No AFG announcement here?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: NickB

st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

Same here, I about wet myself. I never get anything free.
TigWiz
Silent But Deadly

Post by TigWiz »

Still haven't received a shipping notice. I'm assuming you received them via email?
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Yepper, an email from Magpul with FedEx tracking info inside.
The Good Doctor
Silent But Deadly

Post by The Good Doctor »

I say go buy one here if you don't have one: http://westernsportonline.com/index.php ... cts_id=168

or here: http://www.dsgarms.com/index.cfm/produc ... -black.cfm (this is where I ordered 2)
FFL/SOT
Metal Gear
[email protected]
www.metalgearllc.com
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Got my notice, to wrong address. (Not magpul's fault)

Looks like I will be waiting longer to T&E. Post pics
wragarand
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wragarand »

TigWiz wrote:Still haven't received a shipping notice. I'm assuming you received them via email?
Apparently they started at #10, I guess being #1 on the list (and the thread starter I might add) means I get shipped last. I have not received a shipping email either. WTF?
TigWiz
Silent But Deadly

Post by TigWiz »

lets stay positive and say that they're going to show up tomorrow regardless if we receive an email or not. Early Christmas!
Cj Two A
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cj Two A »

got my email, the tracking number shows it's going to be here today. I just watched a fedex truck pull down my street, turn around in my driveway, and leave. No Package. I hate fedex soo much. They always lose my stuff. >_<
wragarand
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wragarand »

Cj Two A wrote:got my email, the tracking number shows it's going to be here today. I just watched a fedex truck pull down my street, turn around in my driveway, and leave. No Package. I hate fedex soo much. They always lose my stuff. >_<
I still have not received an email. :evil:
TigWiz
Silent But Deadly

Post by TigWiz »

ITS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!! Pics will be up soon :twisted:
Black
Silent But Deadly

Post by Black »

Mine should be here by 4:30PM today, but I'm going to put it under the tree - the more presents, the merrier! lol
"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire

[url=http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj315/Montaska/Firearms/]My Photobucket[/url]
wragarand
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wragarand »

TigWiz wrote:ITS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!! Pics will be up soon :twisted:
seriously? WTF? :cry:
TigWiz
Silent But Deadly

Post by TigWiz »

Started new thread
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Twinsen wrote:Estimated delivery

Dec 23, 2009 by 4:30 PM
I should have known it wouldn't arrive. FedEx has NEVER delivered anything before 7pm. Whatever, tomorrow.
Black
Silent But Deadly

Post by Black »

Picked mine up from the post office, and it's under the tree! Of course, my family's custom is to open one present on Christmas Eve... MWHAHAHAHA!!!!
"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire

[url=http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj315/Montaska/Firearms/]My Photobucket[/url]
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

It's a lot beefier than I had expected. When used as directed, it is comfortable. My wrist isn't bent, my fingers aren't tense. The three nubs, one at the front, one on the bottom, and one between middle and forefinger work well to index your hand in a repeatable manner. That's important to me, as I am inexperienced. The rearmost nub is where I index my pinky so as to position the rest of my hand repeatedly. The front nub is an integral handstop, sufficiently large enough for such use (SBR ready!). You can replace the middle nub with a ribbed panel, but I never will as it is well positioned for me to lay my middle finger against. The front half of the AFG has protective wings which extend to cover the rail and I believe are there to serve two functions. One would be to keep your fingers or gloves from getting pinched by the rail. The other reason I see is to house the thumb rests that need to sit higher than the rail so as to keep your wrist in the correct position. Using the left side thumb rest in conjunction with the other three nubs on the underside of the AFG, I can get a pretty repeatable grip on it.

The underside of the AFG is ribbed everywhere that your fingers are meant to be positioned. I do not wear gloves to shoot often, but it works with and without gloves to my satisfaction. The AFG is fully ambidextrous as everything other than the bolts and markings are symmetrical.

I received the black AFG, which is completely blackened. All nuts and bolts and pieces are matte black. Pre-production pictures showed shiny unfinished bolts, and this is not the case with the unit I have here. It has two hex bolts used to change out the nub/ribbed panel and one rail engaging bolt near the center of the unit, directly above the replaceable panel.

It is almost impossible to hold in a manner like a pistol, and you can only get any purchase with your thumb and forefinger, and only those two if you try hard. But that's a stretch. You reaaallly have to try hard to do so, and you hand just slips off after a couple seconds. Maneuvering a gun while trying to hold it like a pistol grip is impossible. I cannot engage the webbing of my thumb, I can only squeeze the back of the unit between my thumb and forefinger. It is very uncomfortable to do so. I feel that a KAC handstop is a better "pistol grip" than the AFG, even though both fail heavily in trying to be that. Actually, now that I think about it, the hand stop at the front of the AFG is more of a pistol grip than the rear.

I wonder if there is a definition of what a pistol grip is somewhere in CT law. I know there was in CA law, and I seem to remember it having something to do with the webbing of one's thumb.

The hole in the unit cannot be used in any manner. I can get my pinky finger into it, but not in any manner that would also allow me to grip the gun. I cannot fit any of my other fingers into it, not even the first pad of my thumb. The hole shouldn't have anything to do with it possibly being considered an evil feature of some sort. The AFG comes apart in halves longitudinally, so filling that hole would be very easy for an end user if ever a law required doing so.

In closing, I really like the integrated hand stop. That saves me money and having to find a hand stop that would work with the AFG. And just for the heck of it, I just gave the AFG a good try in the usual manner that I test out something that I trust to be certified badass. I tried to break it. I failed. Good stuff! I'm sure I could do it with a sledge, but I just used the edge of a table and some elbow grease. Did we even have plastics like this 10 years ago?
JudgeJule
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JudgeJule »

Does anyone have a suggestion how to integrate a surefire scout light with the AFG? I currently have a tango down grip with my surefire scout attached to the rail. I would like to use the AFG, but I dont want to have to give up my light.
Gemtech Blackside, Oasis, Outback II, Raptor; AAC Evo9, Evo9 CQC, Evo45, 762SD, Scarab, Tirant 9; SWR Warlock; AWC Turbodyne, MK9; Silencerco Osprey .45; Soundtech .308 and Fatboy; and John Guns MkIII
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

I have seen pictures of Travis using an AFG with his tape switch at 12 oclock on the rail, activated by his thumb, can be used strong side or reaction side. I tried this myself, but have not achieved anything that is comfortable, hopefully the AFG will change that.
NickB
Elite Industry Professional

Post by NickB »

Glad to see they are arriving. If anyone in the list does not receive theirs, please let me know. I'm on the other side of the planet until after New Years, but I'll try to take care of it ASAP.

Merry Christmas, all.
--Nick
VP of Business Development for SilencerCo
withoutremorse42
Silent But Deadly

Post by withoutremorse42 »

Any work on when a FDE one will be available?
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member11084.png[/img][/url]
jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

I received mine, THanks again.
withoutremorse42 wrote:Any work on when a FDE one will be available?
What he said :)
pro-gun gun owners are a minority.
Fair Use applies (U.S. Code Title 17 Chapter 1 Subsection 107)
Black
Silent But Deadly

Post by Black »

Posted my pic in the Magpul Image Thread. w00t w00t

The Good Doctor
Silent But Deadly

Post by The Good Doctor »

I ordered two on the 22nd and received it today! :D
FFL/SOT
Metal Gear
[email protected]
www.metalgearllc.com
Braidon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Braidon »

The Good Doctor wrote:I ordered two on the 22nd and received it today! :D