opinions on the blackside?

Company specific discussions and announcements.
KevinCa316

opinions on the blackside?

Post by KevinCa316 »

based solely upon looks alone, i LOVE this suppressor. this is exactly what a can should look like in my book, and the time and money ill be investing yes that does play an important factor for me. how does it perform? what about opposed to a tirant?
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: opinions on the blackside?

Post by Selectedmarksman »

You should definitely do a search on these forums. The blackside does have a bit of a... reputation.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
KevinCa316

Post by KevinCa316 »

Selectedmarksman wrote:You should definitely do a search on these forums. The blackside does have a bit of a... reputation.

ive seen a few opinions and none of them were particularity good
FailedAbortion

Post by FailedAbortion »

I own one and while it does look nice, I've had a couple issues. First it was threaded wrong, ended up having to send it back to Gemtech to be re-threaded. I was also misinformed that the L.I.D. was removable and I ended up with a Blackout without the L.I.D. This wasn't so bad because I intended on shooting mainly from a full size 1911. Unfortunately it doesn't cycle with XD45 even though it's .2 OZ lighter and about 3/8" shorter than my QMF (QMF cycles everything so far). I don't like not being able to take it apart to clean it, but haven't had any issues yet after a couple years of shooting. As for noise level, it's not bad, I can't really tell the difference between the Blackside, QMF, and a friend's AAC (then again I don't hear very well). I can tell you the tones are different. I don't shoot wet often, I feel it's a PITA, and generally have very little time to shoot.

Now after all that, I got a good deal on it and it's been fun to shoot. I don't regret buying mine, but I bought mine fully expecting to buy another can.

All in all I'm happy. I will say to call and talk to Gemtech about the firearm you intend to shoot it on. They'll let you know what to expect
A Shining example of what not to be when you grow up
jurist
Silent But Deadly

Post by jurist »

I had one. I liked the deep tone which to me sounded quieter than the sharper tone of some of the "quieter" cans. Mine was one of the light no lid versions. I liked it for what it was. It is nothing like an osprey though or a tirant. I would go with either of those and never look back. I had issues with mine on two accounts. When fired wet from a HK USP Tactical 45 it would jam when fired wet. This problem started about 250 rds into it. I believe this was because it was too heavy even with a small amount of artificial media in it. The biggest problem was one I had when I first got it. They rear end cap was not securely attached to the can and unscrewed to the point the pressure in the can forced it off which damaged some of the threads lightly. It went back to GT and they tightened it up as it should have been done in the first place and placed loctite on the threads as they should have done from the start and I didn't have this issue again. I have no doubt the threads were weaker than they should have been as a result.

Due to these issues and ones I had with an OASIS, I will not stock Gemtech products and steer customers away. I know of four Class 3 dealers who no longer stock Gemtech products due to my experience with the OASIS.
TSI Consulting
GLOCK Certified Armorer
FFL/SOT
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

jurist wrote:Due to these issues and ones I had with an OASIS, I will not stock Gemtech products and steer customers away. I know of four Class 3 dealers who no longer stock Gemtech products due to my experience with the OASIS.
Like the old saying goes...nobody or company is perfect.

BTW In my area I know of a lot of dealers that won't handle AAC due to various issues and business practices, but gladly stock Gemtech cans.
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

I have one. It took a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth to get Gemtech to put a LID on it, after spending lots of money on adapters and ammo and VERY detailed failure reports. My LID is different from everyone else's because it's a prototype to the one they're using now. They fixed mine, but I feel like they should have offered free LID's to anyone who wanted one and had a can before they offered it as an option, not as a paid upgrade to the people who had the same problems that I had. That being said, it's a comfortable can to shoot wet. If I were buying a 45 can today, it would be an Osprey or TiRant, absolutely without hesitation.
jurist
Silent But Deadly

Post by jurist »

