Gemtech GM9 suppressor

Company specific discussions and announcements.
phideaux

Gemtech GM9 suppressor

Post by phideaux »

I've been a long time lurker here, and learned a lot about suppressors from reading all the great posts from people who really know about suppressors. I love my Yankee Hill 556 and 308 cans, and also have a Gemtech Alpine , and a GM9. The Alpine isn't that great, although it's pretty quiet, it sucks to clean. Mine also was almost welded shut after 250 rounds. It's since gone to another home. The GM9 is the one I really want to talk about. I apologize if this is seen as a 1st post rant. I just don't want to see anyone else get screwed over buying one of these cans.

I couldn't find any reviews of the GM9, and picked it solely based on looks and Gemtechs website hype. The suppressor is maybe 2 months old now. The GM9 is nothing more than a long muzzle brake. It's not even remotely quiet or hearing safe indoors or out. I'm using it on a Glock 34 and 9mm AR15 SBR with 8" barrel. I've shot it dry and wet (white lithium grease). All of my ammo is subsonic at 1000fps or less. Speed of sound at my altitude is 1107fps. Both my 124gr and 147gr loads were 1000fps or less from both weapons. Both loads were chronographed on the days they were used to be positive. It will ring your ears every shot.

The can has already been back to Gemtech to fix an out of round thread on the monocore. They replaced the core and sent it back without even firing it. I gathered together several SOT's and FFL's I do gun repairs for and let them all shoot the GM9, they're still laughing about this junk suppressor. Gemtech did a quick turnaround on replacing the core and has been pretty responsive about trying to help. The last time I spoke to them on the phone, they said theres not really anything else to do. I didn't spend $550 + $200 stamp for a muzzle brake. It honestly doesn't sound much different with the can on or off. I honestly don't think a muzzle brake should be this expensive. I could have used a Noveske Flaming Pig and got the same amount of suppression.

I was told by a Gemtech tech that these cores all tested at 135 - 139dB, and that wouldn't hurt my ears. WTF kind of logic are they using? They haven't even hinted at a refund for this joke of a suppressor yet. It seemed kind of inferred that I'm stuck with it. It took 5 months to save up for this can and the stamp. Gemtech needs to step up and make this right. I know this is not normal for a good 9mm can, as I've got to try an Octane 9. While talking to the Gemtech tech, I mentioned having it recored by someone to make it actually work decently. He told me that would probably be a good idea and then said Stalking Rhino does a good job from what he's beard. I couldn't believe I was hearing this. What kind of a company makes a product that doesn't work and stays in business as long as they have?

I really don't think I should have to pay to have this thing recored. It should have been done right to begin with. I have no idea what a recore would cost, but I'm sure it would probably take another 5 months of saving to pay for that. It really sucks knowing I'll probably have over $1000 in one can just to make it remotely quiet. Any ideas on what I should do now or anyone have experience dealing with Gemtech like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
colimr

Re: Gemtech GM9 suppressor

Post by colimr »

I was hopeing to look up the GM9 just to get a look at the core but Gemtech has no listing for the GM9.Is there another listing or named used?Could you post any pics of your core? It really sucks all the problems your having.I thought Gemtech was one of the best companies around.now I am having second thoughts.Good luck
colimr

Post by colimr »

Never mind found it.Looks like a pretty standard monocore I wonder how they can screw it up.Whats odd to me is its a 9mm/300blk subsonic can but listed to be used on 7.5" or longer 300 blk subsonic barrel only.Am I reading that right?
phideaux

Post by phideaux »

colimr wrote:Never mind found it.Looks like a pretty standard monocore I wonder how they can screw it up.Whats odd to me is its a 9mm/300blk subsonic can but listed to be used on 7.5" or longer 300 blk subsonic barrel only.Am I reading that right?

from what I was told, any shorter barrel on a 300BLK, and the gasses would erode the aluminum pretty fast. if my GM9 won't even slightly suppress subsonic 9mm, I don't see how it could work with a 300BLK. my Yankee Hill 5.56 Phantom with full power 5.56 ammo is quieter than this GM9 with subsonics. Everyone with me at the range last week agreed. There's no ear ringing with the Phantom can. The GM9 will definately hurt your ears. There's quiet a bit of gas blow by at the muzzle end since the tube isn't sealed there. The Gemtech tech told me it didn't matter since the gas is going away from you. That was another WTF??? moment I've had with Gemtech's logic.

