socom can and 300blk....anyone shot it?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderators: Kudu22, ECHOS

Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

socom can and 300blk....anyone shot it?

Post by Unobtanium »

Mainly I'm curious about sound signature fullsize RC.vs. the Mini. Is the fullsize can quieter with supersonic ammo or are they indistinguishable, or what?
stl929

Re: socom can and 300blk....anyone shot it?

Post by stl929 »

I am interested in this information as well.
MSTN
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MSTN »

I've shot mine with the FA762SS. Accuracy was surprisingly good at 100 yards with off-the-shelf ammo, with the 220 SMK going 1.2":

As far as sound reduction is concerned, all I can say is it seemed VERY quiet, most likely due to the subsonic load. With my current level of hearing loss, the finer nuances of decibel reduction are lost on me.
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

MSTN wrote:I've shot mine with the FA762SS. Accuracy was surprisingly good at 100 yards with off-the-shelf ammo, with the 220 SMK going 1.2":

As far as sound reduction is concerned, all I can say is it seemed VERY quiet, most likely due to the subsonic load. With my current level of hearing loss, the finer nuances of decibel reduction are lost on me.
Very nice!
Have you fired supersonic ammo through it? How does that compare to your MK1 Ear with 5.56 and a full-size Surefire 5.56 can?
Also, what length is that barrel?
How "nose-heavy" is that setup compared to a 16.1" carbine without a can? Do they feel similar if held at the same points on the rails, or is the suppressed SBR still more fatiguing/slower swinging?
MSTN
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MSTN »

Very nice!
Have you fired supersonic ammo through it? How does that compare to your MK1 Ear with 5.56 and a full-size Surefire 5.56 can?
How "nose-heavy" is that setup compared to a 16.1" carbine without a can? Do they feel similar if held at the same points on the rails, or is the suppressed SBR still more fatiguing/slower swinging?
I found the supersonic BLK ammo - fired suppressed - to be quieter than the suppressed 5.56mm with my SF FA556-212.

The barrel length of the upper in the above photo is 8.2". I've observed no subsonic bullet instability with this length. For those wishing to ensure an extra measure of safety in this regard, Noveske also offers a 10.2" length, which we also have.

The 8.2" lends itself to using the "wide-mouth" Seekins forends that cover most of the suppressor. I think it looks extremely cool. Problem - Heat is transferred via conduction, convection, and radiation. When the suppressor gets hot, the forend will eventually get hot, too. The 10.2" is preferable for those who do NOT want this feature, but still desire sufficient real estate for the support hand, tactical light, vertical grip, laser, phaser, taser, etc.

Yes, the 8.2" upper with suppressor mounted as shown is of course a tad nose heavy, but it is still significantly more compact than a 16" upper. There is little doubt in my mind that a longer but lighter unsuppressed 5.56MM weapon would be more nimble - but it would not be a suppressed 300 BLK, either.
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

MSTN wrote:
Very nice!
I found the supersonic BLK ammo - fired suppressed - to be quieter than the suppressed 5.56mm with my SF FA556-212.

The barrel length of the upper in the above photo is 8.2". I've observed no subsonic bullet instability with this length. For those wishing to ensure an extra measure of safety in this regard, Noveske also offers a 10.2" length, which we also have.

The 8.2" lends itself to using the "wide-mouth" Seekins forends that cover most of the suppressor. I think it looks extremely cool. Problem - Heat is transferred via conduction, convection, and radiation. When the suppressor gets hot, the forend will eventually get hot, too. The 10.2" is preferable for those who do NOT want this feature, but still desire sufficient real estate for the support hand, tactical light, vertical grip, laser, phaser, taser, etc.

Yes, the 8.2" upper with suppressor mounted as shown is of course a tad nose heavy, but it is still significantly more compact than a 16" upper. There is little doubt in my mind that a longer but lighter unsuppressed 5.56MM weapon would be more nimble - but it would not be a suppressed 300 BLK, either.
Thanks! I'm living vicariously through you for a few more months until my Daniel Defense DDM4 SBR and Surefire SOCOM 762RC that I paid for months ago...are "mine". :(

What twist rate is that upper?

How is recoil compared to suppressed 5.56? Less snappy?
dustinreeder

Post by dustinreeder »

It's mainly a pitch difference not a decibel difference
usmcvet0331

Post by usmcvet0331 »

MSTN wrote:I've shot mine with the FA762SS. Accuracy was surprisingly good at 100 yards with off-the-shelf ammo, with the 220 SMK going 1.2":

MSTN

How are you getting the suppressor on and off? Do you use something to release the latch or can you get your fingers in there?
MSTN
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MSTN »

With the overlapping forend, there's really no choice but to remove the forend tube, first. This is admittedly tedious, but the price one pays for the cool overlapping forend look.

I do not advocate the overlapping forend, after having used them a good bit, despite their good looks. The bigger issue with this setup is the dang forend gets so hot from heat radiating off of the suppressor that, with much shooting at all, the forend gets too hot to hold. Sure, a vertical grip, gloves, forend panels, etc., can all help with the heat issue.

I believe the optimum combination of parts is a 10.5" barrel and 9.5" forend, just to give the shooter enough real estate to run the gun and mount a vertical grip and tactical light. Then, the forend is not in the way when time comes to mount and dismount the suppressor.

Unrelated tip: ASYM 300 BLK ammo with the Barnes TSX 110 grain bullet is the most accurate load I've tried to date in the 300 BLK chambering. Five into 3/4" at 100 yards is pretty standard.
usmcvet0331

Post by usmcvet0331 »

This is my Noveske 8.5" bbl and BCM Upper and BCM KMR rail. With a SF Mini.