AFG a NFA violation on an AR pistol?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: NickB

aml
Elite Member

AFG a NFA violation on an AR pistol?

Post by aml »

Seeing as how one is not able to obtain a "true" pistol grip on an AFG, does anyone know whether or not the installation of an AFG on an AR pistol would be a violation of the NFA?
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Re: AFG a NFA violation on an AR pistol?

Post by BWT »

aml wrote:Seeing as how one is not able to obtain a "true" pistol grip on an AFG, does anyone know whether or not the installation of an AFG on an AR pistol would be a violation of the NFA?
I'd be willing to bet yes. Any kind of grip is probably viewed as such.

Finger stops, no idea.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I'm for sure not doing it. And I think the only way to get a ruling on is to contact the government. But contacting a non-legislative government agency allows them to just make up a new law. I mean it doesn't really, but it does today.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

You should write a letter........
NFAtalk.org
aquajon
Silent But Deadly

Post by aquajon »

ArevaloSOCOM wrote:You should write a letter........
My last letter to ATF asking for clarification on a subject took 12 months to answer and about 2 months after I wrote the letter the local ATF office called me to conduct an inspection on my FFL (03). Wonder if it was related?

Isn't the advantage of the AFG to pull back on the weapon, driving it into your shoulder for quicker follow on shots? For a weapon that isn't shoulder fired (pistol AR) what's the point of even using it?
aml
Elite Member

Post by aml »

Cuz its cool 8)
VanKamp
Silent But Deadly

Post by VanKamp »

Isn't the advantage of the AFG to pull back on the weapon, driving it into your shoulder for quicker follow on shots? For a weapon that isn't shoulder fired (pistol AR) what's the point of even using it?
Consistant natural support hand indexing and acts as a safety stop keeping you from getting the Jesus hand. At least that'd be my reason although i don't particularly care for anything on an AR pistol.
aml
Elite Member

Post by aml »

I searched thru the Internet looking for an answer, and found a similar thread at another forum. I read thru the NFA handbook looking for a specific definition of a vertical foregrip, which would make this firearm an AOW. Over 200 pages, but not a single definition. I don't want to call undue attention to the topic by writing a letter to some pencil neck in WV and then wait for a canned response, so I am using a back channel.....will post any response or info I receive.
st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

You mean you don't dual wield your AR pistols? :?
aml
Elite Member

Post by aml »

LOL Akimbo style all the way...Got a reply from my back channel. Said from the enforcement side, the use of this on a pistol would more than likely be treading in AOW territory. Damn. It could have been so cool. Oh well. Maybe I will just have to buy another rifle to put it on......I suppose every cloud does have a silver lining after all :wink:
LonghunterCO
Silent But Deadly

Post by LonghunterCO »

I saw on another board that Magpul has contacted the ATF and asked. I have not seen any responce posted back on their reply.
Ryo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ryo »

I forget if it was Chris or Travis who posted in ARFCOM Magpul forum that they have contacted the ATF about it and trying to determine what they say.. Hope it goes in our favor, but not holding my breath over it.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I really cannot see any government agency turning down any opportunity to gain leverage over people. If it isn't considered a vertical grip... I will... well I don't know. Maybe be a little bit less cynical about our government.

Within a week of it not being considered a vertical grip, I'll look a cop in the eyes and say, "Hello."
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

I've seen letters talking about a "Vertical front grip" ..... but they never address a horizontal grip. I wonder what they would say to a grip mounted sideways off a 4-rail free float forearm (like a Sten magazine)

No - I don't really wonder .... I'm pretty sure I know what they would say :roll:
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

In Connecticut AWB, it says "A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon". Some have taken that to mean that a forward grip doesn't even count. I mean, that's what it says and what they meant, but who knows what they'll stretch it to to unjustly imprison an innocent person? They can just tear a massive lie out of their ass and say "conspicuously beneath the action" actually means "to the side of the barrel". Or they'll hold the gun pointing down and say LOOK IT'S BENEATH THE ACTION!

I'm pretty sure if they like your gun, it's theirs. I'm going to score a pre-ban lower so I don't have to worry as much with my AR. I already scored a preban 10/22 out in indiana.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

st33ve0 wrote:You mean you don't dual wield your AR pistols? :?
Classic :)
Ryo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ryo »

Wonder what they think of a finger stop then.. ie KAC's finger stop.
ROFuher
Silent But Deadly

Post by ROFuher »

The fore grip of the SP-89 has a finger stop. KAC's shouldn't be a problem.
continuity-TROOPER, 2016
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

(29) The term ``handgun'' means--
(A) a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held
and fired by the use of a single hand
; and
(B) any combination of parts from which a firearm described in
subparagraph (A) can be assembled.

Adding a second grip makes it designed to be fired with two hands, and thus no longer a handgun.

I think ATF has been very generous in that regard, but there is only so far they will go.
csfirearms
Silent But Deadly

Post by csfirearms »

renegade wrote: (29) The term ``handgun'' means--
; and

Adding a second grip makes it designed to be fired with two hands, and thus no longer a handgun.

I think ATF has been very generous in that regard, but there is only so far they will go.
By that definition when I use two hands when I shoot I'm breaking the law even if I don't have a forward handgrip.

CSF
I MAY DIE IN A DITCH, BUT I WILL BE LYING IN A BED OF BRASS!
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

csfirearms wrote:
renegade wrote: (29) The term ``handgun'' means--
; and

By that definition when I use two hands when I shoot I'm breaking the law even if I don't have a forward handgrip.

CSF
What handgun are you using that is DESIGNED for your other hand? All the handguns I have are DESIGNED for one hand only. The fact you can use two hands does not mean it was DESIGNED for it.
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

Epic fail.

He should fill out a Form 1 and put a stock on that short-barrelled rifle-caliber firearm. :twisted:
Stickman
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stickman »

VanKamp wrote:
Consistant natural support hand indexing and acts as a safety stop keeping you from getting the Jesus hand. At least that'd be my reason although i don't particularly care for anything on an AR pistol.

Forward Carry Handle? :D
Stick

I've done work photography work with 45 or so manufacturers within the firearm community, my images have been used for catalogs, magazines, covers, etc. I have also shot work for the US Military. I am prior service and a full time LEO.

I now also shoot and write for Military Times. My primary focus will stay with weapons, accessories and related equipment reviews. Manufacturers can reach me through any of the boards. Have something new? Let me know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stickgunner
oldskool65
Senior Silent Operator

Post by oldskool65 »

Nice stick
good one 8)
aml
Elite Member

Post by aml »

eric10mm wrote:
Epic fail.

He should fill out a Form 1 and put a stock on that short-barrelled rifle-caliber firearm. :twisted:
Would love to. Live in Kali. The fact that I work for an agency that is willing to provide letterhead for "assault weapons" is more than I can ask for. No way of getting anything else...