I would also note that it was a personal can and I disliked my experience with the can despite the pleasing tone, so much that I sold it used and paid the tax to sell it.
TSI Consulting
GLOCK Certified Armorer
FFL/SOT
diablito
Silent But Deadly

Post by diablito »

I currently own 1 without an LID... i use it with a NightHawk Dominator and a NightHawk threaded barrel ... name the ammo, and ive shot it... never an issue... at least 3k rounds through it... and ive yet to shoot it wet... love the sound it makes... totally hearing safe (in the everglades) and has brought lots of smiles to my face... cant speak about the ti-rat, no experience there... but my prodigy absolutely blows ass.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

diablito wrote:but my prodigy absolutely blows ass.
Which Core do you have? I have the Gen III the latest and really like it after having the Gen-I and Gen-II cores.

It is now accurate and is easier to clean. This is the Gen-III core. HUGE improvement. Still a bit of FRP, but a spritz from a nose spray bottle of H2O fixes that.

Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
psp7
Silent But Deadly

Post by psp7 »

Like many Americans, if you complain enough like Johnny C, you get attention as it doesnt do good for a business on the internet. The Blackside is a great can for 6" at 5 oz.
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

psp7 wrote:Like many Americans, if you complain enough like Johnny C, you get attention as it doesnt do good for a business on the internet. The Blackside is a great can for 6" at 5 oz.
No, no it's not. It's marginally reliable and marginally effective. There's no reason to get one nowadays. And since when is holding a company to their claims a bad thing? Case in point, the AAC Prodigy.

You're old news dude, you roll around here every couple months talking s--t and trolling as much as you can, then you disappear for a while and hope the members here have forgotten what an idiot and a douche you are.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

JohnnyC wrote:
psp7 wrote:Like many Americans, if you complain enough like Johnny C, you get attention as it doesnt do good for a business on the internet. The Blackside is a great can for 6" at 5 oz.
No, no it's not. It's marginally reliable and marginally effective. There's no reason to get one nowadays. And since when is holding a company to their claims a bad thing? Case in point, the AAC Prodigy.

You're old news dude, you roll around here every couple months talking s--t and trolling as much as you can, then you disappear for a while and hope the members here have forgotten what an idiot and a douche you are.
AAC did a super job of responding to people pushing back when their claims were not met. Gen I was freaking LOUD.. it was a machine/print error ... Then the Gen II came out to address the dB problem but the design was causing key-holing... Once it was politely shown with some data AAC developed a FIX for it.. This time it did more than just fix the instability ... It improved the silencer in MANY ways.

AAC listened and luckily enough people provided CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, not just bitching and moaning. I think some customers and AAC worked together to develop the final version.. It is now one of the BEST light weight monocore .22 silencers out there.

110.3 dB on a CZ bolt rifle! It also performs well on a P-22 as well. Stability issue is now GONE. It is even easier to clean now too. Light, accurate, VERY quiet on a bolt rifle, AND on a short pistol. Simple and now a little easier to clean.... It just needs a take down tool. (Steve made some)

So making noise was a good thing.. We now have a superb .22 silencer.. the Gen III Prodigy.

I have to admit it being my first silencer and when I shot it for the very first time it was inside.. and it rang my bell BAD. 138+ dB I was not to happy... But NOW... a few years later... I have a wicked nice, super light silencer which lives on my CZ bolt gun. It STILL makes me smile thanks to AAC making all the changes.
diablito
Silent But Deadly

Post by diablito »

JohnInNH wrote: AAC did a super job of responding to people pushing back when their claims were not met. Gen I was freaking LOUD.. it was a machine/print error ... Then the Gen II came out to address the dB problem but the design was causing key-holing... Once it was politely shown with some data AAC developed a FIX for it.. This time it did more than just fix the instability ... It improved the silencer in MANY ways.

AAC listened and luckily enough people provided CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, not just bitching and moaning. I think some customers and AAC worked together to develop the final version.. It is now one of the BEST light weight monocore .22 silencers out there.

