gun plug. you can use a 10rd tube for pheasants but need a plug for waterfoul. You could use a 150rd drum for coyotes but better have something that just holds 5 for big game
TigWiz
Silent But Deadly

Post by TigWiz »

What Caliber is that WSSM round? and who makes the rifle? I really like the idea of having a standard looking AR that can really reach out to far distances
c_bass16
Silent But Deadly

Post by c_bass16 »

mine is a .243WSSM. AccuracySystems.com out of Colorado made the upper it is a 24" Match thats .920" at the muzzle, .936" at the gas block and a bit over 1" under the forend....I built the lower with a DPMS reciever and kit, CAA SRS Stock, ERGO Tactical Deluxe Sure Grip and Bill Springfield Custom 3lb Trigger.

All three of these places can get you TOP NOTCH WSSM AR's
AccuracySystems.com, most have 1/2" MOA guarantee with match ammo http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/ar15_conversion.php

Dtech at http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/ does SUPURB work with even larger big bore WSSMs like the 7mm WSSM, 300 WSSM, .338 WSSM and .358 WSSM

and Olympic Arms makes factory .223WSSM, .243WSSM, and .25WSSM but will be releasing their .300OSSM in the VERY neer future. (pronounced AWESOME, and stands for Olympic Super Short Magnum)
http://www.olyarms.com

check out either WSSMZone.com or OA2.org for more info...I am looking to get either a 7mmWSSM or .300OSSM next.

THE ONLY ISSUE I have come across is when you get the larger bullets...you have problems with seating the bullet to the correct depth because the mag restricts your OAL to 2.26. I was trying to use VDL's and they flat out suck and will likely never work in a WSSM AR, simply because you gotta have them so darn long that they wont fit.

not sure how much you know about ballistics and reloading, but here is some teaser info about the .300OSSM. 3000fps with a 150gr bullet coming out of an AR 15 package. Sounds purdy groovy to me.

110 grain Hornady V-Max
Powder 50 gr. H735
Ave. pressure, 60,300 psi
Ave Muzzle Velocity 3480 fps

115 grain (solid brass with plastic tip: Barnes?, not sure, details not provided)
Powder 48 gr. H735
Ave. PSI 55,700
Ave Muzzle velocity 3358 fps

150 gr. (bullet unkown at this point)
Powder IMR8208XBR (new powder)
Powder charge (varied from 45-51 gr.)
Ave. PSI 56,6000
Ave. Muzzle Velocity 3043 fps

I do not know how many of you have reloading manuals handy, but those are very impressive ballistics. Olympic had been hoping to do slightly better than the 308 NATO, and in the process have developed a caliber that can fit and feed through an AR15 that bests a .30-06!!

The 7th Edition of the Hornadt reloading manual only 6 of the 14 loads could even reach 3,000 fps with the 150 grain bullet and all were MAX loads. The 300 OSM goes faster than 3000 with a great 150 grain bullet with no more pressure than a 5.56 and an action that is three times stronger!
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

Just out of curiosity, what's predicted barrel life of the 243 WSSM?
mac man
Elite Member

Post by mac man »

Nice work and damn good lookin' rifle!
c_bass16
Silent But Deadly

Post by c_bass16 »

JohnnyC wrote:Just out of curiosity, what's predicted barrel life of the 243 WSSM?
i'd say it depends how hot you wanna run em. It is my first AR but I asked the same thing when I first got it and this is what i was told.

Keep your FPS around 3000 and you should be as good as with any other cartridge. (i shoot 75's at about 3150-3200) Trying to shoot 105's at 2900 but havent chrono'd yet.

Mine from AccuracySystems got threaded this summer and the guy that did it said he had never threaded a barrel as hard as mine in his life (he is 60 or so) I dont know how much "hardness" accounts for life expectancy, but get a quality barrel and I doubt you will have issues. Email one of those two places that makes custom uppers...the could give you a better guess. None of the WSSM owners I have talked to have shot the barrel out yet.