All things equal 300 Blackout, 357 or 44 which is quietest?

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

messer454

All things equal 300 Blackout, 357 or 44 which is quietest?

Post by messer454 »

I have searched this every which way I can think of and cannot find an answer.

All things being equal:
300 BLK in quality 30 can
.357 in quality 9mm can
.44 mag in quality 45 can

If all are subsonic at say 1040 fps is there a definitive such and such will be quieter? I was all pumped to get an Octane and put it on a Ruger 44 bolt action but after shooting a buddies Octane last week on my 9mm with subsonics I realized that 9mm was not nearly as quiet as I thought it would be. My original theory was that I could shoot any of the three subsonic out of the 45 Octane and it wouldn't matter "that much" I now believe that is faulty logic. So if they were all in a bolt action or all in a single shot, which would be quietest? What is the ranking? Does it go kind of generically by bore size? Or will they all be about the same when the can is the right size? I would like to go 357 or 44 because I think I will be able to hunt deer with them next year. 300 BLK would be illegal still to hunt anything except damage permits. Thanks
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Re: All things equal 300 Blackout, 357 or 44 which is quiete

Post by hunter2 »

I can not tell a difference in my 300 and my 357 Handi with the cans on. My 45 is not quite as quiet.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

300 Black in a quality rifle can should be the quietest of them all.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
messer454

Post by messer454 »

RJT wrote:300 Black in a quality rifle can should be the quietest of them all.
Is that because it is smaller in diameter? Or is it less gas or something?
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Volume of the tube, and bore diameter. More room for expanding gasses, and a tighter bore makes for a quieter suppressor.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

What's the point of the question?

Any projectile can be loaded to a subsonic loading. The suppressed shot signature is going to be a function of unburned powder, more or less.

Not sure what you're looking for.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
messer454

Post by messer454 »

continuity wrote:What's the point of the question?

Any projectile can be loaded to a subsonic loading. The suppressed shot signature is going to be a function of unburned powder, more or less.

Not sure what you're looking for.
I had originally thought I could get a .45 suppressor and shoot .45 ACP, 9mm, .44 rifle, or .38 rifle (all subsonic) out of it and there would not be that much of a difference in sound. My experience with a friend's Octane and sub .45 and 9mm proved that to be false. So since I can't test or buy all three combinations I was curious if there was a consensus in which was quietest and if there was a reason for that. I am not able to buy all three and I think you will agree that if you are dissatisfied with how a suppressor works you are out money and it is a pain to get rid of.

The unburned powder was a variable I had not considered. Thanks
SpeedyR

Post by SpeedyR »

good question that I'm curious to hear the answers as well. I had been planning on a 45 can (tirant or octane) and using it for 45acp as well as sub 44mag out of a lever action. then a 30 cal can for 300 and 308 use.

I've heard a few different versions but never back to back and never with the same variables (cans, hosts, etc).
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

messer454 wrote:I have searched this every which way I can think of and cannot find an answer.

All things being equal:
300 BLK in quality 30 can
.357 in quality 9mm can
.44 mag in quality 45 can

If all are subsonic at say 1040 fps is there a definitive such and such will be quieter? I was all pumped to get an Octane and put it on a Ruger 44 bolt action but after shooting a buddies Octane last week on my 9mm with subsonics I realized that 9mm was not nearly as quiet as I thought it would be. My original theory was that I could shoot any of the three subsonic out of the 45 Octane and it wouldn't matter "that much" I now believe that is faulty logic. So if they were all in a bolt action or all in a single shot, which would be quietest? What is the ranking? Does it go kind of generically by bore size? Or will they all be about the same when the can is the right size? I would like to go 357 or 44 because I think I will be able to hunt deer with them next year. 300 BLK would be illegal still to hunt anything except damage permits. Thanks
Both the 300 BLK and 38/357 use pistol powders in subsonic loadings so you'll not have a lot of unburned powder to deal with. These will be close to the same suppression wise.
44 in a 45 silencer will be noticably louder. The TiRant will be quieter than the Octane in 45.
In a bolt or single shot...why would the 300 be illegal?
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

The low mass and speed + narrow frontal area result in below minimum ft-lbs and (iirc) Permanent Wound Channel for his State.
Only animals creating damage to landscape or structures on Private Land can be culled, if his State Statutes are the same as TX.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

whiterussian1974 wrote:The low mass and speed + narrow frontal area result in below minimum ft-lbs and (iirc) Permanent Wound Channel for his State.
Only animals creating damage to landscape or structures on Private Land can be culled, if his State Statutes are the same as TX.

Tx has no minimum caliber/wound channel requirement for game animals, the only restriction in no rimfire.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

RJT wrote:
whiterussian1974 wrote:The low mass and speed + narrow frontal area result in below minimum ft-lbs and (iirc) Permanent Wound Channel for his State.
Tx has no minimum caliber/wound channel requirement for game animals, the only restriction in no rimfire.
True. I was commenting on messer454's post. He doesn't state which State he is in.

dtom29 ?ed why 300BLK would be illegal except for Damage Permits. That's to what I was referring. Some States have minimum caliber/energy requirements.

Most African Nations require .375 H&H Mag for many of their game. Especially the "Big 5." Elephant, Tiger, Rhino, etc. I forget what CO, KS, MO, Kentucky, AR, etc require for deer, etc.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

Anything not smaller than .22 centerfire is legal in AR.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Thanks WhiteRussian, we don't have anything like that here in Pa.
jandbj
Silent But Deadly

Post by jandbj »