CTR Full Kit problems

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: NickB

90mph

CTR Full Kit problems

Post by 90mph »

Vendor at gun show said full kit would work on my DPMS LR308 but the Magpul buffer tube is shorter than std commercial tube and doesn't allow the 308 size BC to fully cycle. I ordered a new DPMS tube from Brownells which should fix it. Just wanted to give a heads up.

To add salt to my wound, I bgt a couple of CTR cheek risers only to discover they're not intended for AR style rifles (block charge handle). Same vendor said they would work great :o Live and learn.
Ryo
Silent But Deadly

Re: CTR Full Kit problems

Post by Ryo »

90mph wrote:Vendor at gun show said full kit would work on my DPMS LR308 but the Magpul buffer tube is shorter than std commercial tube and doesn't allow the 308 size BC to fully cycle. I ordered a new DPMS tube from Brownells which should fix it. Just wanted to give a heads up.

To add salt to my wound, I bgt a couple of CTR cheek risers only to discover they're not intended for AR style rifles (block charge handle). Same vendor said they would work great :o Live and learn.
I believe LaRue makes a cheek riser that might work for you. It slides back when you need to charge, but since your putting it on a 308, I'm not sure if it slides far enough. Call LaRue to see if it works.

Not sure about your comment about fixing the problem by getting a new tube. The stock probably won't fully collapse due to a longer buffer tube. Not sure but that's what I'm thinking.

For my solution on my SR-25, I shorten a Spike's Tactical SS buffer and added high density tungsten powder to give it weight. Also had to shorten the buffer spring since it had too many coils which would cause it to bind.
Here is photos of me installing a UBR stock onto my SR-25:
Ryo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ryo »

I forgot to mention that you don't have to make your own. I think the person is name Slasher from Heavy Buffers. They make the exact thing, but I couldn't let myself buy his buffer when I had good parts lying around that I could use.. plus I'm cheap. :lol:
90mph

Post by 90mph »

Tks for the info ryo, you were exactly right, it wasn't the tube. I bgt a shorter H2 buffer but the spring was too long. Worked fine after I shortened it. I still think I will need a heavier buffer when my suppressor arvs. I'll look into heavybuffers.com

BTW: Nice touch adding your handlle to the buffer and BC.
Ryo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ryo »

If you didn't know, my handle is only photoshoped on to mark my photos as mine. I do that on some of my photos, and sometimes I get too lazy to do that.

If you have a shorten buffer already and want to add weight, look at getting some high density tungsten. You can take apart your buffer and add the high density tungsten. I was recommended to getting a new buffer cap so it wouldn't be worn through by the rubbing of the tungsten, so I purchase that as well. I cut down the cap to be shorter so it would maximize the length of the tube since the cap itself is pretty light.

If I recall correctly I talked to Tom (CEO of Spikes Tactical) who directed me to talk to Garret to purchase the HDTP & buffer cap. I think they charged me like $17 for it shipped, but can't remember. note that this was a year or 2 ago.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

90mph wrote:I bgt a couple of CTR cheek risers only to discover they're not intended for AR style rifles (block charge handle). Same vendor said they would work great :o Live and learn.
No, the vendor should have been able to clue you in and prevent a needless purchase on your part. Sounds like he doesn't know his product lines very well. Sorry you got hammered.

Meh, many friggin' gun show dudes are 'squirters.' I bet he was wearing an ezzpensive single-action .45acp pistol ('cause he knows it kills people deader) but doesn't shoot it but maybe once a year.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons