Anybody try PlastiDip on MIAD / MOE grips for an "overmold"?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: NickB

GonePostal
Silent But Deadly

Anybody try PlastiDip on MIAD / MOE grips for an "overmold"?

Post by GonePostal »

http://www.plastidip.com/

Been thinking this *might* work since it doesn't appear we'll be getting the product anytime soon.

Having used the PlastiDip products, I've found them to be especially versatile in applications and now perhaps the spray on grip product might work as well. It's clear so it'd be preferable to having to go with straight black dip.

Thoughts?
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anybody try PlastiDip on MIAD / MOE grips for an "overmo

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

I've recently used black PlastiDip on the bottoms of my converted (for a 9mm AR) UZI mags. It makes them a bit nicer on my palm when I slap them into place. It took several coats (4-5). The next day, I peeled one off just to be sure that it was easily reversible and that it didn't run up the mag-well. It didn't appear to pass the floor plate. I plan on doing the rest this way too.

I'm thinking about Doing this to my Tango-down stubby VFG too. I like the texture of the stuff and use it on pliers and tools. I've thought about adding sand to it for a more abrasive texture though.

I tried the spray on, and to me, it's not as good as the dip. Besides, the spray gets very messy.

Once you crack the lid on a can, plan to use it all within a month or two. The snap on lid doesn't form the best seal.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
tuckerrnr1
Silent But Deadly

Post by tuckerrnr1 »

Have you thought about a can of spray on truck bed liner, should give you the texture you want.
[img]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m264/19283938/kookaid.gif[/img]
GonePostal
Silent But Deadly

Post by GonePostal »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:I've recently used black PlastiDip on the bottoms of my converted (for a 9mm AR) UZI mags. It makes them a bit nicer on my palm when I slap them into place. It took several coats (4-5). The next day, I peeled one off just to be sure that it was easily reversible and that it didn't run up the mag-well. It didn't appear to pass the floor plate. I plan on doing the rest this way too.

I'm thinking about Doing this to my Tango-down stubby VFG too. I like the texture of the stuff and use it on pliers and tools. I've thought about adding sand to it for a more abrasive texture though.

I tried the spray on, and to me, it's not as good as the dip. Besides, the spray gets very messy.

Once you crack the lid on a can, plan to use it all within a month or two. The snap on lid doesn't form the best seal.

I did this today to a plain Jane black MOE grip. Dipped once and allowed to dry 30 minutes. Sprinkled fine dry sand from a plastic cup with small holes in the bottom like a salt shaker. Dipped a second time and allowed to cure. Rotated the grip to prevent drips and runs.

Damn thing looks and feels fantastic.

Magpul is truly missing the boat on the overmolded MOE+ as it would no doubt prevent lost sales to Ergo, Tangodown or others that have rubber like grips.

In the mean time I'm going to do several other grips and vertical foregrips as well since it came out so well.

Wish the PlastiDip was available in FDE though :D
pittbull
Silent Operator

Post by pittbull »

GP,
can you please post some pics?
TIA
E=mc^2+/-3db
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

GonePostal wrote:
Libertarian_Geek wrote:I've recently used black PlastiDip on the bottoms of my converted (for a 9mm AR) UZI mags. It makes them a bit nicer on my palm when I slap them into place. It took several coats (4-5). The next day, I peeled one off just to be sure that it was easily reversible and that it didn't run up the mag-well. It didn't appear to pass the floor plate. I plan on doing the rest this way too.

I did this today to a plain Jane black MOE grip. Dipped once and allowed to dry 30 minutes. Sprinkled fine dry sand from a plastic cup with small holes in the bottom like a salt shaker. Dipped a second time and allowed to cure. Rotated the grip to prevent drips and runs.

Damn thing looks and feels fantastic.

Magpul is truly missing the boat on the overmolded MOE+ as it would no doubt prevent lost sales to Ergo, Tangodown or others that have rubber like grips.

In the mean time I'm going to do several other grips and vertical foregrips as well since it came out so well.

Wish the PlastiDip was available in FDE though :D
They do make a clear don't they? Have you thought about painting it FDE, then clear dip? I guess the sand would change the color a bit.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
GonePostal
Silent But Deadly

Post by GonePostal »

Quick iPhone snaps but they are sufficient.

The grip is very good with slight adherence due to the rubber consistency of the PlastiDip product. The second coating should prevent the abrading of the sand that was applied after the first. A third and subsequent coats always possible as they indicate only 30 minutes required between coats. I personally see no need to do this right now. Some ape like testing on the durability of said grip coating should prove telling as to the need for additional coats.

Spray on clear doesn't apply thick enough for decent coverage BTW.
pittbull
Silent Operator

Post by pittbull »

Thank you, Sir!
FWIW, I think you did an amazing job!
E=mc^2+/-3db
kogashuko
Silent But Deadly

Post by kogashuko »

I did the grips on my M&P 45 recently and really like the stuff. It peels if you arnt carefull though.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

I tried it, had problems peeling
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy