Surefire Socom ratchet question

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderators: Kudu22, ECHOS

MB38

Surefire Socom ratchet question

Post by MB38 »

Hey folks,

I have a question for those of you who have received your RC/Socom suppressors.

I've been trying to understand the way that the suppressor mount works, and I've not found a complete description. Here's what I understand thus far.

The brake/flash hiders now have a male protrusion to clock the suppressor:

The suppressors themselves have a matching female groove:

Once the suppressor is installed, a 180˚ twist of the ratchet secures the suppressor.

My question is this: what happens inside of the mount during that 180˚ rotation? I can't figure out what the actual locking action onto the brake/FH is! If somebody has one, could you describe or post a video/pictures looking into the rear of the can?

Thanks!
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Re: Surefire Socom ratchet question

Post by Fulmen »

Could it be the good'ol double eccentric lock? Basically the rear outside of the can is eccentric, same with the mating surface of the ratchet ring. So when you turn the ratchet the rear ring "cams" into contact with the rear of the flash hider.
MB38

Post by MB38 »

Fulmen wrote:Could it be the good'ol double eccentric lock? Basically the rear outside of the can is eccentric, same with the mating surface of the ratchet ring. So when you turn the ratchet the rear ring "cams" into contact with the rear of the flash hider.
It certainly looks like that could be the case... but tough to tell from the pictures. Was that how the previous generation worked? I haven't handled either generation beyond a few minutes at SHOT.
MB38

Post by MB38 »

I've finally received my SFMB-556, so I've been able to look at it more carefully.

Beyond the "tongue" and the 45˚ mating surface [the transition up to the widest profile on the brake], there doesn't seem to be any mounting interface. It must be an eccentric cam. It just makes me wonder what prevents the suppressor from sliding off the end of the brake if enough force is applied.

Still hoping that somebody here has taken delivery and will be able to post a video or pictures. :)
Kane

Post by Kane »

MB38 wrote:I've finally received my SFMB-556, so I've been able to look at it more carefully.

Beyond the "tongue" and the 45˚ mating surface [the transition up to the widest profile on the brake], there doesn't seem to be any mounting interface. It must be an eccentric cam. It just makes me wonder what prevents the suppressor from sliding off the end of the brake if enough force is applied.

Still hoping that somebody here has taken delivery and will be able to post a video or pictures. :)
You'll have a difficult time taking it off, no chance of slipping off. What pics or videos are you looking for? I have the 762RC, 556Mini, & 556RC that we use for demos.
FFL/SOT
S&K Arms Co.
www.SKarms.com
[email protected]
MB38

Post by MB38 »

Kane wrote:
MB38 wrote:I've finally received my SFMB-556, so I've been able to look at it more carefully.

You'll have a difficult time taking it off, no chance of slipping off. What pics or videos are you looking for? I have the 762RC, 556Mini, & 556RC that we use for demos.
I'd love to see inside of the locking collar while it locks and unlocks when not installed on a rifle. Basically, I'm just nerdily curious about the mechanism, how it works, and what actually moves in there!
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Yes, it is an eccentric camming action. The inside of the actual collar contains a ratcheting mechanism for the locking tab.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]