After-market Outback end caps?

Company specific discussions and announcements.
dbooksta
Silent Operator

After-market Outback end caps?

Post by dbooksta »

I opened my Outback-II, sandblasted the baffles clean, and want to close it up with a single end-cap instead of that spacer and "unserviceable" original cap.

Gem-Tech wants $70 for a II-D endcap and spanner tool. And they'll only sell it if you mail in the whole can.

At this point I kind of feel like they should be paying me for taking care of this mess, not gouging me further. Are there other good options for removable end caps that would fit the same Outback thread and depth?
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: After-market Outback end caps?

Post by chrismartin »

The problem is that "end caps" are silencer parts. To the ATF, Silencer parts == silencer.
So, you can't order end caps from a vendor and have them mailed to you. You also cannot make your own or have anyone but a manufacturer (07/02 or whatever) make them.
No matter who makes the end cap, you'll have to send the silencer to the vendor and they will send it back.
I'd expect that Gemtech would be the fastest at this.

Other than that, I'd recommend Stalking Rhino (user here is Bendersquint) They replaced the guts of my Pilot with all stainless and titanium mount and end cap.
dbooksta
Silent Operator

Post by dbooksta »

Don't want to turn this into another NFA rules thread, but my understanding is that:
  1. Yes, end caps are a silencer part.
  2. I can't possess more silencer parts than I have registered silencers.
  3. If I destroy one part of my registered silencer I can make or acquire another to replace it.
  4. Therefore, if I find a source for an end cap I can destroy my current one and buy that new one.
  5. Any "normal" SOT 07 (i.e., not Gem-Tech) would sell me the parts if I show them an applicable Form 4, and let me worry about my own NFA compliance. (OK, not certain on this point, but I hope it's true. For example, any barrel maker will sell me short barrels without policing my NFA compliance.)
I don't know what the thread pitch is on the Outback, but maybe McMaster-Carr sells good plugs in that size and pitch so we can just drill out the bore on drill press after destroying the old cap.

I thought SRI is out of the "jailbreaking" business. I Emailed Liberty to see if they have one.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

SRI still jail brakes. However, this is not a jail brake. This is just a "custom part" which they do all the time for all sorts of things.
I doubt liberty would have it as their re-core service was a mono-core, which the end cap was included and attached to the core.

I'd recommend PM'ing bendersquint.
If it were me though, I'd just go to Gemtech. Easy, I doubt there is much of a wait and not that expensive.

WRT to the "destroying the part thing" I had a conversation with Bendersquint about that. He documents any parts that he replaces for ATF audits and such. He stated that he can't just go by the end user's word that a part was destroyed. Think about it, you could just send him an empty tube and say "I lost the baffles, please replace them" then you'd have an entire set of baffles sitting around. It sort of puts him on the hook by sending you a bunch of baffles (non-serialized silencer parts.) This stems from the husband and wife team that were selling silencer parts at gun shows as separate businesses. Wife sold the baffles on one side of a show, husband sold the tubes. Neither were silencers themselves, but you could build one if you bought them separately. That's when the ATF decided that a single part is a "silencer".
dbooksta
Silent Operator

Post by dbooksta »

Cool; just PM'd Bendersquint.

Maybe he can also confirm the legal question. Or maybe I'll spend some time searching for authoritative answers. Seems like it boils down to the following:
  • Does an 07 SOT have to account for all non-serialized silencer parts they manufacture?
  • What rules apply to the sale of non-serialized silencer parts by 07 SOTs?
I understand some people -- especially SOTs -- prefer to play it safe. But the reality is that the commerce in metal tubes, threaded fittings, oil filters, potatoes, etc., is generally outside the purview of the ATF even though all those are silencer parts. Only when they can establish constructive intent is there even a potential violation of the NFA, and I hope a parts seller can't be held accountable for constructive violations committed by clients.

Update: Bendersquint answers the legal question here.
Last edited by dbooksta on Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

dbooksta wrote:.
I thought SRI is out of the "jailbreaking" business. I Emailed Liberty to see if they have one.
Why would you think that?
dbooksta
Silent Operator

Post by dbooksta »

Bendersquint wrote:
dbooksta wrote: I thought SRI is out of the "jailbreaking" business. I Emailed Liberty to see if they have one.
Why would you think that?
I Emailed [email protected] on March 15 asking for details on the jailbreaking service that aren't provided on your site and never got a response. Subsequently I thought I read that you were setting up to make your own line of suppressors, but not sure on this latter point.

If you're still in the jailbreaking business then great! I'll try contacting you again.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

dbooksta wrote: I Emailed [email protected] on March 15 asking for details on the jailbreaking service that aren't provided on your site and never got a response. Subsequently I thought I read that you were setting up to make your own line of suppressors, but not sure on this latter point.

If you're still in the jailbreaking business then great! I'll try contacting you again.
We were having some email issues and we are pretty backlogged on emails so i will have to check on monday for that email.

And yes, we are working on a product line and have no plans at this time to stop jailbreaking.