Socom 556 acceptable sound reduction?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderators: Kudu22, ECHOS

Conqueror
Elite Member

Socom 556 acceptable sound reduction?

Post by Conqueror »

Silencer Shop sent their test can back for being unacceptably loud and I have heard a similar rumor from a couple others. Was planning on putting this can on a 5.56 SBR. Anyone have this can in-hand that can speak to the absolute sound suppression relative to other common 5.56 cans like the M4-2K, Saker, etc.?
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
DesertRat
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Socom 556 acceptable sound reduction?

Post by DesertRat »

I'm still probably 2 months out on my 556RC. When the Form 4 comes in, I will have an M4-2K and a 556 Specwar to compare it to. I will be running it on a 10.3" barreled AR.

I fully expect it to be in the ballpark for sound reduction compared to the other two cans mentioned above.

I have a 762RC and I am very happy with the sound reduction compared to another quality .308 can. I expect the same from the 556RC.
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.
Give a man a bank and he can rob the entire world.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

I have an SOT customer that tested one against the m42k and said he wouldnt order another unless the m42k went extinct.

Disclaimer: I dont have personal experience with the SF can just what my customer told me.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Anyone else? I know a good number of these are out in the wild...
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

If your doing for quiet factor grab m42k or specwar 556. I own them all and if I had to pay for them those would be the two I would pick from.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

I'm willing to sacrifice a few dB for other things (good mounting system, good brake, good POI shift, etc). But I'm not willing to sacrifice, like 10dB. If the surefire sounded like an M4-1000 I would still consider buying one.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

You will be happy then.
ex95B10

Post by ex95B10 »

Conqueror wrote:I'm willing to sacrifice a few dB for other things (good mounting system, good brake, good POI shift, etc). But I'm not willing to sacrifice, like 10dB. If the surefire sounded like an M4-1000 I would still consider buying one.
Bringing dead threads back to life one thread at a time... :D

I'm in the same boat, I feel the SF is built better even if it may be slightly louder but I don't have any first hand experience with the SOCOM556-RC.
"Weather is here, wish you were beautiful"
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

ex95B10 wrote: I'm in the same boat, I feel the SF is built better even if it may be slightly louder but I don't have any first hand experience with the SOCOM556-RC.
Built better than what?
I certainly wouldn't say it's built better than the M42K or SR5. Maybe a better mounting system than the M42K, but the M42K and SR5 are a fully circumferentially CNC welded inconel baffle stack inside a secondary 316 stainless tube.
I'm also not saying the SF is not a tough can, I'm just saying that it's not better built than the AAC stuff.
hkbeltfed

Post by hkbeltfed »

Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Tough to tell under a roof like that. Plus the SB has a larger bore. I now have a dark earth 556-RC inbound from when silencer shop had them on super-sale. Will do a video or two when it arrives. The camera I use for most gun videos does an above-average job of capturing realistic firearm sound.
ex95B10

Post by ex95B10 »

Conqueror wrote:I now have a dark earth 556-RC inbound from when silencer shop had them on super-sale. Will do a video or two when it arrives. The camera I use for most gun videos does an above-average job of capturing realistic firearm sound.
If you don't mind me asking, how much of a deal did you get SF for on the super-sale?

Looking forward to your video.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

$949 shipped.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Just a followup post... I have the can home now and have shot it a few times. In comparison to the AAC M4-1000 Mod 08 it is definitely louder on an equivalent barrel length, but still does a reasonable job of taming the worst of the muzzle report. Compared to an M4-2000 or Saker it is substantially louder. That said, it is also 1-2" shorter than those cans and comparable or lower in weight. My final verdict is that no one should buy a SOCOM 556 for the sound performance. Consider it a "borderline Mini/Micro" 5.56 silencer and your expectations will probably be closest to real life. It is small and the mount is excellent, and back pressure doesn't seem bad (likely a function of the vented baffles, which contribute to the louder tone). I would buy another one if the price was right, but would not pay retail (1200+) when there are so many other excellent cans available. A Saker K is probably lighter and will definitely sound at least as good, and costs $750.
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

Have you fired the SOCOM 556 at night? My understanding was that better flash suppression was a goal, since most cans I've fired at night (always on 16" barrels) exhibited surprisingly large first round flashes and 2-4" long caliber-sized jets of red/orange flame on subsequent shots.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

I haven't. Our club shooting hours stop at dusk so unless I'm on a friend's land I rarely do any night shooting.

Here's a video of my setup in action:
https://youtu.be/6zGMtgUAAdc
ex95B10

Post by ex95B10 »

I was bound and determined to go zero my AR even though the forecast was for heavy rain showers.
Did I forget to mention that I was firing suppressed with my Surefire SOCOM556-RC?

https://youtu.be/jWZZLBJsGDs
emrisg
Silent But Deadly

Post by emrisg »

I have fired my 5.56 socom at night on my m16. With a 11.5 inch barrel you get a decent flash on the 1st round but the rest look like a small 1-2 inch flame coming out. Definitely louder than my aac 7.62 sdn-6 but there was a much larger flash on the 7.62 sdn-6 but it is also a 30 cal can.

The test was not sientific. It consisted of a mag dump with both suppressors on a dark night shooting at a dirt pile. I don't know what ammo I was using but both silencers got the same ammo.

I have not had a chance to shoot them both on a longer barrel at night.

I have yet to burn the finish of my surefire even after 100 round mag dumps. The finish on my aac can burned off the 1st time I got it glowing hot. Not sure this even matters because when I sent my AAC can back for a latch repair they repainted it for me at no cost. I kind of like the burned off finish.

I think the aac would be the perfect can if the mount was better.i had my gunsmith fit my mounts to my can and the group sizes are much better on bolt action rifles.

I do like the rock solid mount and short size of the 5.56 surefire. It does its job and balances nicely on the 11.5 upper. I have no regrets about my purchase.

I still wear hearing protection when shooting any can on a 5.56 semi or full auto rifle.

Ps. Don't set you rifle suppressor down on your rubber floor mats on the passénger side of your truck after a few mag dumps. It burned a hole through the mat before I figured out what was happening. I had to shoot it some more to get the rubber off the can. Smoked bad and stunk.
rangertrace

Post by rangertrace »

While it is not the SOCOM, yesterday I purchased an FDE Surefire Mini for my 10.5" LWRC that I have ordered. I'm sure it won't be as quiet as some of the others, but the size and weight
were really important to me because this rifle will be deployed from a rifle lock in my G-ride. I don't plan to shoot it without hearing protection anyway, unless it gets used at work and then
it will still be much safer than a 16" without a can. And for $650, how could I refuse......... :wink:
usmcvet0331

Post by usmcvet0331 »

I shot 30 rounds last weekend through one on a 10.5" 5.56. It was louder than I expected. I thought it sounded a little quieter than a .22 from a rifle. My ears did not ring but I put my ear muffs back on. It did not have the noise and concussion the gun has w/o the suppressor. It was more pleasant to shoot. This can was on sale from Arms Unlimited for $799 shipped.