I talk to them on the phone at least twice a week waiting for them to figure out what's wrong. I did ask them why the GM9 was so loud compared to an Octane 9. He said it's because the Octane is longer. I don't think 1/2" or so would make that huge of a difference. Gemtech continues to defend the G- Core as "the culmination of two decades of pistol suppressor experience". At this point, all I can do anymore is laugh.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

The G9 is a monocore design and by nature they are always louder than K baffle cans.

I own a number of Gemtech cans and personally I would have passed on the G9; you should have bought the multi mount instead.
phideaux

Post by phideaux »

Kramer wrote:The G9 is a monocore design and by nature they are always louder than K baffle cans.

I own a number of Gemtech cans and personally I would have passed on the G9; you should have bought the multi mount instead.

I bought it based on Gemtech's hype on their website. There were no reviews anywhere about this can. None of the SOT's I do gun work for had even seen one yet. If you read what Gemtech says about it, they took the best of the Tundra and Multi Mount suppressors and developed the GM9. Being as I'm still fairly new to suppressors, I actually believed them. If I had known then what I know now, I could have just built a form 1 9mm can from tubing and freeze plugs and had a way better suppressor than the GM9. I've emailed a couple of people about having it recored, none of them have responded in over a week so I guess nobody wants to work on junk Gemtech suppressors either. I honestly don't blame them.

Since my last post, I got to try out a Gemtech Sandstorm in 308. It's not as quiet as my Yankee Hill 308 Phantom, and is twice the price. Maybe I'm not understanding it right, but do people really buy suppressors to NOT make their guns quieter?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

We will get you taken care of.

Check your PM's.
phideaux

Post by phideaux »

Bendersquint wrote:We will get you taken care of.

Check your PM's.

returned your PM
phideaux

Post by phideaux »

Gemtech hasn't returned any calls from last week. I had a long phone conversation with Bender today, and have no doubt my GM9 will really perform when he's done with it. I'm shipping it to him tomorrow. I know it'll be in good hands.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

phideaux wrote: Since my last post, I got to try out a Gemtech Sandstorm in 308. It's not as quiet as my Yankee Hill 308 Phantom, and is twice the price. Maybe I'm not understanding it right, but do people really buy suppressors to NOT make their guns quieter?
That's not what we found around here. We kept all variables the same and found the Phantoms were a bit louder than the sandstorm. I have even seen independent testing of the Sandstorm, Cyclone and Phantom and the Phantom was a couple decibels louder than the other two.
phideaux

Post by phideaux »

Kramer wrote:
phideaux wrote: Since my last post, I got to try out a Gemtech Sandstorm in 308. It's not as quiet as my Yankee Hill 308 Phantom, and is twice the price. Maybe I'm not understanding it right, but do people really buy suppressors to NOT make their guns quieter?
That's not what we found around here. We kept all variables the same and found the Phantoms were a bit louder than the sandstorm. I have even seen independent testing of the Sandstorm, Cyclone and Phantom and the Phantom was a couple decibels louder than the other two.

I doubt many peoples ears can tell the difference between 2 decibels, but I know my wallet feels the $800+ difference. I know out on the 75 acre freshly plowed field that my Phantom sounded lots better than the Sandstorm. The Phantom was also quieter to me shooting inside. I'd rather have the $800 and buy another Yankee Hill can and stamp.
bulletsmith

Post by bulletsmith »

Well I too got suckered into buying the GM9 last year. Before I bought the can I had asked how quiet is the can ? Gemtech said oh it's really nice to shoot you just hear the slide and the bullet impact. Well after receiving the can all I can say is BULLSHIT !!! The first round is so loud that when wearing ear plugs it still make a normal gun fire report. I was an 02 MFG back 10+ years ago and my very first can was way better than this POS. I called customer service and they were very helpful but I am not sending it back to them. I asked what core they were going to replace it with to actually make it a suppressor, well his response was "we dont have anything that will work in that tube" so that tells me everything I want to know. Never again will I buy or recommend their cans to anyone. And yes I let my friends all active duty SOF guys fire the pistol with the GM9 and they just laughed. Mike
colimr

Post by colimr »

Phideaux what was the solution to the G9 issue that Bender came up with? I assume a recore but what design change did he advise? how did it work out?
Joe

Post by Joe »

I recently picked up a GM-45 and am more than happy with it. The 3 other people who have shot it thought it sounded pretty good to.

Quite frankly, I read this thread after I purchased the GM-45, which really freaked me out about the quality of the series of suppressor.

That said, given the posted history of the OP, it now does make me wonder per my own personal experiences.
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

I feel the same way about my GM-45.. It's LOUD... especially the first shot. Only full of ablative does it fall under the level of pain. It is by far the loudest 45 suppressor I have ever sold or shot. Even the older AWC can meant to be packed with lithium grease is way quieter!
I do have a Quicksand, which is the Sandstorm with a QD, and it may be one the quietest 30 cal suppressor I've ever shot. It is certainly a lot quieter than the two Phantoms I've shot. The Thor XL from AWC is about 11 inches long, all titanium and I believe is the quietest 30 cal suppressor out there. I use it on a mid length 300 Blackout and it is very quiet. On a 18 inch barreled Rock River A-1 300 Blackout the whole setup is almost silent except for the bolt noise. On the Ruger Precision bolt gun it is very quiet, wish it had a longer barrel option.
George from Alaska
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

phideaux wrote:Gemtech hasn't returned any calls from last week. I had a long phone conversation with Bender today, and have no doubt my GM9 will really perform when he's done with it. I'm shipping it to him tomorrow. I know it'll be in good hands.
What was the end result of you talking with SR? Did you send the GM-9 in to get re-cored or perhaps baffled? I need to do something with my GM-45 as it is useless shot dry... the frp is actually a first round blast of ear pain...

I see where Dave over at Liberty, the only company I buy moncores from, has opened up their special services shop again. He may have options also.
George from Alaska
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

Joe wrote:I recently picked up a GM-45 and am more than happy with it. The 3 other people who have shot it thought it sounded pretty good to.

Quite frankly, I read this thread after I purchased the GM-45, which really freaked me out about the quality of the series of suppressor.

That said, given the posted history of the OP, it now does make me wonder per my own personal experiences.
Have you compared your GM-45 to a Liberty Cosmic, AAC Tirant M 45, an Octane or a Rugged Obsidian. I own all of them including the GM-45 and just can't shoot the GM-45 unless its full of wire pulling gel or suppressor foam. I am truly interested in your experience because I've heard others say their GM-45 is satisfyingly quiet and one guy posted that it was close to "Hollywood quiet". Maybe a few of us got bad ones? I guess I need to call Gemtech.

You know, I think the reason that Gemtech came out with the Lunar modular suppressor is from all the calls they have had with regards to the GM-45 and GM-9. I got a chance to shoot with a guy that did a Form 1 Maglight/freeze plug suppressor and it was quieter than my GM-45, he did use a fairly long flashlight shell... probably three D cells long. I think a person would have even better luck with conventional tubing and after getting their Form 1 approval buy some of the solid piece no hole K looking baffles that are for sale, along with the muzzle adapter and a blank end cap that needs to be drilled out to whatever you think the proper channel is. It's just that for the same $200 tax I think a person would want to buy from an established company with access to exotic metals, CMC machines and proper welders if needed. I just prefer baffle cans, except for Liberty... they really have the monocore down.
George from Alaska
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

George! Dude!

None of these people have logged into this site for over 2 years.

You're talking to dead people.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

doubloon wrote:George! Dude!

None of these people have logged into this site for over 2 years.

You're talking to dead people.
I see dead people... but guess I didn't see the dates, n e e d coffee....
George from Alaska
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895