110.3 dB on a CZ bolt rifle! It also performs well on a P-22 as well. Stability issue is now GONE. It is even easier to clean now too. Light, accurate, VERY quiet on a bolt rifle, AND on a short pistol. Simple and now a little easier to clean.... It just needs a take down tool. (Steve made some)

So making noise was a good thing.. We now have a superb .22 silencer.. the Gen III Prodigy.

I have to admit it being my first silencer and when I shot it for the very first time it was inside.. and it rang my bell BAD. 138+ dB I was not to happy... But NOW... a few years later... I have a wicked nice, super light silencer which lives on my CZ bolt gun. It STILL makes me smile thanks to AAC making all the changes.

And what does any of that have to do with this thread? Plug the prodigy on ITS dedicated thread... Not in a thread inquiring about a blackside and or other .45 cans... I know I'm the one who initially brought up the prodigy but it was correlation with other posts.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

You said it sucked.. So I posted a Pic of the Gen III core so you can compare it to yours. I was trying to be helpful. Take it or not. Maybe others will find it helpful.

Then something about complaining.. I then posted how Not complaining but Constructive Criticism worked out well for Customers and AAC .. using the Prodigy as an example.

Personally I have a 45 Osprey.. Which I chose for a few reasons. Now with the 45 TiRant being customer serviceable I recommend that for people who may want to shoot cast bullets. Personally I am holding out for a HD 45 cal can that will be 45-70 cast bullet friendly.

A friend has a blackslide I would not get one after hearing it.
diablito
Silent But Deadly

Post by diablito »

JohnInNH wrote:You said it sucked.. So I posted a Pic of the Gen III core so you can compare it to yours. I was trying to be helpful. Take it or not. Maybe others will find it helpful.

Then something about complaining.. I then posted how Not complaining but Constructive Criticism worked out well for Customers and AAC .. using the Prodigy as an example.

Personally I have a 45 Osprey.. Which I chose for a few reasons. Now with the 45 TiRant being customer serviceable I recommend that for people who may want to shoot cast bullets. Personally I am holding out for a HD 45 cal can that will be 45-70 cast bullet friendly.

A friend has a blackslide I would not get one after hearing it.
bravo, good post ol' bean!!
psp7
Silent But Deadly

Post by psp7 »

At 6" and 5oz its the lightest and shortest 45 can I've seen on the market. Of course its not as quiet as the nearly 9" Tirant, but thats only natural a 33% longer would be quieter. Its serves me super as a rifle host for my 77/44 and 45LC Handi carbine. Does a very good job on my P220 as well. It wont cycle with my Glock though. Thats what my Osprey is for :mrgreen: When wet its definitely quieter than the Osprey dry. I made mine a takedown Blackside. It has only 4 baffles! Little bugger does a great job IMHO. I'd pass on the LID Blackside as the Osprey is the clear winner in that regards, but for a simple, short, light unit with great suppression the threaded non-LID Blackside is sweet. :wink:
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

What amazes me is,,,,,,,,,,,The legendary KAC .45 can metered 142DB with change,,so did the Blackside. Both dry , WWB 230 ball.

I have both cans, the GT is non-boostered and it runs like a top on my USP tac. I needed to change the recoil spring on my Sig 220.
Last edited by Sigproshooter on Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
trey_phish83
Silent But Deadly

Post by trey_phish83 »

LOL i'm johninnh's friend, and i own a blackslide. yes, it does good when you drop it in a bucket of water, but dry.... wear your ear pro.

there should be some sort of AA for people that own gemtech products.

hi i'm dave, i've owned a gemtech can for 4 years now....

hi dave....*sigh ....
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Dave will tell you the 45 Osprey DRY = Blackside WET... Then add some H2O to the Osprey and it;s even quieter.. But I don't think it's really worth it as it's quiet enough Dry... The nose spray spritz for FRP elimination is really all you need.